Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
cecilija said:
one have to be fair and say roger has got some lucky in that record
I mean he should ve lost to nadal in miami final
and he was very near to be defeted by ljubicic in rotterdam final.
megadeth said:
and that his 2 defeats were in the semis. had he faced safin or nadal in those 2 slam finals, i think it's fair to say that there was a good chance that his streak would be broken.
:rolleyes: Stop the nonsense. How come you guys called it "fair" to say that? You're saying that a close win is not a win? Then tell me what's your definition of a win. And he was lucky to lose in SF at AO and RG? Blam the tournaments. He is not the one who made the draw. Besides I bet he'd rather love the streak to be broken than lost that painful Safin match(He had already held an all-time record for consecutive final wins before AO). How unfair you are!

·
Registered
887 Posts
megadeth said:
and that his 2 defeats were in the semis. had he faced safin or nadal in those 2 slam finals, i think it's fair to say that there was a good chance that his streak would be broken.
and roger should have won both of those matches... we could say his opponents got lucky that he threw in clunkers.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
FYI, Fed's just one tournament away to tying jmac's year record of 82-3. i'm guessing he'll tie this in madrid and break it in basel

·
Registered
360 Posts
cecilija said:
I mean he should ve lost to nadal in miami final
and he was very near to be defeted by ljubicic in rotterdam final
But the thing is, he didn't. ;)

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
konyalikartal said:
Also Nadal has very good numbers despite his young age:

1) 24 matches unbeaten streak (if he had skipped grass court season it
could be 40!!!)
2) 8 matches unbeaten streak on finals which is close to previous record
set by Borg and JMac (still counting...)
3) 36 matches unbeaten streak on clay (still counting...)
4) 9 matches unbeaten streak on clay court finals. He hasn't lost a clay
court final yet (still counting...)
Who else at 19 has a W-L record of 11-2??

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The hardest to break would be the streak on grass. There isnt really any player who is good enough to challenge Fed on that surface, and there are so few tournaments to do it in.
Probably easiest would be the unbeaten match streak, especially on hard, as many players are good on it, like Nadal, Safin, even some lower ranked player can pull a surprise.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
The hardest to break would be the streak on grass. There isnt really any player who is good enough to challenge Fed on that surface, and there are so few tournaments to do it in.
Probably easiest would be the unbeaten match streak, especially on hard, as many players are good on it, like Nadal, Safin, even some lower ranked player can pull a surprise.
I think the opposite is true because for the reasons you just gave. There are lots of good players on hard so there are lots of players who can end streaks. That fact combined with the fact that hardcourts are the most democratic of surfaces means that it will be a very long time before we see someone win 40+ matches in a row on hardcourts again.

On grass, there are usually so few players who can play so if you are good or really, really, really ridiculously Jesus style good like Fed, then you can keep a long streak going.

·
Registered
449 Posts
the streak will be broken.... one day
but not today

·
Registered
62,758 Posts
Roger :bigclap:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have a feeling that his steak of winning finals will come to an end this year. The best possible person to do that is a healthy Safin or Nadal.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
konyalikartal said:
Mainly he has 4 streaks now:

1) 31 matches unbeaten streak
2) 24 matches unbeaten streak on finals
3) 40 matches unbeaten streak on hard courts
4) 36 matches unbeaten streak on grass courts

According to you which is harder to beat? Also name the players that you
believe will end these streaks. Here is my opinion:

1) Rafa
2) Rafa
3) Rafa
4) Alien:)
1 and 3 can be ended by (almost) any player and it is more likely to happen at the early stage of a tournament. 2 is difficult and the longer it lasts the more difficult it gets, as it requires a player who is not afraid of winning and who is not paralysed confronting Roger in a final. Nadal and Safin come to my mind, but also Ferrero (yes!), and players of the Berdych-type. The problem is that apart from Nadal, all of them don't reach finals too often;)

Finally 4: It requires all I have said for 2, plus an excellent and consistent serve. Who could that be? ;)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts