Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After beating Federer for the Monte Carlo title, losses to

Thiem
Haas
GGL
Dimitrov

Ironic, given that some have been describing his backhand as the greatest one-handed of all time, or at least one of the greatest given today's modern game. He has a noticeable weakness against others.

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts
Wawrinka will be out of the top 150 by the end of October.

·
23,063 Posts
After beating Federer for the Monte Carlo title, losses to

Thiem
Haas
GGL
Dimitrov

Ironic, given that some have been describing his backhand as the greatest one-handed of all time, or at least one of the greatest given today's modern game. He has a noticeable weakness against others.
I dunno. Last year, I remembered him beating Dimitrov and GGL on Clay. I forgot if he faced Haas though (I think not). Makes the Federer victory a little sweeter (being a set down) and a little bit annoying that he can't do it against the other OHBHs...

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Some were even voting his BH as the 2nd best overall on another thread :spit:. Wonder if they still feel that way after watching Dimitrov dismantle it.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
He's like Djokovic in that he doesn't particularly enjoy off-rhythm shots. One-handers tend to vary the pace off their backhands more than two-handers because they generally have better slices (especially Haas and Dimitrov).

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Wawrinka doesn't have much variety in his backhand, itself a regular backhand is one of the best yes, but the variety is not there, it is much like a two-handed backhand, he just rips it most of the time. Those mentioned above varies there backhand more often than not.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
ClutchonAndWin is gonna lay the smack down on this WAYOFFTHEMARK thread.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
really random fact...but there are many random things on his season anyway...

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Wawrinka's BH is essentially a two hander, played with one hand.

He can drive it with an open stance and that's all the advantage he's got over the rest 1hbhs. But his slice, drop shot, volleys, anykind of variety is double hander level.

Still, its advantage is a considerable one, it does give him loads of advantage, anywhere but grass.

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wawrinka's BH is essentially a two hander, played with one hand.

He can drive it with an open stance and that's all the advantage he's got over the rest 1hbhs. But his slice, drop shot, volleys, anykind of variety is double hander level.

Still, its advantage is a considerable one, it does give him loads of advantage, anywhere but grass.
Good insight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts