Mens Tennis Forums banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I must compliment the tournament organisers for the quality live scoring and live video with good quality sound (bilingual) and full coverage of the presentations.
For a $50k challenger this was quite something.

If they can do it, why.etc......................?

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
yeah... there was especially one busy person responsible for it - Mister Kai Meesters :worship:

1set singles final
Korolev leads Sluiter 6/3 after coming up from 0/2 (I guess he was as stressed as yesterday but this guy has got p o w e r)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yee,aachen is pretty good tournament I must say that all atp tournament or challenger tournaments in germany i have been to had very high standard,and not only for players but most importantly also for visitors

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
what a lovely day! first titles for both Del Potro and Korolev !!!!!!! and of course I have what to write about! :tape: heh and Kai didn"t believe me Korolev would win ;) who is the betting queen? :angel:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes, it's kind of symbol that Korolev and Del Potro won their first titles in same day.
I think in few years they'll play with each other for serious titles.

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
Russian elephant said:
Yes, it's kind of symbol that Korolev and Del Potro won their first titles in same day.
I think in few years they'll play with each other for serious titles.
i wonder if i find this kind of courage to write about our starlets in general messages between thousands of ppl in 2-3 years when they"ll be in Bercy final, or will stay in challengers threads, just to support another things... like Joaquin Cohen from Argentina... and some promising Russians ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have serious confidence in Korolev's future (I only hope he will be lucky in view of injuries). Only thing - don't listen for advices of Anna :) :)
About JMDP - looks like he also has very good chances to become top player, but for Argentinian it will be harder because he is claycourt master in general - and it is usual problem of their tennis style.
Anyway I think it's first case in history when 2 challengers on one week are won by 17 y.o. players :)
Good luck to both, but GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS for KOROLEV :)

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
I even changed my siganture for this wonderful week to stay in the memory, at least for some time ;).
As about Anna's style... Evgeni looks like a calm, downed-to-Earth person. I hope the big world and bright lights will not change him, because it happens to some Russians. It also happens to the Argentinians, so both boys must be careful and take what they ever earn with humble attitude.
As for now... good luck in Eckental :yeah:

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
ok, it's for the people who enjoyed keeping up with me at this challenger... finally translated. for you mates :wavey:

Mixed company

International tennis tournaments in Germany take place almost every week, what is a good promotion as much for local players as for the city hosting the event. In the beginning of November this kind of tournament happened in situated near Dutch and Belgian frontier Aachen. So, how does a challenger 50.000$ look like?

In multi-kulti Aachen media were eager to talk about the event, so everybody knew about it (with the exception of Turkish taxi-drivers). Every day the hall at Brusselers Ring was visited by hundreds of people. The offcourt offer was attractive and included nights fulfilled with music, and especially... entry for Players' Party in the price of Monday's ticket! The beer was flowing every evening like at Oktober Fest. It was also possible to use free internet, of course if the computers weren't occupied by the ballkids, who anyway prefered to chase after second league football players, blocking against the wall Stefan Wauters, Belgian tennis player who was so careless to be going to his own match that time. As you can see, the atmosphere was easy, some even afforded theirselves bringing on the dogs on the leash. Decadent climates were ending with the line of the press office, where was working the most busy person on the tournament, press office's boss – Kai Meesters. World champion of making many things at once.

From the tennis side, tournament was interesting as well. In spite of last minute withdrawal of surprising Basel finalist, Marcos Baghdatis, many travellers through challenger-countryside decided to come. It was a mixed company. Some could mention straight from memory their favourite night clubs in the cities they visit, some were still feathering their nests. Like a 20-yeared Swede, Michael Ryderstedt, who took out with a heavy-heart from his wallet the last 12 Euro to pay for the hotel breakfast. “I will have to write a complaint. ATP should refund me this cost, because their staff miscalculated the hours of my stay here” - he cried. First round's loser Swede prefered to have these Euros on him.

In Germany people said “goodbye” to a big star of world's courts, 34-yeared Younes El Aynaoui (Morocco) with coloured skin and... the lifetime, and said “hello” to the talented newcomer: 17-yeared Evgueni Korolev from Russia. Because it was Korolev who took the spot (as a “lucky loser”), and his most exciting match and the most interesting match of the whole tournament was exactly his game against El Aynaoui. The guy, originally born in Moscow, from 10th year of life living in Weiden (Bavaria), speaking Russian, German and English fluently – simply smashes his opponents out of the court with his physical power. Out of all his shots the most memorable was the dropshot from the last set against El Aynaoui, which helped to break the Moroccan. We have to add, that last year in Aachen won 17-yeared then Serbian player, Novak Djoković, currently ranked 75 ATP. Will Korolev be next to reach so high position? “Djoković is already a good player, I realize there's a lot of work before me, which I do with my dad, who is my coach at the same time” - he explained. - “But I will be number one in ATP!”. That boy not only has talent, fantasy, language skills, but also... good family relations. He's a cousin of Anna Kournikova.

There were plenty of Polish accents in Aachen, especially if to look at medical advertisments or surnames of the linesmen. Carlos Sanches, the Portuguese supervisor, is also our good friend from Wrocław, Sopot and Szczecin – by the way, he cannot wait for the challenger in Wrocław. But the tennis player was only one. 18-yeared Dariusz Lipka, practising in Valencia, in the Tennis Academy run by Juan Carlos Ferrero, received a Wild Card to singles and doubles. It was Ferrero who asked for a card for Lipka, whose popularity in Spain and Germany must be as high as his popularity in Poland (I mean nobody heard of). Victorious over Lipka, our Younes El Aynaoui, has a different view on the Wild Cards which Lipka received: “It's the system called <<Check e-Bay, pay and play>>”. It's connected with the spreading custom of selling wild cards on internet auctions. If so, Lipka really deserved a card. A yellow one.

Wrocław, 8th November 2005
Nathaliia M.

341 - 353 of 353 Posts