Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody know this? Or have a list with it? I'm just curious. I know someone posted a similar list but with challenger tournaments. I'm curious about the ATP events. I think Bogota should be first and i also know Madrid was played at a high-ish altitude too. Or am i wrong?

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Bogotá by far. Almost 2600m.

Madrid is like São Paulo, around 600-700m.

Don't know about Kitzbuhel and Gstaad, but it's not even close than Bogota.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Sao Paulo is quite high too if I'm not mistaken
Checked the figure and Sao Paulo is indeed quite high. Had no idea.

Bogotá by far. Almost 2600m.

Madrid is like São Paulo, around 600-700m.

Don't know about Kitzbuhel and Gstaad, but it's not even close than Bogota.
Nothing compares to Bogota on the tour. Those two are top five however.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bogota altitude is insane :eek: Also tournaments with higher altitude tend to advantage players who like fast courts am i right? And the bounce is lower too, right?

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Bogota altitude is insane :eek: Also tournaments with higher altitude tend to advantage players who like fast courts am i right? And the bounce is lower too, right?
I'm not especially familiar with tennis played at altitude besides not especially high Madrid; the court problems there also muddy the question of altitude's effect on conditions. But it's well known in the baseball world that Denver's Coors Field (a mile high) is a hitters' paradise. The ball moves more quickly through the air (power flat shots in tennis would like this) and pitchers get less movement on their pitches (I presume top spin guys would be hurt by this, but I've never heard it mentioned by commentators). Playing at altitude also benefits players with superior physical conditioning due to the thin air making breathing more difficult, though a person can eventually adjust to this.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Altitude > lower air density > ball loses less pace in flight > ball hits court with more energy > ball comes off court faster and higher.

There's a clear correlation between serve stats and altitude also, not too surprisingly.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Can't wait for the Gooch to make a qualies appearance at Bogota and win through to the final.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Random bump.

What is Rio like?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Quito is highest isn't it?

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
The SA Open while it was still played was quite high. Joburg is above 1700m

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
The ball travels quicker through the court in Madrid but it's higher bouncing than Rome for example. So I think since the air density is lower at higher altitudes, the ball travels faster through the court.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I just said that one post above yours.:|

This thread was created in 2014, when Bogota was the highest.
Yes I saw that after I posted, haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts