Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three matches comes to my mind:

Nadal over Djokovic @ Hamburg'08 SF: Djokovic was threatening to strip Nadal of #2 behind Federer if he wins the match and was clearly the best player in the world at the beginning of 2008..Nadal, so far hardly all-conquering on the Clay stretch, guts out a terrific three setter and goes on to submit the 2nd most dominant Slam performance ever in modern era crushing opponent with scary ease at RG'08..The rest, is a glorious summer and #1...Equally, the loss sets back Djokovic's ascendant power..

Djokovic over Troicki (R1) and Federer (SF) @ USO'10: Djokovic was reeling from the horrific Todd Martin experiment..In R1 vs. Troicki, he goes down two sets to one and 1-3 in the fourth, but comesback to win in 5 ..

In the SF vs. Federer, he saves 2 matches points with the most gutsy and plucky FH play he's has ever put under pressure..Even as he went on to lose the Final to Nadal, Nole 2.0 who would crush it for the entire 2011 season, was born in opinion in those 3 consecutive games he strung together to win in the fifth set of that semis..

Discuss and contribute in troll-free and tedious-less (you know who you are :wavey:) spirit :cool:

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
I think beating Dimitrov at the US Open really changed Joao Sousa's career from that of a 70-130, and gave him the confidence to climb to where he is now. That was the first to spring to mind, when considering players who have had huge career changes recently.

For other players who have had a change in fortunes recently, I can't pin it down to one match.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
This is all speculation but Roddick losing to Federer in the 2003 Wimbledon semi-final. Had Roddick won that one, who knows when Federer would've made his slam breakthrough.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Djokovic over Troicki (R1) and Federer (SF) @ USO'10: Djokovic was reeling from the horrific Todd Martin experiment..In R1 vs. Troicki, he goes down two sets to one and 1-3 in the fourth, but comesback to win in 5 ..

In the SF vs. Federer, he saves 2 matches points with the most gutsy and plucky FH play he's has ever put under pressure..Even as he went on to lose the Final to Nadal, Nole 2.0 who would crush it for the entire 2011 season, was born in opinion in those 3 consecutive games he strung together to win in the fifth set of that semis..

Who under-rates this? This vicrtory helped shape Djokovic's career and gave him the fearless confidence to go on that streak run in 2011.

Without this victory, I genuinely don't believe Novak would have felt invincible enough to have mounted that run in did in 2011, where he finally fell short to Federer at the french Open.

Every proper tennis follower that has an understanding of the ATP tour knows just how pinnacle this victory was in molding Djokovic's career. Suprised he lost the final to Rafa following mind you, would have thought he'd have had the momentum to surge on. Though we have to remember 2011 was when Djokovic hit his peak.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
This is all speculation but Roddick losing to Federer in the 2003 Wimbledon semi-final. Had Roddick won that one, who knows when Federer would've made his slam breakthrough.
You really think it would have been that much of a psychological hindrance to him? Despite the innate talent he possesses?

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
You really think it would have been that much of a psychological hindrance to him? Despite the innate talent he possesses?
No, I don't. It could've easily given Roddick that extra edge to go on and achieve bigger things into 2004 as well, though, if he had won over Federer, given that Federer probably wouldn't have came out firing in Australia like he did. Up until Federers win at Wimbledon in 2003, he was somewhat unpredictable. All I'm saying is that it could've easily taken him another X amount of months to reach that level, halting his progress. In conjunction, potentially doing wonders for Roddick.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who under-rates this? This vicrtory helped shape Djokovic's career and gave him the fearless confidence to go on that streak run in 2011.

Without this victory, I genuinely don't believe Novak would have felt invincible enough to have mounted that run in did in 2011, where he finally fell short to Federer at the french Open.

Every proper tennis follower that has an understanding of the ATP tour knows just how pinnacle this victory was in molding Djokovic's career. Suprised he lost the final to Rafa following mind you, would have thought he'd have had the momentum to surge on. Though we have to remember 2011 was when Djokovic hit his peak.
Sounds legit..:rolleyes:

NEW YORK, Sept 13 (Reuters) - Match statistics from Rafa Nadal's 6-4 5-7 6-4 6-2 victory
over Novak Djokovic in the men's singles final at the U.S. Open on Monday.

Nadal Djokovic

1st serve percentage 67 66
Aces 8 5
Double faults 2 4
Winning % on 1st serve 55 of 75 - 73% 61 of 95 - 64%
Winning % on 2nd serve 21 of 37 - 57% 22 of 48 - 46%
Winners (including service) 49 45
Unforced errors 31 47
Break point conversions 6 of 26 3 of 4
Net approaches 16 of 20 28 of 45
Total points won 136 119
Match duration three hours 43 minutes

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Sounds legit..:rolleyes:
Is that the discussion you hoped to draw from copying and pasting off opening paragraphs from Wikipedia and making this thread? Good effort son. BTW, there's no word such as tedious-less. Less is more fella.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
No, I don't. It could've easily given Roddick that extra edge to go on and achieve bigger things into 2004 as well, though, if he had won over Federer, given that Federer probably wouldn't have came out firing in Australia like he did. Up until Federers win at Wimbledon in 2003, he was somewhat unpredictable. All I'm saying is that it could've easily taken him another X amount of months to reach that level, halting his progress. In conjunction, potentially doing wonders for Roddick.
I concur with that. A lot of tennis is about momentum, especially for the big players amongst and between the majors and masters events. Federer may also have not felt quite as 'loose' at 'ease' and 'free-flowing' without the knowing he already has a major to his name. Roddick would have proven a mightier force, I agree.

Part of me felt very sorry for Roddick at the 2009 Wimbledon final, he never really recovered after losing that. I'm sure he will shudder when (If) the ITF ever make the grandslams a tie-breaker in the 5th and deciding set. (Because the ITF are actually considering it)

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
On the subject: I really personally feel Novak's win over Roger at this year's Wimbledon will be a career defining/changing/shaping moment. Not just the fact he did it after losing 3 slam finals in a row and against the great Roger Federer, but also that he did it after somewhat squandering the opportunity to serve the match out. Federer did give it to him in that final game at 5-4, however the level of effort it took mentally, boy. He must feel like he can over-come and achieve anything now, with nothing and no one enable to stop. Crazy.

I would say there is no sport more psychological than Tennis out there, bearing perhaps Golf and Snooker. Honestly.

·
Registered
736 Posts
2011 Miami Final, Djokovic over Nadal 7-6 in the 3rd.

After having beaten Nadal in the IW final 2 weeks earlier in a match where Nadal won the first set, Djokovic once again beat Nadal after losing the first set.

In the IW final, Nadal simply played a terrible 3rd set, and Djokovic just sort of waited Nadals bad play out, and won it. But in Miami, the level in the 3rd set was played at "redline" by both.

Not only was it big for Djokovic mentally to beat Nadal twice in a row, particularly after losing the first set to him both times, it was also a significant match to me because it was the first time in a match between the two, where late in the match, Nadal was the one who looked to be wearing out physically more than Nole.

For these reason, I think that this match, more than any other, was what propelled Novak to the year he ended up having in 11'.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that the discussion you hoped to draw from copying and pasting off opening paragraphs from Wikipedia and making this thread? Good effort son. BTW, there's no word such as tedious-less. Less is more fella.
:yeah: i must agree with you there, but i couldn't resist letting that :bs: observation, you allowed first, to slide like that..I will let everything from here on out....Hopefully you cooperate in this thread..End of it..

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
:yeah: i must agree with you there, but i couldn't resist letting that :bs: observation, you allowed first, to slide like that..I will let everything from here on out....Hopefully you cooperate in this thread..End of it..
How is it a BS observation? Everybody knows that victory gave Djokovic strength spur on and achieve more in the following season. To save two match-points and come from 2 sets down against whom was the undisputed greatest of all time legend Roger Federer, must have given him inner strength beyond any measure possible.

Many proper followers of the ATP tour recognise that and appreciate it for it's worth / significance.

Hopefully I what with this thread? lol End of what? You make no sense and sound to me as if you're acting as though you are a superior member of this board, which you clearly are not. :lol: I see straight through the front.

I came to discuss, you rolled your eyes and now you're backfooting. (Though not without trying to act the 'big I am' and 'giving it large :lol:)

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
How is it a BS observation? Everybody knows that victory gave Djokovic strength spur on and achieve more in the following season. To save two match-points and come from 2 sets down against whom was the undisputed greatest of all time legend Roger Federer, must have given him inner strength beyond any measure possible.

Many proper followers of the ATP tour recognise that and appreciate it for it's worth / significance.

Hopefully I what with this thread? lol End of what? You make no sense and sound to me as if you're acting as though you are a superior member of this board, which you clearly are not. :lol: I see straight through the front.

I came to discuss, you rolled your eyes and now you're backfooting. (Though not without trying to act the 'big I am' and 'giving it large :lol:)
I guess the BS observation is: " Suprised he lost the final to Rafa following mind you,"

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
I guess the BS observation is: " Suprised he lost the final to Rafa following mind you,"
Oh; didn't realise he was a tard of Nadals.

No suprise, didn't expect an impartial view from him along with 90% of this board. lol

Well, he doesn't understand momentum and feel good factors in tennis (Or sport) then.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Oh; didn't realise he was a tard of Nadals.

No suprise, didn't expect an impartial view from him along with 90% of this board. lol

Well, he doesn't understand momentum and feel good factors in tennis (Or sport) then.
Thing is mate, Nadal was on a 20 match winning streak at slams going into that match, and the undisputed number 1 player in the world at the time. He was also a match away from winning the slam most tennis analysts thought he'd have the toughest time winning. He also was a match away from the Career Golden Slam...if that's not momentum and motivation, I don't know what is.

Nadal was just a better player at that point, just as Djokovic was the better player exactly a year later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts