Mens Tennis Forums banner

321 - 340 of 357 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,983 Posts
Another nice feature would be to be able to format inside a code. If I try to bold and underline the example below, nothing happens if it's still inside the code.

Ex.

Code:
Mens Tennis Forums

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm trying to edit posts in the Games section and I ran into the message saying "You are only allowed to edit 10 posts in a 7 day period" or something like that. I thought editing wasn't going to be a problem in the Games section. It's extremely necessary to do so freely.

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Is there any chance download as text is coming back @Steve , @BMT360 & @Snowwy are about to manage AO in Tennis Tipping , it will be very time consuming without this , just wondering if it's being considered ?

BB code also , any chance?
As I hope to have established as a reputation with y'all, all things are potential to be developed. To make sure I design it the way y'all are thinking. Would you prefer an entire thread downloaded, or individual messages, or a way to select messages. Based on the exampled later in the thread I am guessing Time stamp and user names are significant... Any other information?
We have the ability and space to consider everything, but this thread primarily helps our dev team focus their time.
BB code, is not something I can confidently say will happen. Advanced text editing? I've definitely suggested. The concern mostly with code based text editing is that it may be used to hide, manipulate, or otherwise be bad. No finger pointing to any community members, but it is good practice to be prepared against the possibility.

How do I change the text label underneath my user name? The thing that says "Registered" for regular members, "Premium Member" for premium members, "Moderator" for mods, etc. I can't find where that is in Settings. Since I restored my old user name, I don't need it to say "a.k.a. Kat_YYZ" anymore.
Currently this is not a thing users can manipulate. I've removed yours since it is a little redundant since you're no longer displaying your favouritism for ClayDeath (yes I know it was done as a bet ;) )
This may be something you see when we roll out the premium benefits packages in the next little bit of time.

Hi,
I have two questions:
1- I am not allowed to edit more than a certain amount of posts within 7 days: as I run Tennis Tipping tournaments, is it possible to delete this limitation?
2-When I copy and paste something from Excel, I would like the result not to look like this:
00:00 | (1) anny/gux (BLR/BLR) vs. nachotuerto/NextGenKing (URU/IRL)
00:00 | dinkulpus/Szymon (BUL/POL) vs. (3) Dr. Pils/Zberg (NED/NED)
00:00 | (2) Liedson_CH/Lisandro (BRA/BRA) vs. Allez-Alejo/Cazorla (USA/UKR)
00:00 | Jaker/Snowwy (CAN/CAN) vs. (4) Mahqz/supertom (GER/FRA)
That is to say I would like the pasting to be under the form of a text rather than of a spreadsheet

Thank you in advance
As I know it, because Tennis Tipping is in Games, it should have inherited the unlimited editing ability. Are you seeing an error message that sees otherwise? I know we had a tiny hiccup picked up by one of our techs on this site, but that should have cleared by late on Friday. Let me know

As for formatting, The best recommendation I have would be to paste without formatting. There are shortcuts for this that I can let you know of, or right click when wanting to past and just opt to do so without formatting. Does that help?

Another nice feature would be to be able to format inside a code. If I try to bold and underline the example below, nothing happens if it's still inside the code.

Ex.

Code:
Mens Tennis Forums
I know I can edit the text in a code, but are you saying that it doesn't display? That would be curious.

Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]Test
[/LIST]
Bold
Itallic
Underline
All
[LIST]
[*]Bullets
[*]Pew Pew
[/LIST]
I'm trying to edit posts in the Games section and I ran into the message saying "You are only allowed to edit 10 posts in a 7 day period" or something like that. I thought editing wasn't going to be a problem in the Games section. It's extremely necessary to do so freely.
As mentioned, this may have been part of the error. Can you confirm you're still having this issue?

-Gerrit

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #324 (Edited)
I know I can edit the text in a code, but are you saying that it doesn't display? That would be curious.
Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]Test
[/LIST]
Bold
Itallic
Underline
All
[LIST]
[*]Bullets
[*]Pew Pew
[/LIST]
welp, this isn't as intended. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'll log this and look for the fly swatter. :)

-Gerrit

Edit: Turns out, it is as expected. Looking into the back end the "Code" function is intended to be a plain text coding thing, so you can "show your work" in any imbedding or coding. This may see a revamp with the further advanced editing options, but I can't say for sure yet.

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
@Steve thanks for the continued support to our questions here

For downloading as text , old PM and now conversations, what works for Tennis tipping is to be able to click on all the conversations you want to download as text , there is really nothing inside except picks and time stamp , then we would download say 30 picks at one time for example.

It is painfully slow to open a conversation, copy the picks , paste to sheet , close conversation, click on conversations again then click on the next, as we must now since losing this option.

As for editing as many in the games are commenting , just keep in mind they are not run from the games section but from the current tournament section of the site.

For a last comment, I want to say there is a lot I like about the new site, and prefer how I can navigate easily all over , especially from my phone as I am now.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
As I know it, because Tennis Tipping is in Games, it should have inherited the unlimited editing ability. Are you seeing an error message that sees otherwise? I know we had a tiny hiccup picked up by one of our techs on this site, but that should have cleared by late on Friday. Let me know.

As mentioned, this may have been part of the error. Can you confirm you're still having this issue?
I am still having this issue. Games section is also affected by the editing limit.

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
@Steve thanks for the continued support to our questions here

For downloading as text , old PM and now conversations, what works for Tennis tipping is to be able to click on all the conversations you want to download as text , there is really nothing inside except picks and time stamp , then we would download say 30 picks at one time for example.

It is painfully slow to open a conversation, copy the picks , paste to sheet , close conversation, click on conversations again then click on the next, as we must now since losing this option.

As for editing as many in the games are commenting , just keep in mind they are not run from the games section but from the current tournament section of the site.

For a last comment, I want to say there is a lot I like about the new site, and prefer how I can navigate easily all over , especially from my phone as I am now.
We absolutely can develop this out. Would you still want it to be Conversation/PM download dependant, or would you look for some other additional feature that we can build? The options are open to whatever you feel like creating in this sandbox.
Can you explain what this means:
That may help me address any issues currently around editing.
Happy to hear it's still enjoyable for ya!
I am still having this issue. Games section is also affected by the editing limit.
View attachment 353301
Oof, ok I'll look into this and hopefully get some techs to sort this all out. my apologies on this matter.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Sorry for a question someone's probably already asked (but that's the problem: I can't see any way of doing an in-thread search!), but how do I get the forum to take me to the last unread post in any thread, please? The "Jump to Latest" link doesn't do it.

·
Premium Member
20,465 Posts

Currently this is not a thing users can manipulate. I've removed yours since it is a little redundant since you're no longer displaying your favouritism for ClayDeath (yes I know it was done as a bet ;) )
This may be something you see when we roll out the premium benefits packages in the next little bit of time.

-Gerrit
Okay, thanks for changing it.

·
Super Moderator
9,983 Posts
Edit: Turns out, it is as expected. Looking into the back end the "Code" function is intended to be a plain text coding thing, so you can "show your work" in any imbedding or coding. This may see a revamp with the further advanced editing options, but I can't say for sure yet.
That's definitely a cool idea, but I'm not sure that is really necessary for a tennis forum. 😆

We sometimes like to use the code feature to have thing look nicely organized, but now we can't do that because we can't format anything inside of it.

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Sorry for a question someone's probably already asked (but that's the problem: I can't see any way of doing an in-thread search!), but how do I get the forum to take me to the last unread post in any thread, please? The "Jump to Latest" link doesn't do it.
We just released the search update for this.

Improved Search
We are excited to introduce more search functionality to help members find the information they need faster and easier. Now, you can search the entire site or narrow down to a specific forum or discussion that you are currently viewing.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
@Steve

I only know of how it was (download as text in old PM's) , and really have no better idea how to download all at once, of course if someone knew a better/easier way, that would be great! The key is not having to open the PM/conversation, just clicking each box of unread, then having the ability to send it to one place.

This is the games Forum, even though we do a lot here , it's not where we run most of our events , other then challengers in Tennis Tipping

Here is a sample of Adelaide under current tournaments, where you will see all the different games played this week

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
@Steve

I only know of how it was (download as text in old PM's) , and really have no better idea how to download all at once, of course if someone knew a better/easier way, that would be great! The key is not having to open the PM/conversation, just clicking each box of unread, then having the ability to send it to one place.

This is the games Forum, even though we do a lot here , it's not where we run most of our events , other then challengers in Tennis Tipping

Here is a sample of Adelaide under current tournaments, where you will see all the different games played this week

Since I only have an observer's view of this... Let me know what base function you need to run this game and we can work to finding a way to build that feature out :)

-Gerrit

·
Super Moderator
9,983 Posts
Since I only have an observer's view of this... Let me know what base function you need to run this game and we can work to finding a way to build that feature out :)

-Gerrit
The three incredibly helpful things I'd like to see done for the Games section is are the following: @a1canada will add on if I've missed something.

1. Eliminate the 1 week editing post restriction for Current, Upcoming, and Previous tournaments section. This is incredibly important. Having this restriction makes my job as a mod for that section much harder as I'm constantly being asked to update posts that the OP can't edit anymore.

2. Have an option to download all your Conversations as a .txt. file. This was available on the site prior to the migration. I'm not sure if you can see what that option looked like now that it's totally migrated, but it was basically a button at the private messages page that gave you the option to download all your messages as a particular file, it included .txt's, PDFs and a couple of other options that I can't remember right now. txt's basically extracted all of your messages and specially formatted on a notepad-like program so you can scroll down and see all your messages without having to individually open them on MTF. Now...why is this important for the games? For a certain game, the person running it might get hundreds of PMs within a 12 hour period. It is the manager's job to open the PMs and paste its contents into the game spreadsheet which produces what we then post in the thread. Instead of waiting for the forum to load and open each PM individually, manager's used to download them as that .txt file in order to skip all the waiting from the forum loading.

3. Allow formatting inside codes. While the code thing you mentioned early is cool, for a tennis forum it's a bit useless.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can I never edit a post ever again after 7 days? Or I just can't edit more than 10 within 7 days? I feel like I can edit some posts, but not others, and I haven't figure out the rhyme or reason to any of it. All of which are in the Games section...

It is very important that we can edit posts in the Games section without ANY restrictions.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'm running FITD Australian Open and I could not update the opening posts due to the new forum restriction. Any chance I could edit again soon?

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
The three incredibly helpful things I'd like to see done for the Games section is are the following: @a1canada will add on if I've missed something.

1. Eliminate the 1 week editing post restriction for Current, Upcoming, and Previous tournaments section. This is incredibly important. Having this restriction makes my job as a mod for that section much harder as I'm constantly being asked to update posts that the OP can't edit anymore.

2. Have an option to download all your Conversations as a .txt. file. This was available on the site prior to the migration. I'm not sure if you can see what that option looked like now that it's totally migrated, but it was basically a button at the private messages page that gave you the option to download all your messages as a particular file, it included .txt's, PDFs and a couple of other options that I can't remember right now. txt's basically extracted all of your messages and specially formatted on a notepad-like program so you can scroll down and see all your messages without having to individually open them on MTF. Now...why is this important for the games? For a certain game, the person running it might get hundreds of PMs within a 12 hour period. It is the manager's job to open the PMs and paste its contents into the game spreadsheet which produces what we then post in the thread. Instead of waiting for the forum to load and open each PM individually, manager's used to download them as that .txt file in order to skip all the waiting from the forum loading.

3. Allow formatting inside codes. While the code thing you mentioned early is cool, for a tennis forum it's a bit useless.
Games, as a section should be unlimited, if this is not the case, this will broadly affect other places in the forum. Please let me know if you're seeing anything to indicate otherwise.
As I am mentioning with any and all fixes y'all are looking for, rather than looking for a feature back let me know what function you're looking to preform. I may be able to develop a function that works better than the old or familiar paths. Rather than looking for a way to download, just for you to have to do more manual work, why not help us make things more automated :)
Code blocks by nature are meant to be raw code. We are working on more formatting options over all, but I can't promise that the fundamentals of the Code section will change. As above, why is it significant to have this beyond the future changes to formatting.

Can I never edit a post ever again after 7 days? Or I just can't edit more than 10 within 7 days? I feel like I can edit some posts, but not others, and I haven't figure out the rhyme or reason to any of it. All of which are in the Games section...

It is very important that we can edit posts in the Games section without ANY restrictions.
The english language is ficle and perhaps the wording around editing needs to be more clear. Members have unlimited editing on a post within 24 hours. After 24 hours you can use one of your 10 edit abilities to continue to make changes to any post. When using 1 of your 10 edits, it goes on its own timer that resets 7 days after the edit was used. Posts in designated "Unlimited sections" should not have their editing ability affected this way, but there seems to be an issue where posts edits are still being counted towards in the 10 available edits when used in the unlimited sections. Please bear with us as we resolve this.

I'm running FITD Australian Open and I could not update the opening posts due to the new forum restriction. Any chance I could edit again soon?
View attachment 353343
Edits return 7 days after using them. So 7 days after your first edit was used you will be able to use it again.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
14,221 Posts
When will be the new "modes" (skins?) not being black or white introduced?
Why is the development of every new feature this sluggish??

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Could I suggest a bit of rephrasing be considered sometime for the blurb at the top of the righthand column on the home page?

"Mens Tennis Forums Since 2002 A forum community dedicated to male tennis players and enthusiasts."

It does sound rather as though the enthusiasts have to be male as well as the players!

321 - 340 of 357 Posts