Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
11,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are Wawrinka's chances at the U.S. Open... if he goes into "Stanimal" Mode?

All hypothetical and Wawrinka is incredibly inconsistent, but.... if he goes into "Stanimal" Mode, what are his chances?

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: What are Warwrinka's chances at the U.S. Open... if he goes into "Stanimal" Mode?

Surely he would win the title. He did really well in the 2013 SF vs. Djokovic, and that wasn't his peak level (not in a sustained duration like AO 14/FO 15 anyway).

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: What are Warwrinka's chances at the U.S. Open... if he goes into "Stanimal" Mode?

If he really goes into his Stanimal mode, Earth collapses.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

He's made at least the qf of all slams since 2013 bar a couple. If he gets to the final at Wimbledon somehow I think he will go far and maybe wib at USO

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

100%

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Not great, he is a poor mover and faster surfaces will expose that. Stanimal/Rosol mode aka ballbasher mode is hardly consistent. Tsonga might have gotten rid of him in the semis if he wasn't a mug these days.

I expect early losses at both Wimbledon and US Open or a beatdown from Novak if he makes it to the semis.

·
11,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Not great, he is a poor mover and faster surfaces will expose that. Stanimal/Rosol mode aka ballbasher mode is hardly consistent. Tsonga might have gotten rid of him in the semis if he wasn't a mug these days.

I expect early losses at both Wimbledon and US Open or a beatdown from Novak if he makes it to the semis.
Who knows what could happen if he meets Murray in the QF's :p

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

Surely he would win the title. He did really well in the 2013 SF vs. Djokovic, and that wasn't his peak level (not in a sustained duration like AO 14/FO 15 anyway).
No!! Let me explain to you how it works. Players WILL BE STUDYING WRINKANATOR NOW. Seeing how best to play him to negate his ball bashing power. Understand THIS. WRINKANATOR was allowed a ball bashing pass by Novak. Who approached the final in the wrong way.

A smart player will keep the points short. And take the WRINKANATOR out of his comfort zone. Great first serve is ESSENTIAL. So you have WRINKS IN defensive mode most of time. You don't give him half as many looks at powerful ground strokes. Wrinks could never have pulled that shit on PETE SAMPRAS. he would have been fighting to play the serve back into play.

If anyone noticed. Anytime Novak served well. Wrinks had no answer. Once Novaks serve dropped in level and he started doing too many lobs and desperate drop shots. He allowed Wrinks to dictate the match. And thats when he lost control of the match.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

All hypothetical and Wawrinka is incredibly inconsistent, but.... if he goes into "Stanimal" Mode, what are his chances?
HC Stanimal always has to beat Djokovic and Nishikori to win his HC slam half in the first place, so not an easy task to even make the USO finals, and then in the finals there could be a guy like Cilic who didn't break a sweat in winning Fedal's rigged half.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

I like Nole but if Stan wins his third, that would really give me a tickle. I will finally have enough ammunition to conquer the British on this site once and for all just like our founding fathers did centuries ago.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

No!! Let me explain to you how it works. Players WILL BE STUDYING WRINKANATOR NOW. Seeing how best to play him to negate his ball bashing power. Understand THIS. WRINKANATOR was allowed a ball bashing pass by Novak. Who approached the final in the wrong way.

A smart player will keep the points short. And take the WRINKANATOR out of his comfort zone. Great first serve is ESSENTIAL. So you have WRINKS IN defensive mode most of time. You don't give him half as many looks at powerful ground strokes. Wrinks could never have pulled that shit on PETE SAMPRAS. he would have been fighting to play the serve back into play.

If anyone noticed. Anytime Novak served well. Wrinks had no answer. Once Novaks serve dropped in level and he started doing too many lobs and desperate drop shots. He allowed Wrinks to dictate the match. And thats when he lost control of the match.
Easier said than done though. Obviously Federer's gameplan would have been to prevent Wawrinka dictating (as opposed to Djokovic who was being deliberately passive), but it did not work on the court.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Pretty good. He's been involved in the match of the tournament imo the last couple of years against Djokovic in '13 and Nishikori in '14... the latter of which was a bit of a choke on his part.

Djokovic and Federer have been weak at this slam in recent times... and who knows how Murray/Nadal will be playing by then. I've long thought of the USO as the most 'random' slam and could easily imagine someone outside the Big 4 claiming the title.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

How dumb do you have to be to claim that Wawrinka ballbashed in RG final, jeez. Just because his finishing shot was powerful, doesn't mean he was ballbashing. Perfect shot selection was the key of his success, not mindless ballbashing.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts

He can take a set against Tomic

·
Registered
448 Posts

HC Stanimal always has to beat Djokovic and Nishikori to win his HC slam half in the first place, so not an easy task to even make the USO finals, and then in the finals there could be a guy like Cilic who didn't break a sweat in winning Fedal's rigged half.
I thought there was a ranking system in place that determines draws? How do you rig it? Haha

I know Nadal won a lot of championships from Federer taking out his tougher matches and Nadal sweeps in as Kryptonite and vultures a slam but that's the closest thing I can think of as an unfair draw and there is no rigging involved there. Unless Uncle Toni pulled a New England Patriots type move and actually rigged it. Hmmm lol

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Pretty good. He's been involved in the match of the tournament imo the last couple of years against Djokovic in '13 and Nishikori in '14... the latter of which was a bit of a choke on his part.

Djokovic and Federer have been weak at this slam in recent times... and who knows how Murray/Nadal will be playing by then. I've long thought of the USO as the most 'random' slam and could easily imagine someone outside the Big 4 claiming the title.
The problem with Wawrinka is nobody knows how he will perform... If he reaches the final, my money is on him. He is a killer in finals. But he could also lose round 1. This is a guy who lost to Dimitrov on clay and then won the French Open

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

I thought there was a ranking system in place that determines draws? How do you rig it? Haha

I know Nadal won a lot of championships from Federer taking out his tougher matches and Nadal sweeps in as Kryptonite and vultures a slam but that's the closest thing I can think of as an unfair draw and there is no rigging involved there. Unless Uncle Toni pulled a New England Patriots type move and actually rigged it. Hmmm lol
Yep, there's a ranking system and a random drawing, and Nadal is just lucky to never be drawn in Djokovic half at AO, USO and Wimbledon since 2007 USO.

HC Stanimal is just unlucky he is always in Djokovic' half at AO and USO since 2012, the year Fedal is always just lucky to be always on the other side, no.

Last USO every HC contender was in Djokovic half, Stanimal, Nishi, Murray because Federer was just lucky, as Federer(Fedal) was just lucky at the last Wimbledon to be on the other side of the draw from Djokovic, Murray, Cilic, Tsonga, Dimitrov.

Do you really think Federer(Fedal) and their sponsors Nike, Kia etc. and TV stations and Slam directors will run out of their luck this Wimbledon or USO ?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts

lol @ the hype. Seems 'peak stan' is unbeatable. So overrated.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts