Mens Tennis Forums banner

281 - 300 of 346 Posts

·
Administrator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Hiw can you not be able to change the color scheme based on the platform?

Any decent coder should be able to figure how change colors a round at least. Like I said it doesnt have to be completely old school like the last forum.

But outside of light and dark mode , you should be able to change the colors around
We don't make design or development changes on a site by site basis. All updates are network wide.
-Philip

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
We don't make design or development changes on a site by site basis. All updates are network wide.
-Philip
So all VS. forums are in the same boat?

All have lost any original color that they had and are now either light or dark mode.....

Why don't you make color changes on a site by site basis? Are you saying that because of the new network update that you cannot make any design changes? Or have you been instructed not to make design changes?

I'm just trying to understand.

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
Another question. Did you do any testing of these themes or ask forum members opinions on them? VS has hundreds of unique and interesting forums and did you not go into their general messages sections or most popular forum and gather data or was this change mandated from the executives.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Ran into another problem this week, getting a message that says can only make 10 edits in 7 days ?

Running the game of Tennis Tipping, we have to keep editing our first page daily, singles and doubles itself takes 14 edits in a week, and I liked to also edit my order of play daily, this limit really handcuffs my ability to run a quality thread!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The ignoring system needs an overhaul, right now it's a failed feature. It doesn't even serve its simplest purpose which is blocking ignored posters while showing the content of not-ignored posters, because you can't even see/enter threads of ignored posters and miss every other post in those threads as well. Particularly with match-threads, this is a HUGE flaw in the system. I think I have around 80 posters on "Ignore", so I'll probably not be able to enter tons of match threads, especially the ones of top players. Would be nice to see this being dealt with before the first major tournaments start.

I once posted a list of customization options and how I'd wish the feature to be like (will quote this post again), but even though it would be nice to see some improvements in that system (which hasn't been great in the past either) and some general functional improvements compared to the old board, this is pretty much an addition to the basic (and necessary) purpose of ths feature that it is currently lacking.

I would personally like customization options similar to this:
  • Ignore everything (like it is right now)
  • Ignore all posts including quotes of ignored posters (but display threads)
  • Only ignore posts itself (displays threads and quotes of ignores posters)
And possibly another option how ignored posts are displayed (or not) like:
  • Show nothing (ignored posts are not visible at all like currently) or
  • A remark that there's an ignored posts with the option of displaying it separately

·
73,360 Posts
There are browser extensions available for both Firefox and Chrome that will allow you to make adjustments to color hue and contrast. This is just one example.
-Philip
Just as V/S doesn't do things on a site by site basis I also do not change my browser on a site to site basis. I do not use either Firefox or Chrome.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I think, I have the same problem, that @Snowwy has already mentioned.
I permanently have 2 new conversations, but if I filter "Unread" there aren't any - see Screenshot below:

How can I get rid of those 2?

·
Administrator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
So all VS. forums are in the same boat?

All have lost any original color that they had and are now either light or dark mode.....

Why don't you make color changes on a site by site basis? Are you saying that because of the new network update that you cannot make any design changes? Or have you been instructed not to make design changes?

I'm just trying to understand.
Yes, sort of. We were encountering an increasing number of issues with and on the old software, hence the decision to update it. We are primarily looking develop, update, or fix functions that y'all are interested in first. From there we will continue to look otherwise as intended. Not all sites are the same, nor do we treat them as such, but there is a general framework we're looking to apply across the board to help us make the updates that are needed as smooth as possible.

Ran into another problem this week, getting a message that says can only make 10 edits in 7 days ?

Running the game of Tennis Tipping, we have to keep editing our first page daily, singles and doubles itself takes 14 edits in a week, and I liked to also edit my order of play daily, this limit really handcuffs my ability to run a quality thread!
There is still some work being done on the post-editing abilities. We're still tweaking this feature so more updates and specifics will be shared once we have them.

The ignoring system needs an overhaul, right now it's a failed feature. It doesn't even serve its simplest purpose which is blocking ignored posters while showing the content of not-ignored posters, because you can't even see/enter threads of ignored posters and miss every other post in those threads as well. Particularly with match-threads, this is a HUGE flaw in the system. I think I have around 80 posters on "Ignore", so I'll probably not be able to enter tons of match threads, especially the ones of top players. Would be nice to see this being dealt with before the first major tournaments start.

I once posted a list of customization options and how I'd wish the feature to be like (will quote this post again), but even though it would be nice to see some improvements in that system (which hasn't been great in the past either) and some general functional improvements compared to the old board, this is pretty much an addition to the basic (and necessary) purpose of ths feature that it is currently lacking.
This is something on our radar, but the edits were a priority along with some updates we're looking to roll out for mods and admins, Ignoring will see a function change but we're still developing how this will look and function. As we're still in the fairly early stages of this development if there are any specific functions beyond those listed you'd like to see built up, let us know!

Just as V/S doesn't do things on a site by site basis I also do not change my browser on a site to site basis. I do not use either Firefox or Chrome.
That is fair, and this is a solution I've personally broadly applied as it helps me on New sites I visit as well. :)

I think, I have the same problem, that @Snowwy has already mentioned.
I permanently have 2 new conversations, but if I filter "Unread" there aren't any - see Screenshot below:

View attachment 353121
How can I get rid of those 2?
This is an error we recorded with Snowwy and we're working towards a resolution here

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
Yes, sort of. We were encountering an increasing number of issues with and on the old software, hence the decision to update it. We are primarily looking develop, update, or fix functions that y'all are interested in first. From there we will continue to look otherwise as intended. Not all sites are the same, nor do we treat them as such, but there is a general framework we're looking to apply across the board to help us make the updates that are needed as smooth as

-Gerrit
Ok so functionality first and then potential visual updates?

I understand y'all , you all, are working on giving Mods abilities they need and making editing and posting blah blah, which is first priority.

The only reason I bring up the visual is because that is a large request from 90% of users. The new functions are great and actually 21st century oriented, but the pleasing visuals kept a lot of people on this forum. Dark blue and simple texts is an easy enough request.

Dark mode
Light mode
Classic mode (color change and old text.)

But keep plugging away at the finite and important details and then make sure to get back to us when you work on the above. You will win this forums popularity contest if that is the case... seriously this is the most requested thing from all users!

Best of Luck Gerrit, Ed, Phillip, Steve,

Kowchi

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Would like to have the rep system back because for some of us it functions like a mini PM. Sometimes what you want to say is not important enough for you to send a proper PM and the rep would be the way to do it.

·
Administrator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Ok so functionality first and then potential visual updates?

I understand y'all , you all, are working on giving Mods abilities they need and making editing and posting blah blah, which is first priority.

The only reason I bring up the visual is because that is a large request from 90% of users. The new functions are great and actually 21st century oriented, but the pleasing visuals kept a lot of people on this forum. Dark blue and simple texts is an easy enough request.

Dark mode
Light mode
Classic mode (color change and old text.)

But keep plugging away at the finite and important details and then make sure to get back to us when you work on the above. You will win this forums popularity contest if that is the case... seriously this is the most requested thing from all users!

Best of Luck Gerrit, Ed, Phillip, Steve,

Kowchi
Thanks Kowchi, I know how important this is for y'all (sorry was raised in Southern US, and that's the one word that stuck with me after all these years). I hope to have this feature available once the function bumps smooth out.

Is there an easy way to change the color of the text?
Technically yes; however text colour editing currently does not translate between dark/light mode. This also has been used by some spam accounts to disguise their messages past our spam detection software and to sneak malicious content past our radar. So I just ask to not use this too much until we sort out a method that resolves both of the above.

Would like to have the rep system back because for some of us it functions like a mini PM. Sometimes what you want to say is not important enough for you to send a proper PM and the rep would be the way to do it.
Are you looking to leave public comments onto someone's profile? Or some other feature of the reputation system?

-Gerrit

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Are you looking to leave public comments onto someone's profile? Or some other feature of the reputation system?

-Gerrit
No - I'm not looking to leave a public comment on someone's profile. I want to know if a new reputation system (or similar features) will be introduced so that we can leave a private note to someone regarding a post he/she made. Because right now it's impossible unless you send an actual private message to someone.

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
That's
No - I'm not looking to leave a public comment on someone's profile. I want to know if a new reputation system (or similar features) will be introduced so that we can leave a private note to someone regarding a post he/she made. Because right now it's impossible unless you send an actual private message to someone.
That's probably gone. We have the like system and that seems to be the future of the forum.

·
Administrator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Sending a private message/starting a conversation is the only way to transmit a message in private to another user.
-Philip

·
Premium Member
9,723 Posts
Thanks Kowchi, I know how important this is for y'all (sorry was raised in Southern US, and that's the one word that stuck with me after all these years). I hope to have this feature available once the function bumps smooth out.

-Gerrit
I appreciate the the clarity from y'all. ( I say y'all too). Its the best edition to the English language.

Best of luck on the upgrade and maybe VS. Should consider a "Patch note" thread. As in what is changing on a daily and monthly basis.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
That's

That's probably gone. We have the like system and that seems to be the future of the forum.
What a shame that is. The rep system was extremely useful.

·
Administrator
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
I appreciate the the clarity from y'all. ( I say y'all too). Its the best edition to the English language.

Best of luck on the upgrade and maybe VS. Should consider a "Patch note" thread. As in what is changing on a daily and monthly basis.
This may be the thing you're broadly looking for: Release Notes

Though there are some smaller changes made to the software based off of feedback here... so it is not all of the changes y'all will see

What a shame that is. The rep system was extremely useful.
If there is enough community interest in developing this further, we can certainly build something like this again. If we do, what features are you most interested in seeing developed? What would it look like? Where would it live? how would it function?

At the core of it developing features for the forum is one of the reasons for this thread after all, so I'm excited to hear your suggestions.
-Gerrit

281 - 300 of 346 Posts