Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wawrinka:"M.Norman refused so many good players. Murray not the player he used to be"

Stan Wawrinka looks down at Samuel Beckett’s words, tattooed in blue ink on the inside of his left arm, and traces the ornate curves of each letter. Beckett’s plain words, in contrast, are a typically stark reflection of pain and hope.
“I only did the tattoo last year,” Wawrinka says, “but I first saw the quote a long time ago. It always stayed in my mind. It’s how I see life and tennis. The meaning of the quote doesn’t change no matter how well you do. There is always disappointment, heartache. You are losing almost every tournament. You need to just accept it and be positive because you are going to lose and fail. We’re not all Nadal or Djokovic, who can win most tournaments.”

Wawrinka’s upsurge was even more dramatic once he convinced Norman to coach him in May 2013. A week later he won his first ATP tournament in two years, in Portugal, and his rise continues.

“At this level small changes make a big difference,” he says. “I worked for more than one year to try to get Magnus to coach me. He refused so many good players but after one year he accepted the challenge and we are both really happy.

“I had seen what he did with [Robin] Soderling [the only player to have beaten Nadal at Roland Garros]. I also liked his career. He was world No2 [in June 2000], he made a grand slam final and he is a hard worker who knows the way to the top.”

Norman has suggested that he became Wawrinka’s coach because he was so impressed by the player’s warmth and humility. “I think so,” the Swiss says with a blush. “He refused so many players but our personalities complement each other. One of the first conversations I had with him I said: ‘You must tell me exactly what you think – not what I want to hear.’ So we have the same mentality. We keep working hard to improve.

“It’s still tough. I’ve heard other players say my win gives them hope they can also do it. But we cannot forget what the big four have done [in eight and a half years preceding Wawrinka’s breakthrough, 34 out of 35 grand slam titles were shared between Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray]. And they are still here – especially Rafa and Novak. They are still winning everything. Just because I won the Australian should not make us forget that they are really better tennis players than all of us.”

It seems typical that Wawrinka should make such an admission in regard to Nadal and Djokovic’s enduring superiority – and his candour counters suggestions that men’s tennis is on the verge of seismic change at its very peak. “Look what happened in Paris – Rafa and Novak in the final. There is more belief among other players but that belief doesn’t matter so much if the results don’t change.

“But maybe it’s a little bit different. Murray is not the player he used to be. Maybe he will come back. Roger is not the player he used to be. So you have two players at the top and the rest are closer together. For six years it was the same four guys in every semi-final. Incredible. Now you have more space and you can get to the semi-final but for the final Rafa and Novak are still there.”

That blunt assessment of Murray, the Wimbledon champion, needs to be read in a wider context. The Scot and the Swiss are friends and Wawrinka is emphatic that “Andy’s at another level if you compare our careers. For many years we see him make 14 grand slam semis [Wawrinka has played two]. That’s the reality. I’m not saying he’s playing better tennis than me now but for so many years he has been there. We shouldn’t compare me to him. He won one slam and it gave him the confidence to win another. Winning the first one is tough but afterwards everything changes.”

Wawrinka has since won the Monte Carlo Masters [beating Federer in the final but also lost in the first round of the French. “There have been big ups and downs. Andy will tell you the same. There is more attention, more media, more expectations. Everything is more. In some ways it feels like a new career. It’s a new chapter, a new page. I’m close to putting all the pieces together – but I’m not quite there yet.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/09/stan-wawrinka-queens-rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: Wawrinka:"M.Norman refused so many good players. Murray not the player he used to

Well, if it was one guy on tour who had to get a bit lucky in a slam final vs Nadal, I'd have picked him.

Super humble, beautiful shot maker and all around great guy.

I hope he has a successful run at one of the next 2 slams as well.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Re: Wawrinka:"M.Norman refused so many good players. Murray not the player he used to

Well, if it was one guy on tour who had to get a bit lucky in a slam final vs Nadal, I'd have picked him.

The name you are looking for is Ferrer. But this merely shows us how cruel life is in reality.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

Nothing to see here. Just another article about Wawrinka musing on his mentality and 'solving the puzzle', how things are different, how he can't be compared to certain players, etc. :zzz:

·
Registered
11,624 Posts

Really? The guy left his wife and kid so he could so he could spend more time on his tennis. That strikes me as the exact opposite of an "around great guy". :shrug:

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Those guys have no motivation . If you are enough fit and can play aggressive controlled tennis you can beat Nadal. I was surprised by Djokovic in final of FO who said how much he wants to win FO and where he went in second set after winning 1st. If he had won 2nd set maybe he could win the match. It is too match pressure to win GS after GS and IMO Federer is the only one who took so much pressure for a long time and has never missed a GS.

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

Well at least he's not a Gulbis. The guy has won a slam and doesn't think he's the shit. He is humble and realistic and honest. Kudos to him for that. When Nole is not playing I will support Stan, he's very likeable and has a beautiful game.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Wawrinka still looking for the true confidence he needs...

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Well at least he's not a Gulbis. The guy has won a slam and doesn't think he's the shit. He is humble and realistic and honest. Kudos to him for that. When Nole is not playing I will support Stan, he's very likeable and has a beautiful game.
You're right, he's not a Gulbis. Gulbis has the confidence to take on anybody. Stan is mentally weak. Why bother playing if you don't believe that you are better? I love players who have the confidence to know "If I play how I should play, he cannot beat me." This is how you get to the top; not saying "oh well those two guys are way better than me."

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

Wawrinka will win USO

·
Registered
2,326 Posts

Newsbot still on the run?

·
Registered
14,624 Posts

You're right, he's not a Gulbis. Gulbis has the confidence to take on anybody. Stan is mentally weak. Why bother playing if you don't believe that you are better? I love players who have the confidence to know "If I play how I should play, he cannot beat me." This is how you get to the top; not saying "oh well those two guys are way better than me."
Why if it's the plain truth? They know it and we know it. False bravado won't win you slams. :shrug:

·
Registered
13,800 Posts

Really? The guy left his wife and kid so he could so he could spend more time on his tennis. That strikes me as the exact opposite of an "around great guy". :shrug:
im pretty sure it wasnt an easy decision and that more went in to it that maybe we dont know about.

how dare you come on here and act like you truly understand this at all

anyway they have reconciled and are back together now

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

Says the Tomic fan...

·
Registered
21,232 Posts

Got lucky? Wawrinka would've straight setted Rafael Nadal without all of the latter's antics. :lol:

·
Registered
11,624 Posts

im pretty sure it wasnt an easy decision and that more went in to it that maybe we dont know about.

how dare you come on here and act like you truly understand this at all

anyway they have reconciled and are back together now
Yeah, how dare someone have an opinion on a man walking out on their child when another poster claimed he was such a great guy. :rolleyes:

It's great that they've reconciled but it doesn't change how selfish he was. Couples break up all the time but that doesn't mean fathers have to abandon their children like he did. He was a grown man in his mid-twenties, not a teenager who knocked a girl up. There's no excuse for leaving your child because you're not ready to be a father and want to concentrate on your tennis.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts

Yeah, how dare someone have an opinion on a man walking out on their child when another poster claimed he was such a great guy. :rolleyes:

It's great that they've reconciled but it doesn't change how selfish he was. Couples break up all the time but that doesn't mean fathers have to abandon their children like he did. He was a grown man in his mid-twenties, not a teenager who knocked a girl up. There's no excuse for leaving your child because you're not ready to be a father and want to concentrate on your tennis.
How dare someone invite underage girls to an apartment owned by a drug dealer, who they happen to be friends with. Great person to support. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
972 Posts

Got lucky? Wawrinka would've straight setted Rafael Nadal without all of the latter's antics. :lol:
How many times has Nadal been straight setted at slam finals again?

Peak Fed couldn't do it in his prime at Wimbledon.

Peak Djokovic couldn't do it on Hard Courts.

But Wawrinka would have done it on the basis of one top class set, the first he'd won against Nadal in 25 set attempts?

Your post sir, is a waste of cyberspace.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Great guy this Stan. :) I wish he does better at Wimbledon which is by far his worst slam.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts