Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been a wild ride for a Stan supporter like me. After a very good 2013 breakthrough, showing that he could be a solid Top 10 player, he had now shown that he could be more than that and has won 3 out of the 5 tournaments he has joined, and currently only has lost 3 matches. That said those losses put doubts on Stan's form after AO but has shown consistency again during the last part of DC. Now, he's a Masters Champion, only one of the few non-Big Four players to win it during their time (although some sources say the we are in the post-Big Four era).

Here are some interesting trivia about Stan's 2014 season:

• He has now won 3 titles. Before 2014, he has only won 4, 1 of which is during his breakthrough in 2013. The only classification he is missing is a 500 Title.
  • On the two biggest titles he have won, he received a walkover in the 3rd Round.
  • He now has a win over each of the Big Three this year, even though he has virtually no wins over them.
  • He now has a 6-0 record against Top 10 (unique players, too), 3-0 in Finals, and has never lost when he won the 1st Set.
  • He now has made many bagels on his tournaments although some of his tough losses end with a breadstick -- kind of "stabilized" in DC by losing in a TB.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Biggest difference is his new mental strength. Really fighting for every game in a way he didn't do before. That's why he dishes out more bagels and breadsticks these days. It's so easy for a talented offensive player to zone out and quit on a return game thinking the set is safe anyway, then pay for it later when a bad UE/DF or whatever means the opponent can break.

Soderling was exactly the same until his breakthrough when he also got Norman as trainer. It's so important if your game borders on so called "ballbashing" to keep 100% focus. Wawrinka will no doubt still lose matches every now and then like 1-6, 2-6 but the thing is he won't throw away many of those matches where he's on fire himself, no matter who he plays.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biggest difference is his new mental strength. Really fighting for every game in a way he didn't do before. That's why he dishes out more bagels and breadsticks these days. It's so easy for a talented offensive player to zone out and quit on a return game thinking the set is safe anyway, then pay for it later when a bad UE/DF or whatever means the opponent can break.

Soderling was exactly the same until his breakthrough when he also got Norman as trainer. It's so important if your game borders on so called "ballbashing" to keep 100% focus. Wawrinka will no doubt still lose matches every now and then like 1-6, 2-6 but the thing is he won't throw away many of those matches where he's on fire himself, no matter who he plays.
I do notice in this year Stan is more persistent in getting as much balls as possible and really running for them. Those seemingly shield returns that seemed to be for nothing, have been effective 1 of 20+ times actually and he usually could get the point. I agree has been quite focused when he's on especially in the last TB where he didn't surrender that one minibreak.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
It has been a wild ride for a Stan supporter like me. After a very good 2013 breakthrough, showing that he could be a solid Top 10 player, he had now shown that he could be more than that and has won 3 out of the 5 tournaments he has joined, and currently only has lost 3 matches. That said those losses put doubts on Stan's form after AO but has shown consistency again during the last part of DC. Now, he's a Masters Champion, only one of the few non-Big Four players to win it during their time (although some sources say the we are in the post-Big Four era).

• He has now won 3 titles. Before 2014, he has only won 4, 1 of which is during his breakthrough in 2013. The only classification he is missing is a 500 Title.
  • On the two biggest titles he have won, he received a walkover in the 3rd Round.
  • He now has a win over each of the Big Three this year, even though he has virtually no wins over them.
  • He now has a 6-0 record against Top 10 (unique players, too), 3-0 in Finals, and has never lost when he won the 1st Set.
  • He now has made many bagels on his tournaments although some of his tough losses end with a breadstick -- kind of "stabilized" in DC by losing in a TB.
Thanks for those stats and words.
He is the best player in 2014, leading in race with 500 points more than the 2nd best player :)

His 2014 season is even for fans like us (and believers in his quality tennis) a bit surprising.
He plays so well: 6-0 against Top 10 is really out-of-this-world.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
His talent was never questionable only about mentality and forehand.

He's mentally tough though some bad losses this year but still he's tough against top tens.

His forehand rates in current best and one of the ruthless weapon in history with tremendous control and power.

His backhand is even better than most of the 2 handers on tour.

His footwork is sublime, great defence techniques and net touch surely better than any other member of Big 4 except Fed I.e. Nadal and. Djokovic.

What extra he needs now to be no 1

·
Registered
293 Posts
the discussion for no 1 is still early to have. RG will give us an indication of who is going to be no 1 by the fall. If wawrinka wins it then offcourse he will be the biggest favorite to get that elusive no 1. but if nadal, djoko gets it then it is going to be difficult for wawrinka to keep up with nadal and djoko as they are most consistent than him. However, this year is giving us nothing in terms of predicting anything so lets see who is going to shine in may and june.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
AHe has now won 3 titles.
And in all those tournaments an opponent retired, gave wo or both.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
And in all those tournaments an opponent retired, gave wo or both.
Gasquet tard in ruins because a one handed backhand guy no one expected to do much has done so much in his career than the "future of Tennis, talented French one handed backhand guy". It's okay Gasquet can hit lines but it's not on court with his backhand.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Gasquet tard in ruins because a one handed backhand guy no one expected to do much has done so much in his career than the "future of Tennis, talented French one handed backhand guy". It's okay Gasquet can hit lines but it's not on court with his backhand.
The walkovers and retirements are facts, you only come up with insults.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
he is 6-0 against Top 10 players this year.
That does not necessarily mean that he would win against everyone, he was still able to lose to Golubev in DC. Plus, it certainly saved energy having played only 5 matches and a set in Melbourne.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
That does not necessarily mean that he would win against everyone, he was still able to lose to Golubev in DC. Plus, it certainly saved energy having played only 5 matches and a set in Melbourne.
I can say you Wawrinka is the luckiest man on tour, At AO he played 5 matches,MC four matches with Cilic who could not hit the ball,Raonic was a bit better,Ferrer who was tired,Federer was the same, Last year he lost to Tsonga in two sets, So i am not sure he will always have this luck. I would like to see him when he is really challenge in full , He lost to Anderson,Golubev when he was not tired.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
I can say you Wawrinka is the luckiest man on tour, At AO he played 5 matches,MC four matches with Cilic who could not hit the ball,Raonic was a bit better,Ferrer who was tired,Federer was the same, Last year he lost to Tsonga in two sets, So i am not sure he will always have this luck. I would like to see him when he is really challenge in full , He lost to Anderson,Golubev when he was not tired.
Lapdog was so lucky to face his Master in a MS1000 final

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Im sure he was terrified of cilic.:eek:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Which of the opponents that retired/gave WO would have beaten him? Bear in mind he is 6-0 against Top 10 players this year.
Oh come on. That walkover against Almagro was pure luck on Stan's part. Without it, I'm sure we would be crossing out another M1000 for Federer. Keep in mind that Almagro has a 16-58 win rate against the top 10, and a 0-2 win rate this year against the same. That gives him statistically a 27% chance that Almagro could beat Wawrinka, especially given that he has a 3-6 H2H against Stan, and 0-2 from 2013-onwards. The audacity to say that Almagro wouldn't have made a difference is just astounding, once all these facts are put forth :rolleyes:

:p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts