Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Halle is getting crazy. I have been there three times. If any tournament has the audience, infrastructure and facilities to host grass Masters 1000 it is Halle. It would be awsome! It would fit like a hand in a glove right before Wimbledon.
Stuttgart250 Queens 500, Halle1000, Wimbledon.

·
Registered
21,451 Posts
Sadly the stadium looks whack, and surface is really plain grass.

Never any memorable matches or rallies in Halle. Ever. Can anyone recall 1 rally from Halle?

Just a botting exho.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sadly the stadium looks whack, and surface is really plain grass.

Never any memorable matches or rallies in Halle. Ever. Can anyone recall 1 rally from Halle?

Just a botting exho.
Well, i’ve had plenty of memorable matches. Great tennis played there. One of them was a high intensity match with Coric beating Zverev. Great audience and wonderful atmosphere.
Another funny one was the football between Tsonga and Paire.
Just to mwntion a few.
And the stadium is really nice in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,451 Posts
Well, i’ve had plenty of memorable matches. Great tennis played there. One of them was a high intensity match with Coric beating Zverev. Great audience and wonderful atmosphere.
Just to mwntion a few.
its so dark inside the center court.. the grass is shoddy, the audience is a lame collection of 50+ year olds that just annoyingly clap really long before every point... not a town in which there is anything to do.

It plays nothing like Wimbledon, as strongstyle below alluded to.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Halle is getting crazy. I have been there three times. If any tournament has the audience, infrastructure and facilities to host grass Masters 1000 it is Halle. It would be awsome! It would fit like a hand in a glove right before Wimbledon.
Stuttgart250 Queens 500, Halle1000, Wimbledon.
Let's be real, if there is a masters 1000 for grass (there won't), it should be queens. It has the exact same conditions as Wimbledon, Halle plays very different.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
its so dark inside the center court.. the grass is shoddy, the audience is a lame collection of 50+ year olds that just annoyingly clap really long before every point... not a town in which there is anything to do.
Those Halle facilities are great. Also all the catering and events around the stadium during tournament week. The only downside is, that it's in the middle of nowhere (close to Münster/Bielefeld)
Overall it's not as bad as you are indicating.. + ticket prices are affordable.

What about Queens? The "Centre Court" is not worthy of an ATP 500 tournament, lots of old club members who are hanging out there too. And they don't have a roof, thus play is suspended a lot.

·
Registered
11,151 Posts
I would love a grass Masters, but there's no way a tournament as historical and prestigious as Queen's should be cucked by the ATP gifting M1000 status to Halle. It would massively disincentivise top players from competing at Queen's if it were held in the same week as a M1000. It would be forced to move to a different week, either making it too close to Wimbledon or too far from it. Either eventuality would also discourage major Wimbledon contenders from entering the field.

If the argument is for a longer grass season to accommodate both, then of course that is a good idea, if it is physically possible given the limited timespan for grass.

·
Registered
Aslan
44 Posts
Halle has the great stadium and events. Best engineered stadium roof by far, closes in 88 seconds, ready to play like with set changeover. Grass is old school, fast, low bounces, the way grass play was meant to be. Great players learn to adapt to different conditions. Do people want everything homogenizated and to play like mostly slow high bouncing hard or clay courts? No way. Halle has my vote for upgrade to grass Masters. There are fewer distractions for players with quiet surroundings.

People at this MTF site need to be more positive instead of bashing everything and everyone. Glad to see the Greek getting WC. Go Aslan!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Halle has the great stadium and events. Best engineered stadium roof by far, closes in 88 seconds, ready to play like with set changeover. Grass is old school, fast, low bounces, the way grass play was meant to be. Great players learn to adapt to different conditions. Do people want everything homogenizated and to play like mostly slow high bouncing hard or clay courts? No way. Halle has my vote for upgrade to grass Masters. There are fewer distractions for players with quiet surroundings.

People at this MTF site need to be more positive instead of bashing everything and everyone. Glad to see the Greek getting WC. Go Aslan!
And also, Halle has already the centre court ready for a masters. They have lots of surroundings space to expand with a few more courts. As other people have mentioned the catering, hotel, general facilities is top nutch ordnung muss sein.
All they would need is a bigger Court 1.
I have never been there but it is my impression that Queens need a bit more of work.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And also, Halle has already the centre court ready for a masters. They have lots of surroundings space to expand with a few more courts. As other people have mentioned the catering, hotel, general facilities is top nutch ordnung muss sein.
I have never been there but it is my impression that Queens need a bit more of work.
Halle has huge Court 1 for 4500 spectators...more than enough

edit: There is a even better picture! OWL ARENA

·
Registered
Aslan
44 Posts
Yes, and most important, Queens has no room for expansion. It would need to move to a different location.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
14,105 Posts
Just to mwntion a few.
Hewitt over Fed too 💚

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
14,105 Posts
I'm probably biased but I'd go with Queens over Halle if they ever had a grass masters. Either way it's a disgrace that there's 0 Masters tournaments on grass while there's 3 on clay.
Nah i agree. Nicer setting in my opinion. More classical and unique

1 - 20 of 48 Posts