Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: Week 40: Tarragona, Spain [Entry List]

Close match as expected, congrats to Gil!

Hopefully Ramos can reach the top-100 in the South American challengers.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Nice win, Fred! Now Pospisil, very hard match. The only time they play each other this year, a win for Vasek...:sad:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Good victory for Fred, an expected tight encounter. Now a top 100 position is assured for Fred next week. Hopefully he beats Pospisil tomorrow but I don't think he will.

Also good victories for Marcel and Pere, that should be a good match. Expecting Pere to win that match.

Definitely hopeful that ARV makes the top 100 before the end of the season, he has essentially nothing to defend now. He blew a great opportunity last week in losing to Veic in Napoli.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

QFs

[1,WC] Marcel GRANOLLERS (ESP) vs [LL] Jose CHECA-CALVO (ESP) 6-1 6-1
[3] Pere RIBA (ESP) vs [8] Benoit PAIRE (FRA) 6-3 7-6(4)
[4,WC] Frederico GIL (POR) vs [6] Albert RAMOS-VINOLAS (ESP) 6-4 4-6 6-4
Jaroslav POSPISIL (CZE) vs Guillermo OLASO (ESP) 6-7(3) 6-1 6-1

·
Registered
43 Posts

hmmmm, Pospisil-Gil...it's gonna be the revenge to Jaro's win in Prostejov this year :boxing: there it was a huge choke by Frederico and it started Pospisil's great results :yeah: I hope, Pospisil will be the winner again!!! :clap2:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Riba is the favourite to win that SF match against Granollers and the title too.

Good victory for Frederico Gil against Ramos Viñolas in 1/4. If he is in a quite decent day he should beat Pospisil.

This is great to see Pospisil in a semifinal again. Great victory that one in the first round against Andujar :worship:. Even if he can beat Gil Riba will be the favourite to win. Good luck for Jaroslav :)

·
Banned
34,908 Posts

Granollers def. Riba 3-6 6-3 6-4

Pere broke back in the third set at *4-3 but Marcel broke to love and held to love to end the match.

These last few weeks have been very productive for Marcel, he was in danger of falling from the top 100, that isn't an issue anymore.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Riba is the favourite to win that SF match against Granollers and the title too.

Good victory for Frederico Gil against Ramos Viñolas in 1/4. If he is in a quite decent day he should beat Pospisil.

This is great to see Pospisil in a semifinal again. Great victory that one in the first round against Andujar :worship:. Even if he can beat Gil Riba will be the favourite to win. Good luck for Jaroslav :)
Riba can't ever be favourite against Granollers.

Granollers is a ATP player with capacity to be in Top50, Riba is a challenger player, fighter but nothing special.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

Riba can't ever be favourite against Granollers.

Granollers is a ATP player with capacity to be in Top50, Riba is a challenger player, fighter but nothing special.
I don`t agree with you. Both players have different skills and weakness points.

Granollers has the skills to be a good player but he proved aswell that he is mentally too weak. Of course he can return to be a top 50 (not even he plays ok on clay but under my opinion he can achieve his best results on hard courts), although he is nothing extraordinary.

I agree with you that Riba is nothing special and that he is just a big fighter (not only on his tennis but on his mind too) and he can only produce good results on clay (till now). His schedule along the year was more than clear after he was close to reach the top 100 (focus on earning points on the Challenger tour and play some ATP tournaments). And I think he can be a top 50 player too especially with his performances during the clay season. Next year is going to be the key for him after he start playing a full ATP schedule.

Unfortunately I couldn`t see the match between them but due to the stronger and weakness point of each player I believed the mental strenght of Riba was going to prevail. Of course I proved me wrongly this time ;)

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Anyone got more news on Gil Pospisil match?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

I don`t agree with you. Both players have different skills and weakness points.

Granollers has the skills to be a good player but he proved aswell that he is mentally too weak. Of course he can return to be a top 50 (not even he plays ok on clay but under my opinion he can achieve his best results on hard courts), although he is nothing extraordinary.

I agree with you that Riba is nothing special and that he is just a big fighter (not only on his tennis but on his mind too) and he can only produce good results on clay (till now). His schedule along the year was more than clear after he was close to reach the top 100 (focus on earning points on the Challenger tour and play some ATP tournaments). And I think he can be a top 50 player too especially with his performances during the clay season. Next year is going to be the key for him after he start playing a full ATP schedule.

Unfortunately I couldn`t see the match between them but due to the stronger and weakness point of each player I believed the mental strenght of Riba was going to prevail. Of course I proved me wrongly this time ;)
Also for me Granollers is better player on hard courts or fast clay ones.

Your post is a good analysis of both players, I agree with almost all it but I think you're pretty optimist thinking Riba can be Top50. Maybe anytime he gets it but is difficult can maintain this ranking so long.
I'd compare Riba to Robert last year. A solid challenger player but changed into nothing at ATP level with only 1 or 2 brilliant moments in all ATP season.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts