Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
He already withdrew from the Hopman Cup so its not a good start for 2008.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah .. but I mean do you think he can come back at some point?
I heard he is back with Thierry Champion, his previous coach.
I just think it would be a shame, considering the potential he has..

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Its all about the injuries with Monfils. He's already pulled out of the Hopman Cup starting tomoz and is in doubt for both Sydney and Melbourne. I think he also needs a really good, patient coach ala larry stefanki who can steer him in the right direction because his mental game is abysmal.

All that said he is one of the most talented players on tour. I remember his match against Baghdatis at this years Oz open where he put on a tremendous display that shook up the whole of Australia. So if he stays injury free and finds a good coach then I think anythings possible, if not then don't expect anything different from this year.

·
Registered
548 Posts
He always seems to be injured I don't know where he is most of the year?

Should't slide so much on HC if you ask meh.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
He definitely can as long as he remains injury free, he just needs to take more focus into his matches, as he has proved he can beat players in the top 10, but some of his losses last year were questionable.

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
He has such an awkward looking game. Like his arms are too long.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Its all about the injuries with Monfils. He's already pulled out of the Hopman Cup starting tomoz and is in doubt for both Sydney and Melbourne. I think he also needs a really good, patient coach ala larry stefanki who can steer him in the right direction because his mental game is abysmal.

All that said he is one of the most talented players on tour. I remember his match against Baghdatis at this years Oz open where he put on a tremendous display that shook up the whole of Australia. So if he stays injury free and finds a good coach then I think anythings possible, if not then don't expect anything different from this year.

It was more Baghdatis who played pretty poorly that day rather than an extraordinary performance from Monfils.

·
Registered
268 Posts
so much un-tapped talent... allez gael, vous pouvez le faire!

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
According to the Monfils camp is he still expected to contest the Australian Open?

How significant is his injury?
I know all the articles are saying he's in doubt for the AO, but I haven't seen any statement of him or his coach saying he might miss the AO.

I posted in his forum the last news I have. The way Champion talks about his injury, I'm not sure it is as serious as some people are saying (he says that since Gaël hadn't played for 3 months, he felt small pains when he resumed the training, so they decided to be careful and to skip the first tournament).

His wrist injury which made him miss the entire indoor season was pretty serious, he couldn't practice until mid-December, it was expected he would withdraw from the Hopman Cup.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I know all the articles are saying he's in doubt for the AO, but I haven't seen any statement of him or his coach saying he might miss the AO.

I posted in his forum the last news I have. The way Champion talks about his injury, I'm not sure it is as serious as some people are saying (he says that since Gaël hadn't played for 3 months, he felt small pains when he resumed the training, so they decided to be careful and to skip the first tournament).

His wrist injury which made him miss the entire indoor season was pretty serious, he couldn't practice until mid-December, it was expected he would withdraw from the Hopman Cup.
So perhaps he will skip the Sydney International and just play the Australian Open?

Either way, hopefully he plays the Australian Open at least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts