Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many are you familiar with him? And what do you think about him. I discovered him little over a year ago and binge watched his videos on YT for a week.

·
Registered
20,221 Posts
I'm more of a Sam Harris person, but still he makes a lot of good points

I just don't like the way he attempts to redefine known concepts in ways that are convenient to him, or completely even obfuscates the term, for instance the way he deals with the concept of "God"

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Very familiar with him as he is based out of Toronto. He is excellent and has a great ability to not get abused by the emotional charged entrapments of left wing extremists who are controlling academia and the press here in Canada.

Here is one of my favourites and probably the interview that blew him up.

The first 20 mins is a great discussion on gender equality - watch between 22-23 mins where he completely ties her up to the point of being speechless.

I like him because he is one of the few who will stand up with articulate and academic arguments to combat extreme left wing ideologues who are barnstorming academics and public education here in Canada.

I don't agree with all of his takes, but no matter as he is an excellent thinker and communicator.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Smart guy, wrong side of the fence.
Advanced version of Deepak Chopra.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
He uses his charisma and oratory skills to introduce God/supernatural into some of his talks, the Christian God to be precise. And he is very slippery around it. It is difficult to see past his words, but after spending some effort you can. "Is Jesus' resurrection real? His spirit certainly lives on. Spirit is a pattern of being. Patterns can be transmitted across various substrates - electronic impulses, air, vibrations in your ear. The pattern is independent of its material substrate. Did his body resurrect? I don't know.".

Deepak Chopra does the same stuff with hinduism, just that he isn't as smart or charismatic.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I enjoy his 12 rules for life. He says a lot of great things, but I think the thing that stuck most to me was the idea of fixing yourself before attempting to fix the world beutifully conveyed with the clean your own room metaphor.
Also the idea that idea that you can't really be moral without having the power to do harm.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,394 Posts
You binge watched videos for a week and say you don’t have the patience to read a book??????

Is the era of literature over?
in other words he wants to use less brain power to achieve the 'same' result.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,394 Posts
He uses his charisma and oratory skills to introduce God/supernatural into some of his talks, the Christian God to be precise. And he is very slippery around it. It is difficult to see past his words, but after spending some effort you can. "Is Jesus' resurrection real? His spirit certainly lives on. Spirit is a pattern of being. Patterns can be transmitted across various substrates - electronic impulses, air, vibrations in your ear. The pattern is independent of its material substrate. Did his body resurrect? I don't know.".

Deepak Chopra does the same stuff with hinduism, just that he isn't as smart or charismatic.
lel. That doesn't really give much information, it's very wishy washy. He could do some reading on the topic. But at least he is honest on his opinion here.

·
RAVE ON
18,075 Posts
I like his anti-PC stance, but he always sounds so angry.

Last year a grad student teaching assistant in a Canadian university showed one of his videos in a class. Her "progressive" prof hauled her into a meeting, where she was confronted by four staff members, who told her that showing a Peterson video was like showing a Hitler video and she should never have done this without warning her students, so as to avoid any triggering. She said that she presented the video neutrally, and left the students to decide for themselves, if they agreed with Peterson.

This wise young woman secretly recorded the meeting. She got a complete apology. And the progressive professor? The university decided that there need to be more dialogue. In other words, the progressives could continue in their ways, but just try not to get caught repressing free speech.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
My impression from these few videos (never heard of him before) is that he's peddling something, besides books and lectures.

Also he seems to be a part of orchestrated gender war that's getting a lot of time in the media between more or less extreme male chauvinists/traditionalists and feminists, which is just veiled dehumanizing agenda.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
in other words he wants to use less brain power to achieve the 'same' result.
Ok, maybe binge listened is a better term. I work 12 hours/day but half the time I'm not super invested, so I can multitask, listen to ebooks. It's way harder to multitask and read a book, and yes, focusing my attention 100% on a book feels a bit like wasted time to me, unless it's something technical that I really need to master for my job.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like his anti-PC stance, but he always sounds so angry.

Last year a grad student teaching assistant in a Canadian university showed one of his videos in a class. Her "progressive" prof hauled her into a meeting, where she was confronted by four staff members, who told her that showing a Peterson video was like showing a Hitler video and she should never have done this without warning her students, so as to avoid any triggering. She said that she presented the video neutrally, and left the students to decide for themselves, if they agreed with Peterson.

This wise young woman secretly recorded the meeting. She got a complete apology. And the progressive professor? The university decided that there need to be more dialogue. In other words, the progressives could continue in their ways, but just try not to get caught repressing free speech.
So it's really that bad in universities? That's a part of his speech that I couldn't really verify, so I though that maybe he's exagerating a bit on that topic.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
He lives around the corner from me, and is alt right in sheep's clothing.

Really a piece of pseudo-intellectual crap.

Writes idiotic books with "rules" for living--this should give him away to anyone with a brain.

He initially spoke out against some PC language and the Charter of rights in Canada (he could have technically gone to jail for not using gender neutral pronouns and was protesting this) around trans-genderism and was brefily sympathetic--even I liked him 2 minutes.

Then he became an internet star fast and start spewing all kinds of garbage. There are many articles on him in Canada written by former friends who describe him as a little demagogue, kind of a creep.

Even the normally middle of the road national magazine Maclean's calls him "the stupid person's smart person"

I think that's accurate.

If you're a progressive, look deeper into him and you will find him repulsive.

If not, and you're not too bright, he might be your man!

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
His recent interview with Helen Lewis for GQ was quite interesting. I hope that his tendency to cite Dostoevsky will lead some of the victims of modern education to read more great literature and spend less time on the internet.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts