Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
There are many days in the week to play basketball on non NFL days however
Playsoffs are going to go head to head with NFL. And not only that but NCAA Football also.
NBA should of started a few weeks early.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
Why is the ATP official website keeping silence about it?
I understand that nothing is fixed yet and no final decisions have been made, but at least some form of acknowledgement would be good for the fans.

·
Registered
11,798 Posts
USTA/ATP plans to make this USO (+perhaps Cinci) participation optional for players. No qualifying, reduced doubles. No rankings points? Reduced prize money. No spectators. Most of top 100 unlikely to play. Marca article.

Exhibition farcical level stuff at USA's biggest viral epicenter. Selfishness and stupidity. Oh, hi Donald.

New York still leads the list in active cases. California and Florida fast rising case #s, maybe we can play in Hawaii? :)

From Worldometer - June 10, 2020.

Responsibly,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
When will these people finally learn that you can't bullshit a virus.

The virus doesn't give a fuck whether you're Johnson, Trump, Bolsanaro, the USTA or the FFT, and it is not impressed by posturing.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Its gonna get really ugly. Already has. I wonder, could the itf step in and try and force players to play the US open.
What would they do? They have no grounds to penalise players at all and even ATP can't do anything because slams aren't mandatory because such incentive hasn't been needed to get players to play them.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
US open is not going to happen. Play will more likely restart in Europe where the virus is much more under control in most coutries right now.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The irony of Fedbots even caring one way or another just reeks when the Swiss ‘GOAT’ is safely tucked away until 2021 inside some undisclosed bunker somewhere in Basel.

·
Premium Member
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Considering French Open should be a quite "normal" tournament. (French Scientific Council decided the end of emergency situation in France and French President should announce it next Sunday), I seriously doubt top players could accept 2 weeks quarantine + 2 weeks USO without a personal physio and private training facilities, and without personal medical assistance.
Training on clay for 2 MS and a Slam at home sounds far easier, curiously all Summer Exho (Austria Germany Balkans) are held on clay.

I doubt too ATP would allow points to USO without a significative part of top players. I know it happened in the past in Kooyong Slam when it was held in Christmas time and European did not travel there but Tennis is far more buisiness nowadays so having no names grabbing big points that could affect and spoilt 2021 Entry Ranking is probably not politically correct.

·
|
14,493 Posts
Imagine how dramatic it will be if Rafa plays the US Open and ties Federer's 20 and then goes to Roland Garros for 21.
It will count as a slam title, regardless of ranking points, and it'll make for some great fan wars....

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Imagine how dramatic it will be if Rafa plays the US Open and ties Federer's 20 and then goes to Roland Garros for 21.
It will count as a slam title, regardless of ranking points, and it'll make for some great fan wars....
Because that's what you need to feel better? Celebrating Rafa's great career and whatever he wins from now on is not enough? Quite pathetic.
You're clearly a person who only supports Rafa, that's fine, but it seems like you're even ignoring what he says (not wanting to travel to the US in this situation). That goes beyond idolising a person.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I mean why not cancel the US Hard Court Swing and restart the European Autumn Clay Season earlier with maybe some smaller Events in Europe followed by Madrid and Rome followed by Roland Garros.

·
|
14,493 Posts
Because that's what you need to feel better? Celebrating Rafa's great career and whatever he wins from now on is not enough? Quite pathetic.
You're clearly a person who only supports Rafa, that's fine, but it seems like you're even ignoring what he says (not wanting to travel to the US in this situation). That goes beyond idolising a person.
Wow, I shudder to think what cocktail of drugs led to your post.
Here is my post:
"Imagine how dramatic it will be if Rafa plays the US Open and ties Federer's 20 and then goes to Roland Garros for 21.
It will count as a slam title, regardless of ranking points, and it'll make for some great fan wars...."
I never even said I wanted Rafa to win a depleted US Open, all I said was "imagine...." because it would be a surreal situation.
I don't believe for second that Rafa will play the US Open if 70% of the top 100 is missing, and that's what makes the scenario (of Rafa winning #20 and tying Connors/Federer/Sampras with 5 titles at a depleted US Open) so surreal and controversial.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

USTA still plans for US Open to start Aug. 31
8:55 AM ET

• Peter BodoESPN.com Staff Write
The United States Tennis Association is moving ahead with its plans to play the US Open in its projected time frame, starting on Aug. 31.
The ATP and WTA have embraced the plan, along with a reshuffling of the August calendar, a source familiar with the plans has confirmed to ESPN

Forbes first reported Wednesday that the ATP and WTA would approve the plan to play the US Open at its originally scheduled time.

The USTA appears poised to announce the plan once it secures a green light from local and state health officials in New York, according to ESPN and Forbes.

"We're following each step in the [restart] procedure in the great hope that we an announce that the 2020 US Open will be played in its regularly scheduled date," Chris Widmaier, the USTA's director of communications, told ESPN. "We hope to make an announcement in the very near future."
The ATP Player Council was presented with a plan to hold the annual Cincinnati tournament -- which was to have started Aug. 16 -- in conjunction with the US Open in a two-event "bubble" at the National Tennis Center, home of the US Open.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, strict health protocols will be in place for the US Open, with testing regimens and restrictions on the movements and activities of players while they are in New York. Fans will be prohibited.

The shift of the location and date of the Cincinnati event has created a domino effect. The ATP and WTA have been in hiatus until at least the end of July. The tours were primed to potentially resume with the combined CitiOpen in Washington, D.C., but it was uncertain that either the tours, organizers of the event, or local health officials would green-light the restart.

The USTA's initiative would see the Citi Open postponed until Aug. 16, the original start date of the Cincinnati event. While the Rogers Cup for women has long been canceled, the men's event, scheduled to start in Toronto on Aug. 10, would also go unplayed.

In order to accommodate the transplanted Cincinnati event, the Winston-Salem Open, which was scheduled to take place the week before the US Open, will be canceled.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts