Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
24,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe just a creepy coincidence, but since Stan has won AO, he has only won 1 Round of 16 match in the Masters tourneys (Cinci 2014). He received a walkover during the only other time he got past that since his win which was his Monte Carlo 2014 run. After that he has a horrible record on past Round of 16's with 3 Round of 32's (Madrid and Shanghai 2014, Miami 2015) and 1 Round of 64 (IW 2015). The interesting part though is he had at least QF in 6 of the 8 past Slams he played (Wimbledon 2013 and RG 2014 are the only exceptions, both Round of 128 losses). Why do you think at Masters at least he stops at that Round lately (he had at least made 4 QFs in 2013, 2 each in 2011 and 2012) rather than say QF where there are tougher players that are around his level? Do you think he has a fear of that round and can't be consistent and gets tight? Or do you just think that's the round where more clutch players just show up?

·
24,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^Expected answer from you. :p Seriously though, I think there were many instances (around 3 or so) which he had the lead or momentum but was not able to maintain (on top of my head the Rome match against Haas Rome 2013, Anderson Paris 2014, and now the latest against Dimitrov) and was bossing them around. But for some reason he is able to maintain focus most of the time on Slams (even though it's quite harder to do on paper). It won't surprise me if he had an early exit in Rome but in a deep run in RG.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
He's the new Murray of circa 2012-2013. Peaking in slams and mugging in m1000 tournaments :lol:.

·
24,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's the new Murray of circa 2012-2013. Peaking in slams and mugging in m1000 tournaments :lol:.
Murray right now at least has a Slam Final now. Also have to say quite consistent on Masters. 2014 even in a sub-par form was able to get QFs across the board with only one blip in Madrid last year I think with a Round of 16, correct me if I'm wrong. It's just kind of frustrating because I have this weird feeling he could have a good chance against this Nadal (Nadal doesn't seem to have that potent power consistent on FH now so maybe it may not bother Stan that much) and without Fed he could really get to the Final here and maybe even win.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Wawrinka's results at M1000 revolved around 2nd or 3rd rounds, with one or two deeper runs during one year. 2013 is an exception here - he had 3 QFs and final.

Only one difference between his pre GL title and post GS title is fact that he finally won a title - Monte Carlo crown.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Saying it first before the Rome draw is out Wawrinka will be with Divatrov in the same section. Pretty NID.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts