141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Week 40: Tarragona, Spain [Entry List]

Marcel won 1-6 7-5 6-0

He has improved a lot since he's coached by the great Fernando Vicente :D
I hope he can get back to the top-50

Superb from Marcel. He was actually a break down in that 2nd set.

Put 50 quid on him to win at 2/1 when he lost the first set - get in.:cool:

Any player that can beat Soderling from 2 sets down must have real quality so hope he shoots up the rankings.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Congrats for Granollers for the victory. It was another good week for Pospisil :yeah: Shame that he was unable to close the match when he was leading 4-2 in the 2nd set (according to Willoughby report as I didn`t watch the match)

·
Banned
59,367 Posts

dont carried away Jambo, on the whole marcel is weak in all departments expect for maybe mental strength.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Yes, i'm not too worried about this lost, since I was expecting too. Pospisil is one of those low ranked (than Fred) players that Gil will always lose, and I am remembering another example: Martin Klizan. If we think twice, Gil done the minimuns. He was 4th seed, so SF it's all we can ask. And very nice draw for him til the SF, in Tashkent. I think he can end the season in top 80. Like I said before, he almost have zero points to defend until the rest of the season, and he will play in 2 big challengers next week, being an high seed in both of them...
Yup, but I don't see him finishing top 80. I think he'll probably finish like #92. His form has not been good and I don't think it's going to get better playing on hard court.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

This. Totally agree. Gil is clearly realizing that he's playing poorly, so he skiped dirrect acceptances on ATP level, so secure Top100 for the end of season (very important to assure direct acceptance to Australian open). He is trying so, by playing small or asian challengers instead.
Afterwards, he will play ATP Montpellier and probably qualy for Valencia and Paris, and then close his season, like he did last year.
And IMO it's the right thing to do, since he needs badly the off-season for a lot of practice, he's playing just average, just enough to grasp a place at Top-100.
But anyway, good luck to him, he only needs about 40 points till the end of the season to get to the Aussie Open!
Yup, it's a smart strategy for anyone ranked in the area close to top 100 to play some challengers, with the weaker draws, get some wins and points on the board, and hopefully confidence with it. It's definitely the correct strategy. I just hope he can get those few wins he needs to make it happen.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Great comeback by Marcel!!!! As we saw in Bucharest, he's the ultimate competitor. He fights hard and wills himself to victory when not at his best. His form has definitely improved, he was struggling and in danger of falling from the top 100, but now he's been making it consistently deep in challengers, and did well in Romania. So happy for him, he works so hard and deserves it.

Vicente+Granollers make a great team, they have similar feisty attitudes, and they are both good to watch. Marcel is a really underrated player, I hope he continues winning and can translate these challenger results in ATP competition more often.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts