Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Well I walked right into that lol, do I need to brush up on my Latin?

I think he's got us, it has to be peoplekind, and maybe person-made.
Earthling-kind / earthling-made? :) Discriminatory against extra-terrestrials though (note: 'aliens'... xenophobic).

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
slightly off topic, just something a young thinking person should consider in order to avoid some common traps, I got that idea reading these interesting posts so far.

Before toying with any ideas, or 'expressing yourself' everyone needs a solid fact based foundation. It means that you need a good command over basic facts of life, the legitimacy of which you have to be able to demonstrate employing logic and reason. So that should precede any kind of interpretations.

Few things in real life are 'equal' and the truth is not always the preferred way, it may very well be, but it is not necessarily what you 'feel' to be. History has shown that believing words coming from other person just because they are believable and we would love the words to be true is a wrong way for the individual and the community. And especially being hurt or even wronged doesn't alone make anyone right.

I am happy to see some trends, especially in modern science, that again seem to favor the experiment and practice over theory, paper formulas and attempts to squeeze the rich reality into pre-modeled concepts regardless of how beautiful, well developed and genius they may be. The entire XX century was like that in almost all aspects of life, unfortunately it has included even science, which is a paradox. Real discovery comes from being open and curious, no limits, but also critical, demanding evidence and demonstration. That is why especially human sciences have been one big fail in the past several decades. I think there is this important shift going on right now, which I first noticed in physics (no surprise there), a few years ago.

I am no philosopher and I don't read as much as I used to. I don't know who this Peterson is but he cited his influences, I read that somewhere, and I liked that part. We had similar sources. But when Roxitova said 'Writes idiotic books with "rules" for living--this should give him away to anyone with a brain.' I agreed with that statement too. I am just not familiar with the man and his work, will check and maybe contribute with few thoughts on topic, I like topics like this one.

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
slightly off topic, just something a young thinking person should consider in order to avoid some common traps, I got that idea reading these interesting posts so far.

Before toying with any ideas, or 'expressing yourself' everyone needs a solid fact based foundation. It means that you need a good command over basic facts of life, the legitimacy of which you have to be able to demonstrate employing logic and reason. So that should precede any kind of interpretations.

Few things in real life are 'equal' and the truth is not always the preferred way, it may very well be, but it is not necessarily what you 'feel' to be. History has shown that believing words coming from other person just because they are believable and we would love the words to be true is a wrong way for the individual and the community. And especially being hurt or even wronged doesn't alone make anyone right.

I am happy to see some trends, especially in modern science, that again seem to favor the experiment and practice over theory, paper formulas and attempts to squeeze the rich reality into pre-modeled concepts regardless of how beautiful, well developed and genius they may be. The entire XX century was like that in almost all aspects of life, unfortunately it has included even science, which is a paradox. Real discovery comes from being open and curious, no limits, but also critical, demanding evidence and demonstration. That is why especially human sciences have been one big fail in the past several decades. I think there is this important shift going on right now, which I first noticed in physics (no surprise there), a few years ago.

I am no philosopher and I don't read as much as I used to. I don't know who this Peterson is but he cited his influences, I read that somewhere, and I liked that part. We had similar sources. But when Roxitova said 'Writes idiotic books with "rules" for living--this should give him away to anyone with a brain.' I agreed with that statement too. I am just not familiar with the man and his work, will check and maybe contribute with few thoughts on topic, I like topics like this one.
His book, 12 Rules for Living, has been #1 on NYT bestseller list. His fame from that has taken him on speaking engagements around the world.

He sprang to prominence when he took umbrage at maybe having, by law, to learn the preferred pronoun every one of his students might prefer. Up to 31 different pronouns. Some students at UofT wanted him fired for such arrogance.

Why do you agree with roxita that his having a bestseller means that only idiots would like him? Maybe you did not mean to say that.
Roxita should pause to remember that books written for people who want to be told how to improve their lives are nearly always written but progressives, for progressives. Roxita is probably just pissed that his book is a world-wide best-seller.

·
Registered
26,043 Posts
I watched his videos for a few weeks after seeing him on Rogan. To me this beef/salt/water-only diet he is doing is just weird and makes it hard to rate him a smart human being.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
His book, 12 Rules for Living, has been #1 on NYT bestseller list. His fame from that has taken him on speaking engagements around the world.

He sprang to prominence when he took umbrage at maybe having, by law, to learn the preferred pronoun every one of his students might prefer. Up to 31 different pronouns. Some students at UofT wanted him fired for such arrogance.

Why do you agree with roxita that his having a bestseller means that only idiots would like him? Maybe you did not mean to say that.
Roxita should pause to remember that books written for people who want to be told how to improve their lives are nearly always written but progressives, for progressives. Roxita is probably just pissed that his book is a world-wide best-seller.
It's my prejudice, I am not someone who would buy a book with such title, and maybe Peterson wouldn't either, maybe I'm more like him preferring to offer some advice. I wanted to say it was my initial reaction, and I agree such books are probably more often than not written by progressives, for progressives.

I just remembered a German novel called Perfume which was recommended to me and it turned out to be great and enjoyable despite the title that I highly doubt would have attracted me. So yeah, don't judge a book by its cover, I have found the idiom to be literally true a few times.

There is an old joke about a guy who advertised a proven and simple advice to get rich quickly for 1$. When he collected like a million requests he sent them a letter with one line: "Do something like I just did".

I have absolutely nothing against Peterson's success, on the contrary, and didn't mean to belittle someone I know next to nothing about. And I think you know what I think about all this PC rubbish. When I see who has influenced him, I think it's probably worth checking him out.

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
I would never buy such a book either. But I would not mock people who do. It says more about the mocker than the mocked.

Jung was his main influence.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I watched his videos for a few weeks after seeing him on Rogan. To me this beef/salt/water-only diet he is doing is just weird and makes it hard to rate him a smart human being.
I'm also skeptical of the 'meat only diet'. Although, my understanding is that suitable diets are in the end individual/particular to each person, despite some generic recommendations that seemingly are preferable for the majority.

Could develop problems e.g. with constipation, scurvy (lack of vitamin C), and elevated LDL cholesterol, thus elevated risk of a heart disease, as well as elevated risk of developing cancer.

https://www.sciencealert.com/what-would-happen-if-you-only-eat-meat
https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/21639/cancer-prevention/diet-exercise/nutrition-diet/fruit-vegetables/meat-and-cancer/ ("There is now a clear body of evidence that bowel cancer is more common among those who eat the most red and processed meat. Processed meat consumption has also been strongly linked to a higher risk of stomach cancer.")

Not to mention the environmental burden.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
This whole posts reeks of the self-described progressive view that anything or anyone that does not toe the progressive line is to be stomped out.

It exactly defines why universities are suffocating and becoming institutions where free speech is abhorred instead of revered.

Of all places, universities are where young people should expect to be confronting opposing views. And instead of fostering an intellectual ability to discuss them, the mantra of today is to silence anything that is an opposing view to that of the progressives.

Anyone who is interested should find the ‘Laurier University Lindsay Shepard audio" on YouTube. Her secret taping of the inquisition was what saved her from these repulsive professors. It is chilling how these three progressive professors try to beat up on the student, even telling her that it is none of her business who, or even how many of her students, complained. It was later revealed that there was no complaint. Yet this professor lied and told Lindsay the names of the people complaining were kept secret so as not to risk their safety! It later transpired that a professor overheard Lindsay's students discussing their class and ran to the authorities to tell them that heresy was being taught at Laurier!
During the inquisition the progressives keep on insisting that non-progressive views must not be presented to students, driving Lindsay to tears, but she fights back and reduces her inquisitor to silence. When this happens, another of the three inquisitors picks up the baton and tries to continue the inquisition, but eventually is also reduced to silence.
The lead inquisitor instructs Lindsay that in a class on the use of grammar, showing a Peterson video is akin to showing a Hitler video.
He tells her such videos should only be introduced by first telling the class how wrong the content is. She replies that her concept of teaching is to let the class debate the opinions. The progressive inquisitors seem to think that the students are not mature enough to debate opinions and should be told what opinions are correct and what opinions are not acceptable.
Eventually Lindsay is reduced to tears and says that she does not even like the views of Peterson, but that is not reason to tell the class that the views expressed are not hers. Just as it was not necessary to tell the class in advance that an opposing video was the "correct" one. At university level, teaching is not just a matter of saying this is what is right and this is what is wrong. That is for kindergarden.

The whole thing sounds like some kind of "re-education" in a Communist gulag from the fifties. Roxitova should feel like an ass for applauding such anti-intellectual behaviour by the very people that are supposed to be intellectuals. But if you are not too bright you might easily be brain-washed by these pseudo intellectuals that pervade our universities and tell their students that stifling opposing views is their mission in furthering the progressive cause.
They are actually being hoodwinked into being "oppressives", not progressives.

And the saddest part of all is that the university finally concluded that the inquisitors should maybe try to be somewhat less belligerent in the future disciplining of teachers who present for discussion views that may be discomforting to some students.

Edit; This just in. I pick up my newspaper this morning and find that all over England, universities are changing the written word "woman" to "womxn". I kid you not. The good news is that the pronunciation has not yet been changed. So this is where roxita and her merry band of progressives has led us. Monty Python-like skits are the new reality.
I thought the Cambridge decision to ban applause at debates, in order to not upset people who do not like applause, and replace it with waving hands in the air, was the ultimate in progressive buffoonery, but it seems it is merely the beginning.As someone joked, this is unfair to blind people. How will they know when to stop waving their hands?
I don't have time to read your long tome.
But I looked at the last paragraph and I am also against PC lingo garbage, and consider the far left pretty insane and inane these days.
The left has gotten so much stupider, along with the right, in the past 30 years.
I'm old enough for the "old left" of the 70s and saw a much better left then.

But none of that justifies Jordan P. He's a bit of a demagogue, and not too bright either. Regardless of whatever stupidity is happening with PC lingo, Peterson has no answer to any of it, and only adds more poison to the pot.
The far left isn't wrong about racism, sexism, homophobia, btw. It's just the stance they take that's ridiculous. But the cause is correct.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I would never buy such a book either. But I would not mock people who do. It says more about the mocker than the mocked.

LOL re mocker than mocked.
So subtle!
So calvinistic and sanctimonious.

Good thing you have Abraxas to make you look sound.

Wait .... that says more about the mocker than the mocked.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
But none of that justifies Jordan P. He's a bit of a demagogue, and not too bright either. Regardless of whatever stupidity is happening with PC lingo, Peterson has no answer to any of it, and only adds more poison to the pot.
The far left isn't wrong about racism, sexism, homophobia, btw. It's just the stance they take that's ridiculous. But the cause is correct.
Why is a renowned and respected professor not too bright? Are you measuring him against your own achievements?

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I mean I can't say I know the guy, first time heard in this thread, but he seems like a clever guy and knows his stuff around his expertise (phycology), but why does everyone feel like they have to say something regarding politics? I am a political science grad, (also had MA afterwards) I really can't understand why respected intellectuals feel forced to reveal their political position about current events or say something controversial, and usually bottle it ultimately, together with their interesting looking persona or opinions

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I do agree with what he says after 1:12. However, to suggest that people who go through a rough time while serving return home wanting to carry out an organized and systematic genocide (going all the way to putting children into ovens) is a really ignorant thing to say.

One thing I find odd is the non-reaction from the two hosts, who are in fact jewish.

All in all, I have listened to this man talk about various subjects and it's hard to consider him anything else but an eloquent right-wing conservative.

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
I do agree with what he says after 1:12. However, to suggest that people who go through a rough time while serving return home wanting to carry out an organized and systematic genocide (going all the way to putting children into ovens) is a really ignorant thing to say.

One thing I find odd is the non-reaction from the two hosts, who are in fact jewish.

All in all, I have listened to this man talk about various subjects and it's hard to consider him anything else but an eloquent right-wing conservative.
I though he was saying that Hitler saw they felt a need to blame something for their misfortunes and Hitler exploited that need.

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I though he was saying that Hitler saw they felt a need to blame something for their misfortunes and Hitler exploited that need.
That's post 1:12 when he goes from Hitler's personal war experience to how he managed to gain the support of a large portion of the german population.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Peterson's biggest success is his effortless ability to trigger the journalista, the feminista and the so called experts. His haters makes him greater and it's delightful to watch. :drool:

I agree with you here Buddy Holly.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts