Marcos DANIEL (BRA) vs [3] Rui MACHADO (POR) 6-1 6-4
[Q] Nicolas DEVILDER (FRA) vs Rogerio DUTRA DA SILVA (BRA) 2-6 7-5 6-1

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Re: Week 43: Sao Paulo-2, Brazil [Entry List]

DOUBLES QFs

[1] F.FERREIRO (BRA) & A.SA (BRA) vs [WC] C.LINDELL (SWE) & B.SEMENZATO (BRA) 6-2 6-4
T.ALVES (BRA) & J.SILVA (BRA) vs [4] R.DUTRA DA SILVA (BRA) & J.SOUZA (BRA) 6-7(7) 6-2 10-8
[3] R.MACHADO (POR) & D.MUNOZ-DE LA NAVA (ESP) vs D.HARTFIELD (ARG) & E.PRODON (FRA) 4-6 6-1 10-8
Y.SCHUKIN (KAZ) & A.VEIC (CRO) vs [WC] M.DANIEL (BRA) & T.FERNANDES (BRA) 7-6(5) 6-1

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

Two wild cards (granted, one of them's Bellucci), a qualifier, and an unseeded player in the semis. Interesting.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts

Lindell takes the first set over a top 30 player :eek:

Amazing week he's having. If he could win this match, it would be HUGE for him.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

Belluci-Lindell 4-6 6-3 6-3, good fight from Lindell! And thanks for the stream :D

·
Registered
33 Posts

Lindell lost:sad:

But he did a very strong game! That was Lindells last tournament this year. Now he go back to Sweden to train and play in the swedish league.

See you next year Christian! :D

·
Registered
13,392 Posts

Lindell lost:sad:

But he did a very strong game! That was Lindells last tournament this year. Now he go back to Sweden to train and play in the swedish league.

See you next year Christian! :D
What is the Swedish league? Just like the futures tournaments in Sweden?

I'm glad I got to see a bit of him playing this year, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on him next year, hopefully he and Tiago will get WC to play Costa do Sauipe!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

I'm glad I got to see a bit of him playing this year, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on him next year, hopefully he and Tiago will get WC to play Costa do Sauipe!

Yeah very fair to give a WC that would usually go to a Brazilian to a Brazilian player that was basically "bought" by the sweeds when he was already 16 years old.

Lindell is a sweedish as I am Italian, meaning a last name. An opportunist, but hey, business is business. What is not really cool for me is to get ahead of other Brazilians that were not bought off.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

And the funny thing is that now the Brazilian federation is trying to buy him back...lol

I say leave him as a Sweed, specially now that he already accepted their investment. To go back when they can bank in. Whats the sense of having your nationality auction off back. If he doesn`t feel any contradiction in it, fine.

·
Registered
13,392 Posts

Yeah very fair to give a WC that would usually go to a Brazilian to a Brazilian player that was basically "bought" by the sweeds when he was already 16 years old.

Lindell is a sweedish as I am Italian, meaning a last name. An opportunist, but hey, business is business. What is not really cool for me is to get ahead of other Brazilians that were not bought off.
I don't understand the issue. Was he formerely playing under a Brazilian flag? His father is Swedish and his mother is Brazilian, so maybe he feels equally close to both sides of his heritage? :shrug:

·
Registered
33 Posts

The Swedish league has not to do with ATP, It´s just when Swedish tennis-clubs playing against each other.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

I don't understand the issue. Was he formerely playing under a Brazilian flag? His father is Swedish and his mother is Brazilian, so maybe he feels equally close to both sides of his heritage? :shrug:
hm, no. He was born in Rio de Janeiro lived and started playing tennis in Brazil until he was 16 years old and as an accomplished Junior player, played in Sweeden and was basically "bought" by the sweeds.

Mind you that he doesn`t speak Sweedish. And lived he whole life in Brazil. How does that and having a Sweedish father, makes you equally close? are you serious.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

it is not an issue to me, I don`t really care. I am just saying he is an opportunist, that used this conection to gain sponsorship. And the Swwdish federation was as well, by "buying" a promossing player.

I think will problably go back to playing for Brazil, because is just so silly the guy is a Brazilian, he evens says so in the interviews here all the time he feels like a regular Brazilian. With a heavy Carioca(people from Rio) native accent....lol

which in turn wouldn`t right for the Sweeded that invested in him. So it is an odd situation.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

it is not an issue to me, I don`t really care. I am just saying he is an opportunist, that used this conection to gain sponsorship. And the Swwdish federation was as well, by "buying" a promossing player.

I think will problably go back to playing for Brazil, because is just so silly the guy is a Brazilian, he evens says so in the interviews here all the time he feels like a regular Brazilian. With a heavy Carioca(people from Rio) native accent....lol

which in turn wouldn`t right for the Sweeded that invested in him. So it is an odd situation.
The rest of your post(s) says otherwise. ;)

I don't see anything too strange about it... it's not like Lindell has absolutely ZERO connection to the Swedish. It's not too different from players like Mamiit and Huey who are part Filipino and have been raised in the US but now play for the Philippines. I guess you'd go where there is more support, financially and otherwise, in order to keep playing.

I don't know the precise reasons why Lindell is playing for Sweden (and if he ever played for Brazil), but either way, that decision seems to be paying off...

101 - 120 of 151 Posts