Registered
16,835 Posts
Wawrinka 6-2, 6-1, 6-1

no other result is acceptable
only Fedtards would claim otherwise

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Federer had A LOT more at stake. He could've easily squandered it to nerves. A bit like Novak did.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Neither. Both had the hand of destiny on their own particular run. I am happy that they were the right men to win the respective titles that they did.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I think they were both great in different ways.

If you make me pick one, I'd say Stan, because he came through the #1 and #2 seeds, including somebody who had been having one of the greatest seasons ever to this point. Fed only faced 1 top 10 player, and nobody in the top 4.

That said, though, both wins were fantastic.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Federer withstood peak Del Potro in an epic 5 setter, who was hitting as heavy as Wawrinka did today. Additonally, Roger, opposed to Djokovic, is a nightmare matchup for Wawrinka and puzzles him with his own variety.

Roger would have won in 4, because Stan would simply give up mentally and implode after a while.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Are you asking which was a more impressive title run, or who would win if they played? If the latter then Federer because he could actually still hit a slice in 2009. If the former then Stan as he blitzed all his opponents whereas Federer had to clutch his way through.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Are you asking which was a more impressive title run, or who would win if they played? If the latter then Federer because he could actually still hit a slice in 2009. If the former then Stan as he blitzed all his opponents whereas Federer had to clutch his way through.
Yes this. Stan's title run is definitely more impressive. But in a straight match, Federer would beat Wawrinka. He still had reasonable movement and power in his FH and BH wing at that time and he'd have too much variety for Stan IMO. Wawrinka wouldn't be able to blitz through him like that like he did here in 2015....maybe a 5 setter though similar to the Del Potro Roger RG match 09.

Reactions: Shirogane

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Federer RG 2009 would beat this Stan in 5 sets. I'm willing to bet it will be exactly like the "rumble in the jungle" match against Del Potro SF. Outplayed and out-muscled most of the match but using his finesse and court craft to outlast his power-hitting foe.

Reactions: Shirogane

·
Registered
377 Posts
Del Potro has poor fitness, got tired and lost tons of power on his shots in the 4th and 5th sets, and that won Federer the match. Del Potro still should have won that 2nd set and won in straights anyway, similar to how Federer should have won that 2nd set and won their US Open encounter in straights. The wrong player won each match between them that year. Wawrinka does not have poor fitness. It would be a similar match except Wawrinka wouldnt get tired. 4 sets for Wawrinka.

Anyway who would win a hypothetical Federer vs Wawrinka encounter is meaningless. Wawrinka's overall tournament is far and away more impressive. Federer was only impressive in the final, and to some degree the semis. Much of the tournament he was garbage, and lucky to escape a few opponents. Wawrinka was great this whole French Open. Peak Djokovic is a much more imposing prospect in the final than shock finalist Soderling (yes even with Soderling beating Nadal), and his overall draw was tougher full of higher caliber opponents.

·
Registered
21,772 Posts
Spot on.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Federer couldn't deal with this version of Wawrinka. I'm not sure anyone could. It's just lucky for ALL OF THEM that Wawrinka wasn't playing like this since 2005. And doesn't have much consistency. Or he would have 25 slams by now. We'd be dealing with Wrinkatards instead of Fedtards.:eek:

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
People really underrate Peak Roger. He was really dominant on every surface in his prime. Obviously, the only one stopping him was Nadal. Federer used to be able to hit really deep and he rarely made a lot of errors. He would eat big hitters like Wawrinka and Del Potro easily.

That saying Stanimal would likely be troubled a lot by Fed due to his variety such as slicing, smart net rushing, deep strokes etc. Fed now has no groundstrokes whatsoever and no stamina, so he will lose more easily.

So 2009 Roger in 5. I think he would have come out on top.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts