Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Yup, he's now the "Tennis player formerly known as Stanislas". I wonder why the change, I mean what other top players have shortchanged their name for their nickname? I guess that he is getting more buzz I guess he prefers to be called the easier name now.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Yup, he's now the "Tennis player formerly known as Stanislas". I wonder why the change, I mean what other top players have shortchanged their name for their nickname? I guess that he is getting more buzz I guess he prefers to be called the easier name now.
Well, Stan is probably what he is called by everyone. He may never be called Stanislas so in that way Stan might not really be a nickname. Andy Murray shortened his official tour name early on from Andrew to Andy because Andrew was probably nothing more than what was down on his birth cert. Djokovic still very much goes by both Novak and Nole so Nole is more like a nickname than Andy. I reckon Wawrinka probably always went by Stan off court and in the locker room but probably didn't bother changing it until now when he's seeing his name being written and spoken about so much. The likes of Murray had that attention early on so changed it earlier, probably.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Well, Stan is probably what he is called by everyone. He may never be called Stanislas so in that way Stan might not really be a nickname. Andy Murray shortened his official tour name early on from Andrew to Andy because Andrew was probably nothing more than what was down on his birth cert. Djokovic still very much goes by both Novak and Nole so Nole is more like a nickname than Andy. I reckon Wawrinka probably always went by Stan off court and in the locker room but probably didn't bother changing it until now when he's seeing his name being written and spoken about so much. The likes of Murray had that attention early on so changed it earlier, probably.
I agree. I am not following tennis yet during the time where Andy was "the tennis player formerly known as Andrew" so I see there were times. I agree about why not at least for Rafael called as Rafa when I hear the latter a lot more than the former. The Nole and Novak names though seemed to be equally said by commmentators.

·
Registered
756 Posts
^ Just for the ATP and his tennis persona

And is not that uncommon. Besides Murray, other well-kwnown examples are Connors, Roddick and Haas :p

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
^ Just for the ATP and his tennis persona

And is not that uncommon. Besides Murray, other well-kwnown examples are Connors, Roddick and Haas :p
I think they always were though. Not sure about Connors because it's years ago but I'm pretty sure Roddick and Haas were always written as Andy and Tommy in draws and player lists.

·
Registered
756 Posts
But I guess they requested it, right? Though it sounds unlikely that the ATP would take requests from kids :p But maybe you are right and the ATP just went with it, though is still weird lol. It was an assumption, untill I read that Wawrinka asked for it I always wondered how the whole thing works.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts