Mens Tennis Forums banner

301 - 320 of 357 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
This may be the thing you're broadly looking for: Release Notes

Though there are some smaller changes made to the software based off of feedback here... so it is not all of the changes y'all will see

If there is enough community interest in developing this further, we can certainly build something like this again. If we do, what features are you most interested in seeing developed? What would it look like? Where would it live? how would it function?

At the core of it developing features for the forum is one of the reasons for this thread after all, so I'm excited to hear your suggestions.
-Gerrit
Gerrit you better stop being the hero of MTF or else I'm going to cook you some homemade slow cooked brisket.

In regards to the rep system. It was basically a way to approve a comment or disapprove a comment and leave a personal message to that person based on the rep you gave them.

For example I could give you a good rep for your post here and comment by saying "Wow thanks for all the hard work" and it would show up in your reputation section with a green box (meaning good rep), my username and the "Wow thanks for all the hard work comment".

You could also give a bad rep which would show up as a red box, my username and a comment like "I dislike the use of the word Yall"

The thing is that none of this is public and would be it's own page in your own notification section.

Hope the explanation makes sense

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Rep system sustained a third level of communication between members. It was neither public as the posts and "likes" or private as the MP. It was intermediate. It was send in private but with assumption and tradition that content may be made public by the repped user.

There were two epic, now mytical threads about 'Who badrepped/goodrepped you" where reps were made public by choice, and discussed. There were notorious reppers, reps battles. A whole environment that was part of the community and was possitive for it's dynamics.

Rep system should be brought back, if possible.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
If there is enough community interest in developing this further, we can certainly build something like this again. If we do, what features are you most interested in seeing developed? What would it look like? Where would it live? how would it function?

At the core of it developing features for the forum is one of the reasons for this thread after all, so I'm excited to hear your suggestions.
-Gerrit
You could look into the reputation system in the old version of the forum. We want exactly all those features which have been explained above by Kowchi and Bakano. I would also explain that when a user receives a certain amount of good/bad reps, a stripe in green or red (as the case may be) will show under the avatar in indication of that. But honestly that is secondary to the communication function of the good rep system mentioned by the above two users. No one wants to spam PMs for some light-hearted or rather "unimportant" comments you would like to make in private to a certain user in respect of a certain post, but reputations are always welcome. It was such a significant function that the user who gave the most good reps, Mimi, is known on the forum as "good rep queen". The like function is simply insufficient because we don't want to just "like" a post, sometimes we also have something to say about it and the reputation system is how we do it.

Edit: I remember a thread where MTF users have voted the reputation system as the feature they would like to bring back the most. I lost track of the thread though and would appreciate it if some other users can help me on this. @Kowchi @Bakano

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
You could look into the reputation system in the old version of the forum. We want exactly all those features which have been explained above by Kowchi and Bakano. I would also explain that when a user receives a certain amount of good/bad reps, a stripe in green or red (as the case may be) will show under the avatar in indication of that. But honestly that is secondary to the communication function of the good rep system mentioned by the above two users. No one wants to spam PMs for some light-hearted or rather "unimportant" comments you would like to make in private to a certain user in respect of a certain post, but reputations are always welcome. It was such a significant function that the user who gave the most good reps, Mimi, is known on the forum as "good rep queen". The like function is simply insufficient because we don't want to just "like" a post, sometimes we also have something to say about it and the reputation system is how we do it.

Edit: I remember a thread where MTF users have voted the reputation system as the feature they would like to bring back the most. I lost track of the thread though and would appreciate it if some other users can help me on this. @Kowchi @Bakano

@Steve This is the thread I was talking about. Please do consider bringing back the reputation system.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts

Hmm I didn't recieve your @. Also you didnt link the thread.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Hmm I didn't recieve your @. Also you didnt link the thread.
Strange. It also happened to me that I didn't get notified of an @.

I have been a mug and forgotten to paste. Fixed now.

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Thanks for documenting this for us. These ghost notifications are certainly a head scratcher, but I think one of our techs has worked on a solution similar to this, so I am going to work with her to see if we can work to finding a resolution for ya.

Gerrit you better stop being the hero of MTF or else I'm going to cook you some homemade slow cooked brisket.

In regards to the rep system. It was basically a way to approve a comment or disapprove a comment and leave a personal message to that person based on the rep you gave them.

For example I could give you a good rep for your post here and comment by saying "Wow thanks for all the hard work" and it would show up in your reputation section with a green box (meaning good rep), my username and the "Wow thanks for all the hard work comment".

You could also give a bad rep which would show up as a red box, my username and a comment like "I dislike the use of the word Yall"

The thing is that none of this is public and would be it's own page in your own notification section.

Hope the explanation makes sense
Not aiming to be any type of hero, just looking to do right by y'all. :)
Thanks for explaining this to me this thoroughly. I guess my question for everyone is, is this exactly how you want it to look and function on this software? We can certainly develop it to look and work like this if wanted, but feel free to colour outside of the lines in your suggestions and feedback too

Is it not possible to search through a specific thread on this forum?
As of me posting this right now, no. By the end of the day...... MAYBE ;)
This is something I noticed in TT, you can't add @ later with an edit, this is something I did often, but seemingly does not work that way now.
Unfortunately TT is a 3rd party app so I can't do anything to affect this other than grunt loudly in their direction, though you can try asking the dev team there to work on it too.

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Thanks for documenting this for us. These ghost notifications are certainly a head scratcher, but I think one of our techs has worked on a solution similar to this, so I am going to work with her to see if we can work to finding a resolution for ya.

Thanks for explaining this to me this thoroughly. I guess my question for everyone is, is this exactly how you want it to look and function on this software? We can certainly develop it to look and work like this if wanted, but feel free to colour outside of the lines in your suggestions and feedback too.

-Gerrit
We really dont care that much

https://www.menstennisforums.com/threads/so-which-is-the-worst-feature-of-the-new-forum.983353/ .

See this thread

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts

Thanks for explaining this to me this thoroughly. I guess my question for everyone is, is this exactly how you want it to look and function on this software? We can certainly develop it to look and work like this if wanted, but feel free to colour outside of the lines in your suggestions and feedback too

As of me posting this right now, no. By the end of the day...... MAYBE ;)

Unfortunately TT is a 3rd party app so I can't do anything to affect this other than grunt loudly in their direction, though you can try asking the dev team there to work on it too.

-Gerrit
As for Tennis Tipping, mostly everything we do is in the current tournament section, so I think everything works the same as the rest of the site.

For the Ghost notifications, I think this could be from multiple replies within a conversation, both users that have the issue are Tennis Tipping Players (Snowwy and PortlandTimbers) I am running ATP CUP and sending of conversations to teams of 4 players, this works much differently to how old PM's worked when users reply to the conversation, not saying I know how to clear this, but the notifications for conversations are much different, and get lost easily inbox as compared to old style. So possibly the notifications are for conversations within a conversation and not being noticed is my thought.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
The URLs for each forum changed over night so you will have also broken every link to the forums on the web. I noticed because I had General Messages bookmarked and it stopped working.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I think I can say on bahalf of a majority here that we would be happy with something similar to the one we had in the past. Kowchi explained the gist of how it should work. Other things are honestly secondary and could be looked into after the system is set up.

Have to say I thought the rep system was gone for good before approaching you guys and I'm very happy that the team is willing to look into it. I hope I could give a good reputation to Steve in the future for one of these posts.

·
Premium Member
20,464 Posts
If VS rebuilds the reputation system back from scratch before we get something as simple as a few more slightly adjusted forum skins -- so we have more than just Light and Dark Mode -- I swear my head's gonna explode. :mad:

@Steve - when you have a moment, please check the Name Change thread in the Site Supporters sub-forum; I have a pending request. Thank you.

·
Administrator
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
This actually is super helpful to help us prioritize what is most important to update for y'all, so thanks!

As for Tennis Tipping, mostly everything we do is in the current tournament section, so I think everything works the same as the rest of the site.

For the Ghost notifications, I think this could be from multiple replies within a conversation, both users that have the issue are Tennis Tipping Players (Snowwy and PortlandTimbers) I am running ATP CUP and sending of conversations to teams of 4 players, this works much differently to how old PM's worked when users reply to the conversation, not saying I know how to clear this, but the notifications for conversations are much different, and get lost easily inbox as compared to old style. So possibly the notifications are for conversations within a conversation and not being noticed is my thought.
Yeah, this was an immediate thought of the tech team, but last major site update we had similar issues where some sites were receiving notices from December 1969 or thereabouts, instead of the current or valid date. We're looking into both ideas as possible resolutions. Good looking out for us! :)

The URLs for each forum changed over night so you will have also broken every link to the forums on the web. I noticed because I had General Messages bookmarked and it stopped working.
This should only affect browser side bookmarks, in which case I just recommend updating them, but all in site links should still redirect as intended. Let me know if that is not accurate for you.

If VS rebuilds the reputation system back from scratch before we get something as simple as a few more slightly adjusted forum skins -- so we have more than just Light and Dark Mode -- I swear my head's gonna explode. :mad:

@Steve - when you have a moment, please check the Name Change thread in the Site Supporters sub-forum; I have a pending request. Thank you.
I can't promise the order that any fixes roll out. Sometimes development on one feature unravels quicker or in-line with already established site rules. We are working on both, and we tend to work chronologically based on the date the request submitted. (colours were I think the first request I logged for y'all)

Apologies for missing that subforum thread, next time ping us in a conversation if we're taking too long :) I try to check those frequently

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
Is there any chance download as text is coming back @Steve , @BMT360 & @Snowwy are about to manage AO in Tennis Tipping , it will be very time consuming without this , just wondering if it's being considered ?

BB code also , any chance?

·
Premium Member
20,464 Posts
How do I change the text label underneath my user name? The thing that says "Registered" for regular members, "Premium Member" for premium members, "Moderator" for mods, etc. I can't find where that is in Settings. Since I restored my old user name, I don't need it to say "a.k.a. Kat_YYZ" anymore.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Hi,
I have two questions:
1- I am not allowed to edit more than a certain amount of posts within 7 days: as I run Tennis Tipping tournaments, is it possible to delete this limitation?
2-When I copy and paste something from Excel, I would like the result not to look like this:
00:00 | (1) anny/gux (BLR/BLR) vs. nachotuerto/NextGenKing (URU/IRL)
00:00 | dinkulpus/Szymon (BUL/POL) vs. (3) Dr. Pils/Zberg (NED/NED)
00:00 | (2) Liedson_CH/Lisandro (BRA/BRA) vs. Allez-Alejo/Cazorla (USA/UKR)
00:00 | Jaker/Snowwy (CAN/CAN) vs. (4) Mahqz/supertom (GER/FRA)
That is to say I would like the pasting to be under the form of a text rather than of a spreadsheet

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hi,
I have two questions:
1- I am not allowed to edit more than a certain amount of posts within 7 days: as I run Tennis Tipping tournaments, is it possible to delete this limitation?
2-When I copy and paste something from Excel, I would like the result not to look like this:
That is to say I would like the pasting to be under the form of a text rather than of a spreadsheet

Thank you in advance
You can paste the results in Notepad and then copy and paste it on forum.
I know it's not a perfect solution, but it's the only way to keep your results off the table.

·
Registered
14,221 Posts
Boundlessly agree.

OFF
Welcome back, Kat. Legends are legends, because they did some extraordinary, but good to have your user name back. I was so-so used to it during my years on here and honestly hated the other newer one, just because it always reminded me what a lunatic "Clay Death" had been. Sorry, I just love to spill the truth (even if I perceived why you loved that thread of him ofc).
And once I was a member of the Castle too, so I know what I am talking about.

301 - 320 of 357 Posts