Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Unfair umpiring

Votes: 9 9.5%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more hate I promise, this is just a discussion. After 2011's final loss, he hasn't made the 4th round, has lost R2, R1, R4, R2 respectively. What are your scientific or logical explanations for this phenomenon?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Re: What are your reasons for Nadal sudden irrelevance on Grass?

lost his aura ( like ALL the goats....) and especially, his physicall condition

·
Registered
1,219 Posts

His physical condition has declined. That's the basic reason.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I mean he was taken twice to 5 in the first week in 2010 and he ended up winning that one. Brown and Dal play that match a week from now and it's probably Dal in 4.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
None of above. He's inherently bad on grass, except 2006-2008.
In 2010 Dull should have lost in early rounds, but he cheated out the first week and miraculously played out of the world in the second week. I've never seen a player raising his level so drastically during a tournament, so obviously some mysterious substance helped him fluke through the title.

·
Banned
923 Posts
He's unable to bend his knees efficiently due to tendonitis. Grass is the clumsiest surface for him now, no reaction time because of physical decline.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Nadal has always struggled in the first week on grass, but he's managed to tough it out in the past. Since 2012, he's been ever so slightly declining in various aspects of his game, some of which is mental -- which may have been due to Djokovic in 2011. You'll get some interesting results if you look at the years in which Nadal lost matches after winning the first set.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

He always struggled in the first week. Decline in forehand + less confidence now results in the loss of key points which would have resulted in victory in his peak years.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
"sudden"? It's been almost 5 years.

·
Banned
182 Posts
He always struggled in the earlier rounds of Wimbledon even when he was making all those finals. It's just that he isn't physically or mentally as good as he was back in the day, hence why he has been losing in early rounds since 2011.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
He has always been suspect the first week of the tournament. It's just now that people are playing a bit more consistently against him and his speed/power can't counteract it.

Prime Nadal's footwork was good for grass (and every other surface). The problem was always that he didn't change they way he played with spin at SW19. He should have also incorporated S&V. I still think if he sticks around the game for a few more years and is healthy, he can make a deep run (SF) at Wimbledon. I do not think he will ever in it again.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think it´s very much a mental problem, too. In the second set as well as the beginning of the third he seemed very comfortable and dominating but as soon as Brown was playing better and putting pressure on him, he cracked down.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I mean he was taken twice to 5 in the first week in 2010 and he ended up winning that one. Brown and Dal play that match a week from now and it's probably Dal in 4.
I don't think so. On grass 5 sets matches are not uncommon. The difference is he used to win them and now he loses every tight match. He is done mentally, maybe for the year or maybe forever. Until he starts playing his FH consistently with confidence he is not winning anything.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Basically the book on playing leftie moonballers was released by the coaches and Peak fed isn't around anymore to take out his bad match ups for him. A combination of those two factors.

He had a lot of success being awkward to play against and the counter to Federers game. Now the field has simply adjusted to all the players on tour. No more surprises.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Hmmm none of the above. His losses in 2012 and 2013 were because he was injured. As for 2014 and 2015, he met 2 players that went for their shots and landed them. Plus he missed 6 months due to injury. He will get back his groove.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts