Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which was a better match, 2018 WB SF Djokovic - Nadal, or 2019 WB F, Djokovic - Federer

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WB SF 2018 between Rafa and Djoko was a huge match that marked the beginning of Djokovic's resurgence after a bad period during which he won no slams. Was one of the best matches I've ever seen and pretty underestimated. Rafa had a chance to take that one but got tight in the 3rd set TB and it turned out to be a decisive moment despite the fact Rafa went on to win the 4th set.

2019 F already has a status of a classic, yet I don't think that match ranks among one of the best slam finals in terms of quality. Djoko looked subpar for the most part of that match and Federer had some fantastic moments that were overshadowed by his choking.

Which math do you think was better? I'd say the 2018 SF.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Quality-wise 2018 SF was definitely better, 2019 F was pretty underwhelming in large parts and Djokovic was down a double break in both sets 2 and 4 IIRC which lowers the intensity. 2019 F had slightly more drama but I don't think it compensates, the only thing against 2018 SF was that the match was split into half and broke the viewing experience by a bit.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,153 Posts
2018 SF was better in terms of shotmaking and passing shots, 2019 F was better in terms of drama and choking.

I really can't decide, both are somehow remarkable in terms of how Djokovic came from being almost beaten to pulling it off by clutching it out.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,153 Posts
Lots of posters were suggesting Djoko was not good/bad at 2018 SF which is ludicrous. His level and intensity were definitively higher than in 2019 F.
If based only on this, how evenly matched both players were, then definitely 2018 SF was a better match.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
for level of play, Novak vs Rafa 2018, for the importance in tennis history Roger vs Novak 2019

Reactions: xdrewitdajx

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Novak was physically weaker still gaining form from surgical procedure & had almost no use of his BHDL shots making it seem more competitive in 2018 but in 2019 it could b pinned down to a mentally frazzled Novak not fully focused due to allowing the hostile crowds to get to him.
Have no doubt that if a non fatigued in form Novak meets Nadal again, it goes to a max. 4 sets for him. As for Fed, have to see more of his present state on Grass to make any evaluation.

·
Super Moderator
22,749 Posts
2018 was a high quality match from start to finish

2019 was pretty average overall, the 5th set saved the match if anything and it was quite clearly far more dramatic, probably the most dramatic match I’ve watched.

but 2018 is far better really.

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
Lots of posters were suggesting Djoko was not good/bad at 2018 SF which is ludicrous. His level and intensity were definitively higher than in 2019 F.
I agree. He was playing well (and better than 2109) and from the beginning of the first set he even looked clearly better than Nadal.

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
for level of play, Novak vs Rafa 2018, for the importance in tennis history Roger vs Novak 2019
Both matches are the reason why Djokovic came back and still is in the informal GOAT debate.

Wimbledon 2018 was extremely crucial for him his career and legacy. He maybe would be gone without that Wimbledon title

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
2018 was a high quality match from start to finish

2019 was pretty average overall, the 5th set saved the match if anything and it was quite clearly far more dramatic, probably the most dramatic match I’ve watched.

but 2018 is far better really.
Federer was not average in 2019. For most part of the matches he was excellent and flawless. Played inspiring tennis. Thats why he was the winner by numbers stats, shots and game play.
It was only above average thanks to Djokovic being absent and flat for most part of the match and both the choking and mistakes.

I agree. I dont remember such drama in other matches. 2014 final was also drama towards the end but not comparable to this insanity.

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,153 Posts
Both matches are the reason why Djokovic came back and still is in the informal GOAT debate.

Wimbledon 2018 was extremely crucial for him his career and legacy. He maybe would be gone without that Wimbledon title
No, he takes 2018 USO and 2019 AO nonetheless, but Nadal would have 1 slam more.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.