11,827 Posts
Re: Week 40: Tarragona, Spain [Entry List]

yeess!!!! Gil holds it after saving a MP

Win on TB Fred!

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Pospisil def. Gil again. 6-2 4-6 7-6(5) Congrats to him.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Extremely predictable result.

Popsickle rubs me the wrong way, so I'm not happy about this result. I don't really like him, but I do have to say, he's got WAY more game than I ever thought possible. I thought he sucked, but the past couple of months, he's been one of the best challenger players. I don't know where it's come from either, I guess just confidence.

Fred, please play Tashkent and gain more points. He's in the top 100 now, and a good result in Tashkent would solidify a top 100 finish at the end of the season.

As for the final, it's going to depend on Popsickle's energy level. If he's fit and fresh, it's 50-50. Good luck Marcel!

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Disappointing, but look at the bright side. Fred is top 100 again :D Also he has an easy draw in Uzbekistan if he decides to play there to really solidify a top 100 spot. So this was a productive week, especially considering his level of late.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Disappointing, but look at the bright side. Fred is top 100 again :D Also he has an easy draw in Uzbekistan if he decides to play there to really solidify a top 100 spot. So this was a productive week, especially considering his level of late.
This. Totally agree. Gil is clearly realizing that he's playing poorly, so he skiped dirrect acceptances on ATP level, so secure Top100 for the end of season (very important to assure direct acceptance to Australian open). He is trying so, by playing small or asian challengers instead.
Afterwards, he will play ATP Montpellier and probably qualy for Valencia and Paris, and then close his season, like he did last year.
And IMO it's the right thing to do, since he needs badly the off-season for a lot of practice, he's playing just average, just enough to grasp a place at Top-100.
But anyway, good luck to him, he only needs about 40 points till the end of the season to get to the Aussie Open!

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Yes, i'm not too worried about this lost, since I was expecting too. Pospisil is one of those low ranked (than Fred) players that Gil will always lose, and I am remembering another example: Martin Klizan. If we think twice, Gil done the minimuns. He was 4th seed, so SF it's all we can ask. And very nice draw for him til the SF, in Tashkent. I think he can end the season in top 80. Like I said before, he almost have zero points to defend until the rest of the season, and he will play in 2 big challengers next week, being an high seed in both of them...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Also for me Granollers is better player on hard courts or fast clay ones.

Your post is a good analysis of both players, I agree with almost all it but I think you're pretty optimist thinking Riba can be Top50. Maybe anytime he gets it but is difficult can maintain this ranking so long.
I'd compare Riba to Robert last year. A solid challenger player but changed into nothing at ATP level with only 1 or 2 brilliant moments in all ATP season.
I`m not being optimistic about Riba...yet :) I`m just being focused on the way Riba is carrying his career which is under my opinion in the right way. He is probably the best player on the Challenger tour and besides of some silly defeats he is proving that he is one step above of that level. The next two years he will need to prove that he can be a stable player of ATP tournaments, at least on clay tournaments on a first step.

I wouldn`t compare Riba with Robert as they are different players. Robert found his best tennis at 29 years old with all his experience on his shoulders which is a totally different situation to Pere`s one who is just 22 years old and three years on behind to show what he can do.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

This is another good victory for Pospisil. He is a weird case of a player whose attacking game with flat shots, good volleys and consistent serve would be adapted better to hard courts but to the contrary he plays much better on clay ones.

It seems to be that the experience is the key of this success on 201. Not sure what happened on previous years of his career.

Gil needs to recover his confidence and motivation back. Frederico is a player that can alternate some ATP and Challenger tour and be ranked between 50 and 120. I hope to see his best back :yeah:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Popsickle was leading 6-1 and *2-1 before the rain delay. Then he was 4-2 up in the 2nd set, but Granollers has won 8 of the last 9 games and is now leading by 1-6 7-5 3-0*

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Marcel won 1-6 7-5 6-0

He has improved a lot since he's coached by the great Fernando Vicente :D
I hope he can get back to the top-50

121 - 140 of 150 Posts