Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Re: Week 45 : Knoxville (Entry List)

Brian was talented. His strengths were his returning, and from what I remember, he always kept great length on his shots and changed direction really well with the ball. I don't think he was as good as people made him out to be, but he would have had an ATP career. Obviously he still has game left and he's playing sort of a home event so not surprising he's having a good run here.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

Brian was talented. His strengths were his returning, and from what I remember, he always kept great length on his shots and changed direction really well with the ball. I don't think he was as good as people made him out to be, but he would have had an ATP career. Obviously he still has game left and he's playing sort of a home event so not surprising he's having a good run here.
He isn't even 'that' old so he may still get to the ATP level eventually like Bogomolov.

Having said that, he missed about 3 years of pro tennis, so I dunno....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

epic choke by Yani, 5-2* 40-0* in the 3rd and then 4 adv's at 6-5* only to finally lose 64 67 76 to Baker. 7 mps wasted by Yani :facepalm:
Baker closed the match on his 4th mp (from 6-1 to 6-4 in the final set tiebreak)

·
Registered
19,480 Posts

B.Baker d Van der Merwe 62 63
Ignatik d Millot 62 76
Heliovaara d Duclos 76 76
Levine d De Voest 60 62
Basic d Delic 36 63 62
J.Baker d Yani 64 67 76

·
Registered
80 Posts

epic choke by Yani, 5-2* 40-0* in the 3rd and then 4 adv's at 6-5* only to finally lose 64 67 76 to Baker. 7 mps wasted by Yani :facepalm:
Baker closed the match on his 4th mp (from 6-1 to 6-4 in the final set tiebreak)
lol this players are for nothing i cant beleive how many stupid people we have :eek::eek:

·
Registered
19,156 Posts

Vasek from 5-2 to 5-7 1-3 against Levine :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

Filo I REALLY disagree with you here. Have you ever seen him in person or talked to coaches who have been around him? His billing as one of the most naturally talented players to ever take to a tennis court is legit. Not only that, but he is a pure genius in terms of on court poise and tactics. Ask Djokovic what it was like to play real and practice matches with Baker, as Djokovic has mentioned that Baker got the better of him every time. Baker would easily have been a top five player if he had only had half the injuries that he has endured.

And drilling people in tournaments after not playing for three years isn't just good, it is incredible. You just don't go three years without playing and then beat everyone 2 and 2 and the like (which he has done numerous times after multiple layoffs). How does this particular tournament being four hours away from his hometown take away from him beating a huge server like Van Der Merwe 2 and 2?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Baker d. Ignatik 4-6 6-3 7-6(6) :yeah:

Got broken at *5-4 in the 3rd, then lost a *6-4 advantage in the tiebreak but got the job done in the end. Congrats Brian.

·
Banned
262 Posts

forget filo,he is "expert",what he says is always right. baker def ignatik 4/6 6/3 7/6(6). Baker broke ignatik serve for 5-4 in 3rd and then lost his serve easy. after choking a bit in the tie break he finally won it. good guy baker.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

Baker vs. Baker semifinal... Sounds like some bagels and breadsticks eh? :p
:lol:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Filo I REALLY disagree with you here. Have you ever seen him in person or talked to coaches who have been around him? His billing as one of the most naturally talented players to ever take to a tennis court is legit. Not only that, but he is a pure genius in terms of on court poise and tactics. Ask Djokovic what it was like to play real and practice matches with Baker, as Djokovic has mentioned that Baker got the better of him every time. Baker would easily have been a top five player if he had only had half the injuries that he has endured.

And drilling people in tournaments after not playing for three years isn't just good, it is incredible. You just don't go three years without playing and then beat everyone 2 and 2 and the like (which he has done numerous times after multiple layoffs). How does this particular tournament being four hours away from his hometown take away from him beating a huge server like Van Der Merwe 2 and 2?
Yes, I've heard everything about him and his ability, I saw him live one time. But I'll take your word for it, definitely, because it's backed up by a lot of people.

As for the hometown factor, it's going to motivate him to play at his absolute best, more so than other events. Not saying he isn't motivated everywhere but you want to give the best account of yourself in front of friends and family. His results this week have been great, especially since he's been off and on the tour so much. Hopefully he wins the title.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts