Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/09/05/usopen.midterm/

Given what's being televised when you turn away from the matches, the intrigue of the tennis world has never seemed more trivial.

It's a shame, because tennis seldom has looked better -- exceptional matches, exceptional crowds, exceptional weather. Old faces hanging in there; new faces crashing the party. American men finding the mojo. Internationals getting a warm reception in New York.

Herewith my midterm grades (through Sunday's matches), handed out on a bell curve.

A
Top seeds: Awfully strong first week for Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova.

The Roddick-aires: Taylor Dent, Robby Ginepri and especially James Blake all acquitted themselves well.

Mother Russia: Sharapova, Nadia Petrova, Elena Likhovtseva and Elena Dementieva still remain at the party.

Tennis philanthropy: Both the USTA and both tours deserve credit for a quick response to Hurricane Katrina. And kudos to Andre Agassi, Blake, Kim Clijsters, Sharapova, Lleyton Hewitt et al for taping those Red Cross PSAs.

B+
Andy Murray: Bonus points for giving new zest to the phrase "boot and rally." Teenage Brit showed guts (and assorted other innards) in a first-round saga over Andrei Pavel. Had be been granted a wild card, might he have more fuel in the tank against Arnaud Clement?

Sania Mirza: As much for her irrepressible personality as for her tennis. The Indian teen reached the fourth round before failing to Sharapova, winning countless fans in the process.

Rafael Nadal: He never hit the groove in New York and fell in four sets to Blake. But how's this for a money quote? "I know James has had some difficult moments, and so I'm happy for him. I like to see people do well who have suffered and been through hard things."

Fabrice Santoro: Lost in straight sets to Federer, but what a joy it is to watch him play.

B
Gilles Muller: Dr. Gilles and Mr. Hyde. The Pride of Luxembourg played stunningly well against Roddick -- and then stunningly poorly against Ginepri in round two.

Concession prices: Maybe it's because we've been hardened by the cost of gas. But for some reason, the food pricing doesn't seem quite so exorbitant this year.

C
Andy Roddick: Who remembers Reebok's "Dan & Dave" campaign?

Tim Henman: A semifinalist in 2004, Henman went out with a whimper in the first round. Unless his back heals, Henmania might be a thing of the past.

Svetlana Kuznetsova: Defending women's champ put the capper on a poor summer by mustering only five games against the world's 97th-ranked player.

Mark Philippoussis: former finalist couldn't muster a set in a listless effort against Karol Kucera. At least the U.S. will get an Australian Open wild card in exchange for his services.

D
ATP Board: Rejecting the recommendation of the player council and instituting doubles "enhancements" have turned into a black eye.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
he should have added Singuinetti in his B list (after yesterdays match), for giving it his all, with his 33 y battling through to the 4th round.
I'm OK with the other picks. :)

·
#freeviktor
93,849 Posts
No mention of Djokovic at all? :shrug: What does that boy need to do to get Wertheim's attention?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
savestheday91 said:
No mention of Djokovic at all? :shrug: What does that boy need to do to get Wertheim's attention?
SF at least ;)

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
That's a great quote from Rafael. :yeah:

Andy deserved less than a C for his effort. (Plus he should sue American Express for breach of contract or infliction of emotional distress or something for that mojo commercial) I think his performance plus the AE commercials put him at an "F."

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
star said:
That's a great quote from Rafael. :yeah:

Andy deserved less than a C for his effort. (Plus he should sue American Express for breach of contract or infliction of emotional distress or something for that mojo commercial) I think his performance plus the AE commercials put him at an "F."
Well if Tim Henman can get a C, after his awful performance, then Andy surely deserves one. :lol: :silly:

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Star he doesn't need to sue. They have paid him more than enough. If anything the company should sue him. :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
One interesting thing that I saw in Wertheim's alway great posts is that Philippousis got a WC for U.S. Open in exchange for an American getting one for Aussie Open. This means that the deal between French Open and Aussie Open must have ended since Aussie players apart from Hewitt alway play poorly there.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Why does Russia get an A with 4 Russians left after Sunday, yet they started out with somewhere near 20-30 for direct entry into the main draw?

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
savestheday91 said:
Word, poor Djoko. Maybe once he starts ripping apart the rest of the field they will start bowing down to him

1 - 12 of 12 Posts