Mens Tennis Forums banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The whole development exposed the biggest problem of Hong Kong freedom. Having a freedom with no democracy makes it much easier to take the freedom away.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
Hell, what's wrong with this forum. I can't edit the title of the thread anymore? :facepalm :
There is a time limit for regular posters. Only moderators can change after that time.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
There is a time limit for regular posters. Only moderators can change after that time.
It seems the title couldn't be changed at all for those threads created before the upgrade.

In light of the ongoing situation, I would greatly appreciate it if the mods can help me change it to "what is happening in Hong Kong".

Very sadly the scene I described in the OP was only the first of many to come.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
The whole development exposed the biggest problem of Hong Kong freedom. Having a freedom with no democracy makes it much easier to take the freedom away.
Oh I could write an essay on it. Democracy is the biggest lie from China as we indeed were promised democracy which is written in the constitution.

It's been only about more than 20 years since we were handed back to China and the freedom of speech we enjoy has already been heavily encroached. Hong Kong has also become a police state due to the protests so there is even more limits on what we can do now. We are supposed to enjoy autonomy for 50 years since 1997 but looking at the rapidly worsening situation now I don't think 50 years is realistic at all.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
A Chinese court sentenced Gui Minhai, the co-owner of a bookshop in Hong Kong that sold gossipy works about China’s leaders, to ten years in prison for “illegally providing intelligence overseas”. Mr Gui is a Swedish citizen who is also claimed by China as its national. His detention has fuelled widespread alarm in Hong Kong about the erosion of political freedoms.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Wasn't he one of those guys that one day 'misteriously' disappeared from HK only to resurface later on in the hands of China police?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Wasn't he one of those guys that one day 'misteriously' disappear from HK only to resurface later on in the hands of China police?
Yeah he was kidnapped by the Chinese police while he was in Thailand back in 2015. Some swedish diplomats helped him escape in 2018 but he again got caught by the Chinese secret police on his way.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts