121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Re: Week 47: Toyota, Japan [Entry List]

QFs (unofficial results)

[1] Go SOEDA (JPN) vs Takao SUZUKI (JPN) 6-1 3-2 ret’d
[3] Tatsuma ITO (JPN) vs [5] Bernard TOMIC (AUS) 7-6(4) 7-6(7)
[4] Yuichi SUGITA (JPN) vs Alexander SADECKY (SUI) 6-4 7-6(8)
Hiroki KONDO (JPN) vs Juho PAUKKU (FIN) 6-3 6-2

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

T. Ito - Tomic 7:6 (4), 7:6 (7)

Sugita - Sadecky 6:4, 7:6 (8)

Tennis results - www.polskitenis.eu
Amazing that Tomic is still unable to make the jump. Even he struggles with players that he should be already beating. Just check the names that he beated this year and you can see that he can be a top 100 material but he is so unstable. Not sure what is going on with his backround, working team and especially him. But he will make the jump if he + working team + etc realize that he should go step by step and organize his schedule similar to Berankis or Dimitrov`s one.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

1/2's :

[3] Tatsuma ITO (JPN) vs [1] Go SOEDA (JPN) 7-6(11) 6-2
[4] Yuichi SUGITA (JPN) vs Hiroki KONDO (JPN) 6-7(4) 6-2 6-3
Shame that Soeda was unable to win here. Great week till now for Tatsuma. I hope he can win the title.

·
Registered
97,137 Posts

Amazing that Tomic is still unable to make the jump. Even he struggles with players that he should be already beating. Just check the names that he beated this year and you can see that he can be a top 100 material but he is so unstable. Not sure what is going on with his backround, working team and especially him. But he will make the jump if he + working team + etc realize that he should go step by step and organize his schedule similar to Berankis or Dimitrov`s one.
Ito is such a pusher. Bernard must have lacked consistency.
Still too early to claim if he'll make a breakthrough or not.

For example as soon as I started being pessimistic about our Janowicz he won St. Remy challenger and generally gained career high in the ranking and started winning matches.

The change of the surrounding seemed to work fine for Dimitrov btw. I wonder if Tomic's dad would allow the same.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Congrats for Tatsuma and his 2nd Challenger title of the year :yeah:. This victory is helping him to jump to the top 160 in the rankings next Monday which is going to allow him to play a full Challenger schedule in 2011. Well done.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Ito is such a pusher. Bernard must have lacked consistency.
Still too early to claim if he'll make a breakthrough or not.

For example as soon as I started being pessimistic about our Janowicz he won St. Remy challenger and generally gained career high in the ranking and started winning matches.

The change of the surrounding seemed to work fine for Dimitrov btw. I wonder if Tomic's dad would allow the same.
I agree with you about Tomic. I do still believe that he can make the jump but will see if he can overcome the pressure that seems to be holding on his arms. He has the potential to beat top 100 players (he already proved it) but needs more consistency along the year. Dimitrov managed to do it. At the same time he holds all the pressure of a whole country that desesperately needs a good player on the tour and of his father and his working team. He is very young to hold all that pressure but if he manage to calm down and control that situation he will be able to do something similar to Dimitrov this year.

The same concerns to Janowicz. He is 20 years old and see that there aren`t players under his age on the top 100. The challenger tour is really competitive on these days with very good players around. He is in the top 160 so in 2011 he will be able to play a full challenger calendar. Give him a couple of years to see if he can be a potential top 50 player.

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
Janowicz had essential financial problems - no rich sponsor like Berankis, Dimitrov and Tomic.

When he needed the biggest coach help and consistent starts, he couldn't get it. This is why he is starting from a handicapped position. His coach is a former futures player. That's all what he can afford. No Lundgren, no other big name. I feel sorry for him, his parents had to sell their shops with sports clothes to sponsor his career a bit. When he went to play USO quallies event people from the stands were buying him shoes because he couldn't afford a new pair he needed. But we already know there isn't any justice in this world ;) If he could make top 30 one day it would be a beautiful story. Much more beautiful than Berankis and Dimitrov who are aiming at top 10 and probably will get there.

·
Registered
26,042 Posts
Janowicz had essential financial problems - no rich sponsor like Berankis, Dimitrov and Tomic.

When he needed the biggest coach help and consistent starts, he couldn't get it. This is why he is starting from a handicapped position. His coach is a former futures player. That's all what he can afford. No Lundgren, no other big name. I feel sorry for him, his parents had to sell their shops with sports clothes to sponsor his career a bit. When he went to play USO quallies event people from the stands were buying him shoes because he couldn't afford a new pair he needed. But we already know there isn't any justice in this world ;) If he could make top 30 one day it would be a beautiful story. Much more beautiful than Berankis and Dimitrov who are aiming at top 10 and probably will get there.
Still got more big US wildcards then he deserves. And Tiilikainen is better than Lundgren.

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
Got 2. This went through an agency. If they organized him good practise conditions and sponsored travels he would benefit more than from a random WC from which he must also give back a large % of a prize money income.

So far Lundgren has better results as a coach so it's rather easy to tell who is the better one.

Anyway I am not a fan of ANY young player getting WCs to ATPs, maybe only if there's 1 event in his country, so he attracts the crowd. But it can easily slaughter a player like Young got slaughtered, and nearly Dimitrov until he was saved on time.

·
Registered
26,042 Posts
Federer and Safin were great players. Lundgren didn't help Dimitrov at all for example. Tiilikainen beat Poland in DC as underdog.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts