Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
23,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a Stan supporter, I am quite interested what changes he could do to improve on Grass. Last year, he was a Quarterfinalist on Wimbledon, being the first to take the first Set against the then unbreakable Federer at the time, just losing close in the next 3 Sets. Some say his problem is mostly on return and his preparation on his shots (too much windup) but I wonder what other holes he had that needs to be fixed. I think he could be flexible in faster surfaces (he did win Rotterdam against Muller, Raonic and Berdych) and he actually did well against Kyrgios in Queen's on return (I just think his reaction time was hindered a bit against Anderson with the pressure of trying to beat someone who beat him 3 times straight). His first serve if high is going to be a potent and important factor on the following matches so I wonder what he could do to follow it up.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
He actually played great tactic last year, many times serve and volley, so he needs high first serve %. He can't let the percentage go down like in the RG semi, even there he was very lucky that Tsonga didn't convert bp in the third set and he was bossing all but every rally. This is a different surface, his power isn't such a big advantage now, he needs that first serve and easy holds, because he's going to have a problem to break serve. That's the area he needs to get a bit better, and his slice could be better as well. But look at last year, comfortable wins till the QF, which was very close against in form Fed, that's just not bad. With a good draw, he could make it far, but I think his mentality and some dangerous player will make him pay for the lack of first serve an inability to break.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
And I disagree he needs a huge wind up for his shots. Some spread about nonsense. He is fine on fast surfaces and has been prolific at the us open as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yes definitely. Just put him Murray's quarter and see what he is capable of doing on his supposed worst surface.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
He didn't change the shorts, he's doomed in WMBL.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Why does he never attack the return.
That's one of the strangest phenomenon I have observed in a top player. He chips in play time and time again. It can work once or twice, but when it goes short that often you're in trouble, as evidenced against anderson, it was too short too often, impossible to break then.
He's got to learn to attack it without it going wide. He's got to strike the ball, not contract or brush it, strike it, like murray anderson djokovic, STRIKE THE DAMN BALL!!!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
At his age he can't do anything regarding his groundstroke technique but what's within his reach is
1) serving better, i.e. getting more first serves in
2) improving shot selection at the net (the amount of putaways he fucks up is ludicrous)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
At his age he can't do anything regarding his groundstroke technique but what's within his reach is
1) serving better, i.e. getting more first serves in
2) improving shot selection at the net (the amount of putaways he fucks up is ludicrous)
Yea this is ridiculous too!
And that return has to improve!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Why do you think he can suddenly improve his return when he is 30 years old and near the end of his career?
Well, sometimes he does strike the ball. I get the feeling he's scared to send it out at times. His coach should be there to help him dispatch or dispel apprehensions rather, and guide him down that new road. Instead of striking it once out of 100 returns how about 100 times out of a hundred. The man has won 2 grand slams, changing the return like murray has done is a mild change really, but with a big impact on his overall game certainly

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
It's really simple. Learn to use offensive slice. Actually use it anyway for starters.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
I don't know how he can improve, but in order to win a helluva lot Wimbledon titles, he would just need to draw Djokovic in every round. Hypothetically speaking of course.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I think that some of you guys fail to understand that pro players are who they are. Their style of play is formed early, very early ... There is nothing that top or lower ranked players can really change significantly in their 20s. Some little tweaks here and there and that's it.

It all comes to their respective drive or confidence. Stan is a good player. I've always liked watching him ... he's been losing to big guys for so long, yet he has found a way to win big tournaments and I respect that.

There is nothing that Stan can do to improve on grass. Stan is not 16yo. He just needs to play his game. Being aggressive payed off at RG this year and at the AO last year.

The thing is that he is not that consistent. But again, I'm not sure where his priorities are.

IMHO, he does have the best one hand backhand in the world and it is beautiful.

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
Yes definitely. Just put him Murray's quarter and see what he is capable of doing on his supposed worst surface.
He would be capable of reaching the quarters at best then. Probably a R4 defeat though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts