Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did he suddenly turn into this god-tier player while in his 30s? I mean, he was always talented, but I've never seen such a drastic improvement so late in a career. Would love to read an interview from him about what he thinks changed.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
shedding that burdensome family once and for all.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I remember that he quitted his wife to refocus his career because he had the belief he could win a slam if he gave 100% to tennis.

Seems like multiples years of hardwork , dedication and deep belief finally paid off.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Nothing, he could well turn up on the grass and lose early at Queens and Wimbledon, when he's on he looks unbeatable sometimes and then other times his base level isn't very good.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
It isn't all that different from how Soderling started GOATing all of a sudden. The elements were always there, but he has managed to gain the mindset and the consistency to use his weapons over a longer duration of time.

·
23,941 Posts
I remember that he quitted his wife to refocus his career because he had the belief he could win a slam if he gave 100% to tennis.
But that was before he actually won Slams. I think he had a slump after the first separation, and returned after 1 year. It was until Stan got with Norman in which he got this incredible mojo. He was with Ilham during his AO and MC (the latter she was even in the final there) runs and we really are not sure the reason of their second (and sadly it seems true) separation is.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Stocky, late twenties, short (tennis standard anyway) who doesn't even look like an athlete suddenly starts hitting the ball harder than anyone and never gets tired?

Great coaching, obviously.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Answer can be only one: Magnus Norman.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Stocky, late twenties, short (tennis standard anyway) who doesn't even look like an athlete suddenly starts hitting the ball harder than anyone and never gets tired?

Great coaching, obviously.
:worship:

·
Registered
994 Posts
But that was before he actually won Slams. I think he had a slump after the first separation, and returned after 1 year. It was until Stan got with Norman in which he got this incredible mojo. He was with Ilham during his AO and MC (the latter she was even in the final there) runs and we really are not sure the reason of their second (and sadly it seems true) separation is.
In their first sepration, Wawrinka gave the explanation that his family was taking too much time and energy and was distracting him too much from tennis. He said to her that he really believed he could win something big. That's how he began. We don't know how they worked to get back together and under what terms, but Wawrinka's carreer has been much better after his newfound focus.

Not everybody can fin the balance between family life and successful tennis career. And seeing how Wawrinka is doing since 2012, it transformed his carreer.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what i don't understand is:

why is he so inefficient at grass with his aggressive game :confused:
He's similar to Soderling, needs time to wind up on his shots. On grass the ball flies through low and fast.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts