Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoting Marca, French Sports Newspaper L'Equipe said players are asked to attend a Web Meeting on 6/10 3 P.M. GMT, when ATP announces what is planned from next 7/31.

Official public announcement will follow on 6/15, and another Web Meeting for coaches is planned on 6/18.

Some pessimistic people can imagine both Web Meetings are to announce a special welfare plan, but two Web Meetings smell rather like an anouncement about 2020 Season to resume.

Reprise de la saison : une décision sera prise le 10 juin - Tennis - ATP

·
Your visions will happen
47,298 Posts
Let us hope we can still salvage a season with 2 more slams

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
2 asterisked slams? No thanks.

I will be more than happy if only second tier tournaments like Cincy, Rome, Bercy do take place.

The idea of a slam taking place in half empty stadiums with out of competition players doesn't sit well with me.
Sits fine with me. Sits like a beautiful leather sofa with ass massage built in

·
|
14,493 Posts

I will be more than happy if only second tier tournaments like Cincy, Rome, Bercy do take place.

The idea of a slam taking place in half empty stadiums with out of competition players doesn't sit well with me.
Asterisks don't exist in tennis, otherwise we would have discounted the winners of some of the US Opens in the 1970s when they played best-of-3-sets in early rounds....
And tennis is better without spectators, because the stars have to work harder, because the crowd isn't there to help them psyche-out opponents.
Also, the server won't have to wait for the crowd to stop moving or noising.

·
Registered
701 Posts

The 20 has to fall. We have to take these slams in order to guarantee that as fast as possible. Djodal are clearly better but they have to get the number.

·
Registered
283 Posts
"otherwise we would have discounted the winners of some of the US Opens in the 1970s when they played best-of-3-sets in early rounds.... "

It was the same for Australian and French Open; but it was the same rule for all players.
Only Wimbledon remained in bo5.

Or else we must also discount all the winners since .. the introduction of the tie break .. 32 seed in GS etc and bye for seed in MS etc etc etc

·
|
14,493 Posts
"otherwise we would have discounted the winners of some of the US Opens in the 1970s when they played best-of-3-sets in early rounds.... "

It was the same for Australian and French Open; but it was the same rule for all players.
Only Wimbledon remained in bo5.

Or else we must also discount all the winners since .. the introduction of the tie break .. 32 seed in GS etc and bye for seed in MS etc etc etc
Exactly.
No such thing as an asterisk in tennis.
I can't think of anything that took place in past years that has an asterisk.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
They should've had Wimbledon minus the fans, ah well!!
The least they could have done is wait little longer but when the likelihood of banning fans & insurance payout was dangling in their faces, they caved akin to premature ejaculation (excuse all the innuendos here). I would even have no problem staging a sort of Grass semi GS in Halle, DE where it seems a lot less risky where resumption of Bundesliga already in progress.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

I don't see why they would be asterisked slams. If anything, and of course if every player can take part, the conditions will be the same for everyone and more neutral than usual, the opposite of an asterisk.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It sounds like 2020 season will resume at some point. The big issue will be the North American August tour. It seems like ESPN and USTA want to keep the US Open in Nyc end of August and even organize the Cincinnati Masters in Flushing Meadow as well. Depending of what will happen with this North American tour, they can start to plan the clay court season. At this point, RG will go ahead, and if the US open takes place, there will be only 2 weeks between both events, but Rome and Madrid want to reschedule their event (as some other clay events). IF the whole North American tour is cancelled or reported to November (with an US Open in IW or Orlando and maybe a Master1000 in Miami), it will be easier to reschedule the European clay court season which could start before the end of August.

·
Your visions will happen
47,298 Posts
It sounds like 2020 season will resume at some point. The big issue will be the North American August tour. It seems like ESPN and USTA want to keep the US Open in Nyc end of August and even organize the Cincinnati Masters in Flushing Meadow as well. Depending of what will happen with this North American tour, they can start to plan the clay court season. At this point, RG will go ahead, and if the US open takes place, there will be only 2 weeks between both events, but Rome and Madrid want to reschedule their event (as some other clay events). IF the whole North American tour is cancelled or reported to November (with an US Open in IW or Orlando and maybe a Master1000 in Miami), it will be easier to reschedule the European clay court season which could start before the end of August.
I think it is wise to have clay now then us hc in the fall

USTA is concerned about competing with NFL football for ratings however

·
Premium Member
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well considering everybody is wondering about 2021 (Tokyo is even wondering about new rules for the Olympics in October like athletes lockdown except when competing) because they think no vaccine will be available and displayed by then.... Maybe those 2 Fedtards asterisked Slams could be the only ones played until 2022.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I would even have no issues w/ staging a Grass tourn. or two anywhere so as to transition from Clay to Grass followed by HC as normally done, even if it means delaying USO & then moving AO up a month or so. This is in order to keep the season as consistently in rhythm as possible.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would even have no issues w/ staging a Grass tourn. or two anywhere so as to transition from Clay to Grass followed by HC as normally done, even if it means delaying USO & then moving AO up a month or so. This is in order to keep the season as consistently in rhythm as possible.
As much as I like grass, It won't be possible to have some grass tournaments in October, it will be way too humid. Grass season can only be played in hot conditions, so from May until early September in the Northern Hemisphere. So we can forget about grass in 2020.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I want to see tennis as well, but based on the press conference of the Dutch prime minister this week about going on vacation I still don't see global events happening. He said it's not recommended to travel between continents and that some countries (e.g. Spain, China, Japan, Russia) are dealing with new infections after easing lockdown measures. Sweden's chief epidemiologist stated too many people have died, because of Sweden's 'nonchalant' approach of dealing with corona. Not to mention what Brazil has to deal with at this moment and the way third world countries are going to deal with corona...

As long as there is no vaccine, we should remind ourselves corona is still part of the world.

·
|
14,493 Posts
^Coronavirus isn't the top priority for most people. Earning money to put bread on the table is the top priority.
So just because a politician says travel is not recommended, it doesn't mean anything.
Most people don't trust or believe politicians, by the way.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts