Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Lugano Challenger on clay, that's where Stan was preparing .. Wimbledon in those years. :)

In 2009, after Lugano, he played on Centre Court, the 1st edition under the roof against Murray, a big match which ended in a "night session ".

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of top-20 players using Challengers as practice and possibly taking away opportunities for players who NEED those Challengers but I can understand it under the circumstances (I still don't like it though).
Stanislas Wawrinka doesn't care if you don't like it. What do you suggest he does as an alternative?

·
Banned
930 Posts
The only reason why Wawrinka does no play the U.S. because he sees a higher chance of winning RG again. Clay suits him better than Laykold. His focus is right there on a fourth major title.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I said that I can understand it, lol. Calm down. Is this a discussion forum where people can voice an opinion or do we have to wonder if the player cares everytime we post something here? ;)
I was curious as to what your alternative suggestion is, that's why I asked.

Still waiting.

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
The only reason why Wawrinka does no play the U.S. because he sees a higher chance of winning RG again. Clay suits him better than Laykold. His focus is right there on a fourth major title.
That's right. I think at his age (35) it's reasonable to choose to play one slam instead of two when there's only a few weeks between them. Also, I don't think he has a realistic chance to win it but a SF run is certainly feasible.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Personally I'm not a fan of top-20 players using Challengers as practice and possibly taking away opportunities for players who NEED those Challengers but I can understand it under the circumstances (I still don't like it though).
On the other hand, the fact that he plays the challengers instead of the US open frees up a space for a challenger player there.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Throw away an opportunity to play against top blokes at Cincy & USO, improve his tennis skill set, and take home over 3 million dollars
vs.
Play challengers against nobodies with lower tennis skills and take home some change.

Is it not due to virus and health reasons?

·
Banned
930 Posts
Throw away an opportunity to play against top blokes at Cincy & USO, improve his tennis skill set, and take home over 3 million dollars
vs.
Play challengers against nobodies with lower tennis skills and take home some change.

Is it not due to virus and health reasons?
No, it is a tactical decision. He did not want to risk to be in quarantine afterwards.

Same with Nadal. We know he is a little child when it comes to being frightened of something but this is not the main reason why he did not chose to play. It is a tactical - wiser decision from his point of view. Also a plus for marketing and PR as a good caring human being. Selling a good image. Thats why they decided like that. Nadal has all the self-confidence to win at least two more major titles.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
As much as I like Stan, it is not really fair that a top 20 player registers to a challenger tournaments because he does not want to take the risk to travel. If many players of the top 100 refuse to travel to the US and would now play the challengers in Europe in the second part of August, that would be disgusting towards the players that are over the top 150 and who really need to start to play again as they need to earn a bit of money.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Never heard this before unless you’re claiming Decoturf resembles Clay conditions more than Laykold which is very likely but we’ll soon see just how much USO went for change hopefully during the Masters tourn.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Great contribution, as usual. Murray Minge, lingering around Burrow's massive bellend since 2012.
This is news to me (re: both my behaviour and the nature of the bellend). Although, let's be honest, you do post a lot about Stanislas Wawrinka's balls. If there's any lingering, I don't think I'm the guilty one.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
As much as I like Stan, it is not really fair that a top 20 player registers to a challenger tournaments because he does not want to take the risk to travel. If many players of the top 100 refuse to travel to the US and would now play the challengers in Europe in the second part of August, that would be disgusting towards the players that are over the top 150 and who really need to start to play again as they need to earn a bit of money.
If it's through WC he hasn't 'registered' (as in entered) to it.
Also, do you realise players over top 150's still enter slams therefore he is practically freeing space for possibly higher payouts to those players?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts