Mens Tennis Forums banner

461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
97,137 Posts
Thank you for the report... Pless doesn't have the perfect opinion between players and people related to tennis as well, so it had to be a fine match to watch. Waske is rather famous of being a kind guy, but sometimes acts like that.

Well, I wish I could have been there. Maybe next year. :D

·
Registered
26,042 Posts
Both are true assholes I believe.

Waske said earlier that the food was even worse and the people even more uninterested than in Kolding. Even though I dislike Waske, I believe him in that point. It is unbelievable that a tournament organization can't manage to have acceptable food for the spectators and not even for the athletes. Those tournaments should get wiped out of the calendar.

·
MONSOON season.
81,389 Posts
Re: Week 43: Nottingham (final: Kristian Pless vs Alexander Waske)

Just got back from today's final.

I arrived at the end of the 1st set, so not sure about the score there. But WASKE WON IN 2 SETS (6-3 in the 2nd).

Anyway, there was a bit of drama... basically, all through the match, Waske was taking about 30 seconds between points to serve. Waske would regularly be bouncing the ball, about to serve, and then stop, and walk to the back wall to compose himself again. After every point that Waske won on serve, he walked all the way to the net to collect the same ball that he had won the point with. And, Pless was moving around like usual ready to return serve, and for some unknown reason, Waske kept walking to the umpire to complain about this (no one can work out why). So basically, Pless was fucking pissed off throughout the match. He wasn't allowed to get into any sort of rhythm at all.

At the end of the match, Waske went to shake Pless's hand, and Pless completely ignored him and sat down in his chair. Waske went over to see why he didn't shake his hand, and Pless said, "FUCK OFF, FUCK OFF. You're a fucking joke. Why should I shake your hand. You're a fucking cheat. Fuck off".

Waske collected his prize money admist boos and jeers from the 10-15 spectators.

Drama!!

Anyway, apart from that, Waske's serve was awesome.
Wow!

Thanks for the great insight :lol:

Alex :cuckoo: That's not nice indeed.

But what startled me most is the number of spectators. Ten to fifteen at a final? My God, I am sure there were more people at the Scheveningen Challenger qualifying :unsure: How does this Challenger survive?

And what Waske did, well it is not laudable of course, but if he sticks to the time limit, he isn't necessarily doing anything wrong. But I understand why Pless is mad. Kristian has quite a temper of himself, so it gets to him and Waske played it smart.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts

Wow!

But what startled me most is the number of spectators. Ten to fifteen at a final? My God, I am sure there were more people at the Scheveningen Challenger qualifying :unsure: How does this Challenger survive?

And what Waske did, well it is not laudable of course, but if he sticks to the time limit, he isn't necessarily doing anything wrong. But I understand why Pless is mad. Kristian has quite a temper of himself, so it gets to him and Waske played it smart.
It's half-term week in the UK as well, so I am surprised there is that few people there, and it looks like there has been very few people there all week. I suppose the fact there were no Brits playing today may have been a factor, but still, more people turned up to watch Futures Qualifying at Exmouth earlier this year, and that started on New Years Day!

But then again, the people who run the tournament aren't really bothered, as they have the ATP event earlier in the year, and that is all that they focus on

I have no idea how many people will be at Shrewbury in a few weeks, as that town has an even lower tennis pedigree, but I doubt there will be many more than there was this week

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts

Wow!

They don't provide for spectators...it is literally like a leisure centre. You cna only watch from the gallery...and the glass is thick so you can't really hear anything.

Not sure why Waske is complaining about the food...there is a canteen which supplies sandwiches etc...I struggle to believe that other tournaments even at ATP level have anything better than that and a few snack vans.

This tournament was off the calendar for 2 years (last visited Oct 2003)...but it went to different locations in Britain the last 2 years. This year many more events have been held at this venue...not sure why. I guess it is because it is one of the best centres in the UK...and the ATP tourney in June is well-run. I have never seen Waske at that event...maybe he should go next year and then he will be best placed to complain about the lack of facilities and interest :shrug:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
...and I mentioned yesterday that spectators were slagging off either Mackin or Waske...They hated X player's cocky attitude and some of the things he apparently said about the tournament, the LTA and John Lloyd...but I won't repeat them here.

·
Registered
26,042 Posts
Shrewsbury is even on Waske's schedule. Will be interesting what he has to say about that tournament.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Shrewsbury is even on Waske's schedule. Will be interesting what he has to say about that tournament.
:haha: :haha: If I could spare the time and the money I'd even be tempted to take the train down there just to see his face as he walks through the doors of the venue for the first time :haha:

461 - 477 of 477 Posts