Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my country for example, Nadal is generally refered to as "goat".

You?

Reactions: Featherer

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,719 Posts
Australia's iconic ones:
Hewitt was called Rusty, Philippousis was named Scud.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Link: Player nicknames in Chinese
http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/253146-player-nicknames-chinese.html
Also an article
Test Your Knowledge of Chinese Nicknames for Tennis Players - The Changeover

Notable mention: Chinese tennis forums have their equivalence of 'Humbalito', 'ruya', quite possibly the most widely accepted nickname for any tennis player. You'll find out more detailed explanations in the threads above. Extremely sarcastic. There are always more Dull haters than Dull fans wherever you go, with Spain being the only exception I guess. :shrug:

I'm gonna supplement some more since the genuseless and nextgen are next to nowhere to be found on the lists above.
Alexander Zverev: Crape Myrtle, flower mostly planted in Southern China, also one of the main characters in the drama 'The Fair Princess', which has been broadcasted like a thousand times on TV. 'Zve' sounds like crape myrtle in Chinese.
Borna Coric: Coric the bottom, for obvious reason. Many netizens even petition him filming a GV when he's crashing out early in tournaments, as he seemed totally useless in tennis and better find some other way out.
David Goffin: Andy Lau, a pop star from HK peaked in the 90s, for their similar lookings.
Diego Schwartzman: the Pony obviously for his height.
Nick Kyrgios: the Coconut His surname sounds a bit like coconut in Chinese. He was also formerly known as Gauss, the great German mathematician.
Ryan Harrison: Teenager Ha pretty much outdated. But no more new nicknames for him since no improvement was found on him.
Lucas Pouille: Puyi simply the last emperor of China.
Filip Krajinovic: Curriculum Schedule a homonym (in Chinese of course) of his previous nickname K bitch by no means an offensive one, just the gays on Chinese tennis forums thought Filip was a bit cute and dull at times so they call him a bitch.
Alex de Minaur: the Kid, looks like a kid and his game still needs to develop no?
Thanasi Kokkinakis: the Corgi again because of similar pronunciations.

·
justice for all
13,375 Posts
I'd be more interesting to know what's the origin of some famous nicknames. Some really good examples from the Aussies so far.

But LOL at the OP tard ineptly trying to troll the forum with his Nadal bias.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
In my country we've:

Richard Krajicek: Kraai, also means crow in Dutch

Michaella Krajicek: Kleine kraai (little kraai), this is because she is the little half sister of Richard Krajicek. Sometimes she's also referred to as ''Misa''.

Tom Okker: The Flying Dutchman, he was called this more outside of the Netherlands. Of course a reference to the 17th century mythical Dutch ship. (de vliegende Hollander).

Paul Haarhuis and Jacco Eltingh: The Dutchies, this is also more international although I've heard it in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Link: Player nicknames in Chinese
http://www.menstennisforums.com/2-general-messages/253146-player-nicknames-chinese.html
Also an article
Test Your Knowledge of Chinese Nicknames for Tennis Players - The Changeover

Notable mention: Chinese tennis forums have their equivalence of 'Humbalito', 'ruya', quite possibly the most widely accepted nickname for any tennis player. You'll find out more detailed explanations in the threads above. Extremely sarcastic. There are always more Dull haters than Dull fans wherever you go, with Spain being the only exception I guess. :shrug:

I'm gonna supplement some more since the genuseless and nextgen are next to nowhere to be found on the lists above.
Alexander Zverev: Crape Myrtle, flower mostly planted in Southern China, also one of the main characters in the drama 'The Fair Princess', which has been broadcasted like a thousand times on TV. 'Zve' sounds like crape myrtle in Chinese.
Borna Coric: Coric the bottom, for obvious reason. Many netizens even petition him filming a GV when he's crashing out early in tournaments, as he seemed totally useless in tennis and better find some other way out.
David Goffin: Andy Lau, a pop star from HK peaked in the 90s, for their similar lookings.
Diego Swartzman: the Pony obviously for his height.
Nick Kyrgios: the Coconut His surname sounds a bit like coconut in Chinese. He was also formerly known as Gauss, the great German mathematician.
Ryan Harrison: Teenager Ha pretty much outdated. But no more new nicknames for him since no improvement was found on him.
Chinese nicknames are often entertaining/interesting. Very descriptive. One that caught my eye some years ago was Tim Duncan's (NBA) nickname, who was known for his calm and stoic demeanor on the court. He was called "Stone Buddha".

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
Interesting thread although with first post being biased/trolling/unpleasent indeed.

Okay, in my country Federer gets called ''Hiss Highness''

Nadal's is typical, the king of clay and Spanish Bull.

Murray is often The Flying Scotsman, I am not sure if we have for Djokovic.

In terms of Fedal discussion, in Turkey I would say it is %60-40 in favour of Federer. I don't mind it even though I am Nadal fan, especially because most of my Federer fan friends are very respectful towards Nadal, and vice versa.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Good stuff there...

Murray = Zombie (yeah, I can see that :) "The Zombie is none other than Andy Murray, known for his huge open mouth anguished screams and pasty white skin. Also known as Thunder (Rey Rey) for its similarity to “Murray”.")

Davydenko = Model Worker :)lol: Grinding it out)

Fed = The Cow (Hahah... "Wait a second.. I thought I was the GOAT..?" "Nah... you're the Cow mate..")

Youzhny = High Quality Mud ("I'm.. mud??" "Not just any mud Mr. Youzhny...")

Mattek-Sands = Golden Boobs

Roddick = Big Ass

Haven't heard the Eurosport commentators using those last two... what are they being paid for...

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Good stuff there...

Murray = Zombie (yeah, I can see that :) "The Zombie is none other than Andy Murray, known for his huge open mouth anguished screams and pasty white skin. Also known as Thunder (Rey Rey) for its similarity to “Murray”.")

Davydenko = Model Worker :)lol: Grinding it out)

Fed = The Cow (Hahah... "Wait a second.. I thought I was the GOAT..?" "Nah... you're the Cow mate..")

Youzhny = High Quality Mud ("I'm.. mud??" "Not just any mud Mr. Youzhny...")

Mattek-Sands = Golden Boobs

Roddick = Big Ass

Haven't heard the Eurosport commentators using those last two... what are they being paid for...
I would be stunned if the Eurosport commentators use any of these nicknames, which were strongly backgrounded in the Chinese language and culture.
BTW, Federer's most widely accepted nickname in China, the Cow, has nothing to do with GOAT. If I remember correctly, the Swiss Tennis Federation gifted him a cow after he won W03. Of course the cow has long gone.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,719 Posts

oh dear, that is too perfect :spit:
I know what they are going for, but Andy Lau is much better :laugh2:

TropicalSunset said:
Filip Krajinovic: Curriculum Schedule a homonym (in Chinese of course) of his previous nickname K bitch by no means an offensive one, just the gays on Chinese tennis forums thought Filip was a bit cute and dull at times and call him a bitch.
@ProudSerb so it's confirmed :rolls:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts