Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was made to be a competition to Pique Cup AFAIK.

In my opinion it appears to be a very good tournament and its future seems bright. The teams and players are really involved, the quality of the matches is on a good level, the teams are pumped up and I really enjoy watching it. For me it is even better than old DC, because everything takes place in one place in one time, so you can follow it closely and you don't have to wait 3 months for the next tie.

Of course there is no such atmosphere in the stands, as during the DC, but still it is OK imo. There are some positive surprises like f.e. Team Japan or Kacper Zuk from Polska, but there are also some dubious ones like Cuevas' shenanigans or matches like Metreveli - Roncadeli, which I don't believe fit even to the ITF tour, but that was to be expected.

There are some things to improve of course, but this is the premiere edition. To sum up - strong 8/10 and I prefer it to the traditional start of the season.

What do you think ?

PS. Goffin - Nadal is a great match
PPS. Pique can hide in shame

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
needless crap as Laver and Davis cup.

·
22,246 Posts
It’s okay but the format is a bit too complicated. 2nd runners up is stupid as well. Just make 8 groups or 4 groups and make a direct QF after group stages. Also not a fan of travelling to another city. Unnecessary jet lag and brutal for the player. Could be very exhausting, increases the luck factor for players that don’t trouble at all. Australia is getting an insane advantage by not only playing in the same city all the way but having an extra day of rest as opposed to Spain lmao

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It’s okay but the format is a bit too complicated. 2nd runners up is stupid as well. Just make 8 groups or 4 groups and make a direct QF after group stages. Also not a fan of travelling to another city. Unnecessary jet lag and brutal for the played. Could be very exhausting
I think having some matches in Perth is okay but they need to do it so those groups allocated to Perth never have to play the first day of QFs. That was totally unfair.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Timing of this cup is bad. Players are supposed to rest and prepare for AO now.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I like it. It is a pretty lengthy team event that is happening across three different cities giving some breather to the players. For that reason, I am liking ATP cup more than Davis Cup. Davis Cup is a bit tight in schedule.

needless crap as Laver and Davis cup.
Laver Cup is crap for sure; it is one-sided, it is staged, and it looks like a pretentious and fake event. ATP Cup and Davis Cup are not.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
There has been some intriguing matchups, that you wouldn't expect so early in the season due to the format having both number ones playing each other. So for that alone this is a good event.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't think the top players who participate in the event play as seriously as they do in regular tournaments, but this tournament sure gives them some opportunities to warm up for the bigger events ahead, and fans can also have a chance to see some of the best players in the world face off so early in the season, which means good money for the organizers. Although we can't expect to see high quality or higly competitive matches as the players are still warming up, it has some postives regarding the players' preparation for the AO and fans' opporrtunities to see top players play as well.
By the way, this is my very first post on the forum, so please welcome me, guys.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It is not an obligatory tournament, who wanted to rest had the option to do so without any penalties
Non-obligatory tournament put right before a slam is destined to be irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Non-obligatory tournament put right before a slam is destined to be irrelevant.
So every non obligatory tournament that takes place two weeks before a Slam is irrelevant ? So there are a lot of them - ATP Cup, Doha, Auckland, Adelaide, Lyon, Geneva, Queens, Halle, Eastbourne, Mallorca and Winston-Salem.

Queens is irrelveant ? It is put right before a Slam....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
So every non obligatory tournament that takes place two weeks before a Slam is irrelevant ? So there are a lot of them - ATP Cup, Doha, Auckland, Adelaide, Lyon, Geneva, Queens, Halle, Eastbourne, Mallorca and Winston-Salem.

Queens is irrelveant ? It is put right before a Slam....
Pretty much, especially "tournaments" at the very beginning of the season.

We'll make the exception with Halle, which should objectively be counted as the 5th slam, and all it's past titles added to the total number of slams retroactively.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It’s okay but the format is a bit too complicated. 2nd runners up is stupid as well. Just make 8 groups or 4 groups and make a direct QF after group stages. Also not a fan of travelling to another city. Unnecessary jet lag and brutal for the played. Could be very exhausting
This...its bad enough if everyone has to travel between a match...One possibly two QFinalist getting to stay at same venue while the other 2 travel and have no time to adjust is f**king stupid!!!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The point distribution is unfair.
Points should be counted after AO at least, but I think there even shouldn't be any points possible to get.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Super Moderator
13,520 Posts
I think Perth location was a mistake, I'm betting they don't go back next year, probably Canberra and short travel for all would have made more sense.

They could use some adjustments with the #2 players, but the #1 set up was excellent, and made for some great match ups.

AO always suffers from many players in poor form in the early rounds, more match play at ATP CUP will improve the quality at AO ,and they all have plenty of time now to recoup.

Got to see quite a few matches, best early season yet, often follow week 1 and 2 , and mostly crap matches, many players enter AO with 1 match with bad form.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts