Mens Tennis Forums banner

Were the courts slowed down intentionally to aid Fed/Rafa/Novak??

• Yes

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 8 11.8%
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a spinoff of the "Speed Up the Courts" thread.

I think it is undeniable that the collective speed of the courts has slowed down somewhat (perhaps most noticeably in Australia and at Wimbledon).

There could be thousands of reasons for this. However, a lot of people claim that this was done intentionally and in order to aid Federer and Nadal (some people throw in Djokovic now that he is winning).

I just wanted to see if this was the overall opinion here on MTF.

Thanks

3,728 Posts
as far as i'm aware,

the clay courters started to boycott wimbledon and thats how the surface homogenization started

muster, and brug sucked on real grass-

but in reality the tour has hated serve and volley for a long time- and its been under attack since the late 90s

·
Registered
78 Posts
Even if that remotely possible theory of yours were true, who the heck gives a shit? honestly, court surface...what a boring discussion. If anything, Fed would prefer a faster surface, since he is clobbering the ball these days/

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
ATP should've helped Stepanek, Llodra and Santoro. Such unlimited amounts of talent lurking there... if only those damn courts were faster...

·
29,637 Posts
They were all made similar so the top players would always be at the business end of the tournament, therefore glamourising the product and making more £££££££.

Cash cow I tell thee.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if that remotely possible theory of yours were true, who the heck gives a shit? honestly, court surface...what a boring discussion. If anything, Fed would prefer a faster surface, since he is clobbering the ball these days/
Please do not call it my theory.

I definitely do not believe in it.

(You can see I am the only 'No' vote as of yet).

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Yep, I guess Federer the grinder also would like if YEC and Basel should be played like Miami and Indian Wells.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
ATP should've helped Stepanek, Llodra and Santoro. Such unlimited amounts of talent lurking there... if only those damn courts were faster...
:worship:

Why would slow courts help Fed?

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
dunno if Fed should be in the topic. It was further slowed down to help others vs him. I still remember how fast Wimbeldon was in 2003-2006 compared to say 2008-2012.

Federer was too dominant and won too much. They made many grass and hc torunaments slower to save tennis from him.

In the time of Sampras he was never truly dominant. Others still won much and the matches were often close. Federer just steamrolled everything and had like 10-0 H2Hs vs much of the other top10s. It didn't work. They had to turn tennis away from skill and into more physicality, endurance. They had too do something or Federer would kill all the interest in the sport. Simply no excitement if he won everything and turned in super seasons every season. That's the reason of for example the wimby slowdown shown in the infamous youtub comparing speed/bounce in 2005 compared to 2008. And then Nadal suddenly started winning on grass/hc despite playing his normal baseline moonball grind with a bad serve for being a top5 player

Federer had to be stopped and i sort of agree with that. The sad part is that it gave birth to the claystyle grinding working on everything and everywhere as having a weaker serve than the opponent (like Nadal) was suddenly not that big of an issue on grass/hc. Also it filled the entire top100 with spanish players as the spanish players found their game working over the entire season and not mostly on clay.

Djokovic becoming good has nothing to do with surfaces. He just became good because he suddenly got physicality and endurance even superior to Nadal's. If it's the gluten-free diet, the egg or whatever doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Yep, I guess Federer the grinder also would like if YEC and Basel should be played like Miami and Indian Wells.
yay another nickname... Grinderer :cool:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
:worship:

Why would slow courts help Fed?
SO he could return Roddick's serve. It was any anti-roddick conspiracy from the git go. Now it's only holding back Raonic, future Goat.

:p

·
Premium Member
21,332 Posts
It's silly to throw Djokovic in there, since his run started only 13 and 1/2 months ago, he wasn't even a pro when all that started. I don't think that you can do something like that just for one or two players, makes no sense, there's no guarantee "your players" will actually put that to use. Of course, some players are more likely to adjust than some others. :)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
The theory Federer allegedly benefited from homogenization of the courts is too good even for MTF standards.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am glad everyone who posted seems somewhat sensical. I hate conspiracy theories and think it is ridiculous to think that the higher-ups in the ATP got together in a backroom in order to stop Federer or help Nadal or any combination of that nonsense.

NOW, I can believe... they got together in order to make matches longer. Or make matches more exciting. Marketing reasons seem to make a lot more sense to me than thinking that a tournament director wheres a Nadal shirt to sleep every night and plots against Federer...

That being said ... why is the vote still even!?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
It's silly to throw Djokovic in there, since his run started only 13 and 1/2 months ago, he wasn't even a pro when all that started. I don't think that you can do something like that just for one or two players, makes no sense, there's no guarantee "your players" will actually put that to use. Of course, some players are more likely to adjust than some others. :)
Novak should be included because he is very charismatic & a good skier.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Why would a slow court aid Federer?

As for Nadal? Maybe, but probably not.
Djokovic? He was perfectly capable of winning the U.S. Open in 2007 so a slower court wouldn't have been a deciding factor.

·
Hakeem
5,234 Posts
Why would a slow court aid Federer?

As for Nadal? Maybe, but probably not.
Djokovic? He was perfectly capable of winning the U.S. Open in 2007 so a slower court wouldn't have been a deciding factor.
What do you mean probably not? It is obviously clear that Rafael struggles on the fastest tournaments in the world when comparing to the majority of the events which are played on slower surfaces. Take Cincinnati for example, a tournament where he has never even reached the final. For quite some time Cincinnati has been known for being one of the fastest surfaces on the tour today, especially for an outdoor event. Then we all know his lack of success in indoor tournaments. Sure, Nadal isn't the worst player on the faster surfaces as he certainly has made some important adjustments since his early clay courting days, but certainly he has benefited from the homogenization of play styles and surfaces more than past clay courters. Imagine if Wimbledon played like the grass we saw in the match between Australia and Switzerland where you literally have only a split second to make an adjustment and constantly have to slice the ball. Do you think Nadal would have made that same development on grass in just one year after he won his first Roland Garros title? I sincerely doubt it.

Either way, IMO Nadal benefited the most, Djokovic second and Federer the least. Djokovic has always been capable on the faster surfaces and we all know Federer grew up at the tail end of the variety of surfaces and was even serve and volleying a good portion of the time, so I don't think there is much doubt there.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
I kinda messed up my wording there. Nadal has definitely benefited, but my "probably not" was in reference to the courts being slowed down specifically for him.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts