Mens Tennis Forums banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Surely no one is going to censor them back home...

NBA players have been unusually quiet on China since the nation started severing ties with the league. That may stem from the private advice they are getting from sports agents to tread lightly — or avoid discussing it entirely — if they are asked about the uproar over Hong Kong.

“What I told my guys is, ‘Don’t even talk about it,’” said one sports agent, who asked not to be identified because of the politically sensitive nature of the issue. “I think it’s a fine line, and when you’re walking that fine line, it’s best to not even play around with it.”

NBA players and officials have been walking that line since Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey tweeted support for anti-government protesters in Hong Kong on Friday, according to interviews with players, league officials and sports agents. The tweet, “Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong,” has since been deleted. But it’s touched off a political and economic firestorm between the NBA and its partners in China, the world’s second-largest economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/10/sports-agents-warn-players-to-avoid-china-talk-as-nba-walks-fine-line.html

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
NBA players have been unusually quiet on China since the nation started severing ties with the league. That may stem from the private advice they are getting from sports agents to tread lightly — or avoid discussing it entirely — if they are asked about the uproar over Hong Kong.

“What I told my guys is, ‘Don’t even talk about it,’” said one sports agent, who asked not to be identified because of the politically sensitive nature of the issue. “I think it’s a fine line, and when you’re walking that fine line, it’s best to not even play around with it.”

NBA players and officials have been walking that line since Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey tweeted support for anti-government protesters in Hong Kong on Friday, according to interviews with players, league officials and sports agents. The tweet, “Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong,” has since been deleted. But it’s touched off a political and economic firestorm between the NBA and its partners in China, the world’s second-largest economy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/10/sports-agents-warn-players-to-avoid-china-talk-as-nba-walks-fine-line.html
But it is quite simple. Imagine yourself on a business trip to Saudi Arabia for example. If you make a deal there, you are to receive let's say $100 000. Or just 10K or whatever. But you are advised not to comment on the status of women in the country. Avoid the subject and politics in general. Just STFU and collect your money. Or stir shit and lose money.

Your wife or sister won't live there anyway. And besides you are not exactly an expert in human rights. Just a businessman. Do you approve of the said politics? No. You are perfectly aware that you are free to speak all you want though back home. So what would you do? I know what I would do.

What are we really talking about then? There is political correctness in the US as we know. It means you can say things but better think twice about some sensitive things...even in the US. There can be consequences. But you won't go to jail just for saying things. It is a CHOICE. Your choice. And that is missing completely in some countries.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
plus, the guys are there to play basketball, not start a geo-political firestorm
I agree with this. I want to see Clooney act, Lebron James play basketball, etc. Their opinions don't interest me at all. Unfortunately, in real world sports have never been separated from politics and business.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
FFS it's just a bunch of semi-literate men who play basketball, what the fuck do they have to say about HK, they most probably can't locate it on the map.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
I agree with this. I want to see Clooney act, Lebron James play basketball, etc. Their opinions don't interest me at all. Unfortunately, in real world sports have never been separated from politics and business.
If a player has knowledge in the area, I'd like to hear him speak on it, absolutely. If an actor or a business person has informed views, by all means, speak.

But there is more damage in speaking when not informed than not speaking at all.

I don't know if I would do business at all with any nation that has such backwards human rights violations, but it seems those countries are where everyone sees a lucrative market.

So we get back to the age old question of the human race. What is more important? Money or morals? How much money? How little morals? It is a sliding scale, not black and white

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
If a player has knowledge in the area, I'd like to hear him speak on it, absolutely. If an actor or a business person has informed views, by all means, speak.

But there is more damage in speaking when not informed than not speaking at all.

I don't know if I would do business at all with any nation that has such backwards human rights violations, but it seems those countries are where everyone sees a lucrative market.

So we get back to the age old question of the human race. What is more important? Money or morals? How much money? How little morals? It is a sliding scale, not black and white
I agree with this sentiment but even the simplest tweet like 'I am standing with HK' (or whatever) getting deleted out of fear by Americans who have ties to China. Do you need to read a lot of books to know that they are being oppressed, IMO, not.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
But it is quite simple. Imagine yourself on a business trip to Saudi Arabia for example.
LOL, it is really simple.

Your interpretation of this situation- NBA players were advised to STFU while they are in China.

My interpretation- NBA players were advised to STFU regardless of their geographic location.

There is political correctness in the US as we know. It means you can say things but better think twice about some sensitive things...even in the US.
IMO, excessive political correctness is a form of oppression.

·
Your visions will happen
46,916 Posts
I agree with this sentiment but even the simplest tweet like 'I am standing with HK' (or whatever) getting deleted out of fear by Americans who have ties to China. Do you need to read a lot of books to know that they are being oppressed, IMO, not.
Well the problem is that the NBA and the actual fans of China, the people, not the government, have had a great love affair for 20-30 years. Despite of course the oppression of the Chinese government in this time. The genie is out of the bottle on that one

So what do we do now? Allow China to decide what we can say due to fear of losing market share? This is where we are at right now. I might refuse to play in China like Roddick refused to play in Dubai in 2008, but tennis is an individual sport. You do what you want. Basketball is a team game, even if the players disagree with China's human rights stands, if the league and the owners say you must play, you must play. Or else sit out and cost yourself millions.

So it is a delicate line to balance. If you love the Chinese people and fans and they love you back and you want to spread basketball globally, but the government in the biggest market is completely at odds with your own beliefs, what do you do? They've chosen to go there and play and bring joy to the fans, despite many calls in the US to bring them home immediately. But they were already in China for these games when the tweet heard round the world dropped.

Just have to separate the people of the country from the government of the country and know who you are playing for and not playing for. I want these guys to stay tight-lipped, play the games, then come back safe and sound, and let the Commissioner do his best to handle this diplomatically. The best solution is to find a way to make money in the Chinese market while at the same time not abandoning the ideals of our own country in a blind sprint towards the cash.

As I said before, the eternal high-wire act.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
LOL, it is really simple.

Your interpretation of this situation- NBA players were advised to STFU while they are in China.

My interpretation- NBA players were advised to STFU regardless of their geographic location.

IMO, excessive political correctness is a form of oppression.
Thanks for clarification, I get it and you are right in pointing it out.

I think the key word, which I put in bold is 'advised'. There was clearly a pragmatic, financial reason behind that, apart from the fact that sports, in principle, should be free of politics (which can never fully happen). I think athletes discussing politics, especially foreign politics is ill-advised anyway. But there will be no ban in NBA or the US on supporting HK protests, this is my point. On the contrary, I think this will make more people speak more, and they seem to be doing that right now. There are lots of people without much to say though, or people who just don't give a shit, which is also understandable. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Thanks for clarification, I get it and you are right in pointing it out.

I think the key word, which I put in bold is 'advised'. There was clearly a pragmatic, financial reason behind that, apart from the fact that sports, in principle, should be free of politics (which can never fully happen). I think athletes discussing politics, especially foreign politics is ill-advised anyway. But there will be no ban in NBA or the US on supporting HK protests, this is my point. On the contrary, I think this will make more people speak more, and they seem to be doing that right now. There are lots of people without much to say though, or people who just don't give a shit, which is also understandable. :shrug:
:lol: Glad it only took a couple of hours and a dozen of posts to figure out that we have nothing to argue about.

·
Registered
97,179 Posts
I don't think you need much education to know a country who bans the NBA broadcast because of a tweet is not democratic. What further proofs do you possibly need?

It's funny how people tweet about all sort of shit: flat Earth, vaccines, 9/11 as hoax and nobody does anything and you don't need education to be an authority. Even our beloved Greta the schoolgirl says whatever she wants about the climate and it's fine. Totally everything is allowed. But saying "I support Hong Kong" (completely regardless of who is right in the conflict, it's just an opinion) is not allowed.

Hilarious scenes.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,519 Posts
I don't think you need much education to know a country who bans the NBA broadcast because of a tweet is not democratic. What further proofs do you possibly need?

It's funny how people tweet about all sort of shit: flat Earth, vaccines, 9/11 as hoax and nobody does anything and you don't need education to be an authority. Even our beloved Greta the schoolgirl says whatever she wants about the climate and it's fine. Totally everything is allowed. But saying "I support Hong Kong" (completely regardless of who is right in the conflict, it's just an opinion) is not allowed.

Hilarious scenes.
Yep Blizzard did the same banning a Chinese Heartstone player and suspending two commentators for allowing the player to give a pro-HK statement after winning the gaming tournament.

https://www.quora.com/Why-has-Blizzard-banned-a-Chinese-Hearthstone-player

·
Registered
26,061 Posts
Morey certainly wasn't educated on the impact his tweet would have and admitted his mistake. Kind of disrespectful from him to put LeBron and others into a tricky situation just before their China trip, they didn't deserve this.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Morey certainly wasn't educated on the impact his tweet would have and admitted his mistake. Kind of disrespectful from him to put LeBron and others into a tricky situation just before their China trip, they didn't deserve this.
He had to. Financial sanctions were on the way. Of couse he deleted and said ''I didn't know a thing'' afterwards, something else would be surprising.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Massacre is about to happen at one of the universities of Hong Kong.
What is happening is there are a group of protesters/students staying on campus confronting a group of riot police who are trying to get in to arrest them. The confrontation has lasted for a day with both sides attacking each other. The protesters are on the losing side with the police blocking all exits and are gradually pushing forward. The police announced that an exit would be available but about two ago all people including medics and journalists who left via that route were immediately arrested.
It's past midnight here and the police asked all journalists to evacuate since they are about to increase their force on the campus.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts