Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot of talk about sexism these days.

US Open did it and French Open does it as well. They write the weight of the male players and they do not write the weight of the female players. Is this not a stereotypic old fashioned view of women or is this sexisme towards the male players that their weight is public to everyone where the women's are not?

If we want to be treated equally, shouldn't the weight be mentioned both places?

I wonder if a player like Jack Sock would agree with me.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Pampering females which are strong and independant, but do not want their weight to be known.

Lol

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Yeah, have no idea why would I want to know weight of a player. I can understand height because it's fixed, but weight ...

Reactions: steni and Burrow

·
Registered
769 Posts
Nobody believes what they are putting in their WTA profiles anyway. I mean, for years -- YEARS -- in her WTA profile Serena's weight was 59kg (I remember it well because that was also the official weight of my WTA fave Anastasia Myskina).
Myskina herself, when commentating the US Open on Russian Eurosport, admitted that WTA players constantly misstate their weight. She even told an anecdote about playing doubles with Dementieva: they were warming up and stadium annoucer was introducing them, including their bio, height, weight... When the announcer mentioned Dementieva's weight, Myskina stopped the warmup, looked at Dementieva and said, 'Oh REALLY, Lena?"

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,536 Posts
Lot of talk about sexism these days.

US Open did it and French Open does it as well. They write the weight of the male players and they do not write the weight of the female players. Is this not a stereotypic old fashioned view of women or is this sexisme towards the male players that their weight is public to everyone where the women's are not?

If we want to be treated equally, shouldn't the weight be mentioned both places?

I wonder if a player like Jack Sock would agree with me.
I don't see it the same way. Actually what Time Violation says probably applies, the data they have is rather old and probably not very accurate, as opposed to the height which stabilises toward a fixed value.

Commentators though will sometimes talk about a women's figure during a match.

·
Your visions will happen
48,529 Posts
We should know accurate height and weight like tale of the tape in boxing

·
Your visions will happen
48,529 Posts
They should be weighted before the match starts.
Maybe but that is inaccurate because it includes shoes and any ankle taping etc plus whatever you ate that day. Nice to get a number sure, just subtract 3-5 pounds from it. Upon waking after morning elimination is the best time

·
11,031 Posts
Who cares. This is such an inconsequential stat, male or female.

Reactions: bilentsob

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Put them in weight classes like fighting sports.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts

·
Registered
6,708 Posts

·
11,031 Posts
Jack "give my Chipotle" Sock surely agrees with you. 🥪
The up-and-coming American had to win three qualifying matches to make the main draw of the French. He won his first-round match in straight sets and will face No. 12 seed Tommy Haas in Thursday’s second round.

I highly doubt 35 year old Haas was downing burritos before playing Sock :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,536 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts