Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this trifecta the oddest H2H ever among the top guys?

Since Madrid 2013, the following have the following streaks against the other:

Wawrinka has a 6-match winning streak against Berdych.
Berdych has a 6-match winning streak against Anderson (undefeated 12 times overall).
Anderson has a 4-match winning streak against Wawrinka.

It's kind of odd especially with Stan, especially some see Anderson as a "prototype Berdych", while it seems Stan had no problems with Berdych's game, while Berdych himself has no problems dispatching his "prototype" to the point that Anderson's wife is sick of facing him. :lol:

What do you think are the technical and mental reasons of these streaks each had?

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Anderson is a better mover than Berdych across the court given their relatively large sizes. That could be the reason.

·
23,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anderson is a better mover than Berdych across the court given their relatively large sizes. That could be the reason.
You sure? I feel that Berdych is generally the better mover. I could see he does seem to be more awkward when returning (Berdych, that is) though. Any comparison of the two's movement?

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
firstly Wawrinka is quite a inconsistant player so his level fluctuates, however he does appear to raise his game in big events

of his last 6 matches vs. Berdych Wawrinka has played in 5 times in slams (Aussie Open SF, US Open R16) World Tour Finals (two round robin matches) and the latter stages of masters (Madrid SF) with the other meeting being in the Rotterdam Final.

Anderson has only met him either at Queens, or 3 times last year at the early stages of Masters (r16) where perhaps Wawrinka isn't as focused?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very interesting. I think the answer for Stan is that Berdych plays with a bit more topspin, while Anderson hits flat. Stan prefers to attack high balls.
Between Berdych and Anderson it is probably because Berdych is better at the same things Anderson does well.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Mental and confidence are very important in this sport. People seems to forget it. With sometimes a better technique, movement, etc... a player will have a worse career than another less "talented" but with a better mental in the key moments, or with better tactics.

Anderson should've won at least 1 or 2 matchs against Berdych. It's now obvious that he doesn't know what to do against him and there is a mental issue in this match-up.
On the other hand, it's amazing how such a weak mental player like him won almost all his TBs against Wawrinka.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ugh, that annoying French (?) guy Rene posted this on Twitter. Such a tennis genius he is!!1!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I feel like I watched a different match from everyone and folks are exaggerating this "matchup" issue.
Anderson won entirely because he had a good serving day so lets not beat around the bush. 77% first serve in the first set with 126mph on average and 5 aces on second serves is OUTRAGEOUS!!!
The fact he couldnt break wawrinka despite his poor service performance is more telling of who hand the upper hand once we got a rally going.
Anderson served and volley a lot with success too which is easy given how good the serve was.
On a poor serving day he'd have had no chance!

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Anderson had a poor serving day when they met in Indian Wells last year, 8 double-faults. Still won though, even on one of the slowest hard courts around.

That's four Anderson wins in a row now. The losses before that were tight matches too, even when Anderson was outside the top100 it still took three sets.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Anderson had a poor serving day when they met in Indian Wells last year, 8 double-faults. Still won though, even on one of the slowest hard courts around.

That's four Anderson wins in a row now. The losses before that were tight matches too, even when Anderson was outside the top100 it still took three sets.
No need to make the assumption that wawrinka of last year is anywhere close to his current form. They're miles apart. He keeps improving. Even by wimbledon who know if he will have made improvements on the return and how aggressive he will be. You've just highlighted a huge improvement in Anderson's serve. Wwawrinka has improved since last year too.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I feel like I watched a different match from everyone and folks are exaggerating this "matchup" issue.
Anderson won entirely because he had a good serving day so lets not beat around the bush. 77% first serve in the first set with 126mph on average and 5 aces on second serves is OUTRAGEOUS!!!
The fact he couldnt break wawrinka despite his poor service performance is more telling of who hand the upper hand once we got a rally going.
Anderson served and volley a lot with success too which is easy given how good the serve was.
Stan has had from the 7 matches only 1 time better serve percentage, Kevin is just a bad matchup for him. He's almost as powerful as Stan and he can throw the same bombs as Stan throws at him, plus he was really confident, because he'd won 3 matches in a row, that's why the percentage. Combine it with Stan's poor return game and you know the result.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,599 Posts
Berd is very predictable with his play. Anderson has a bit more flexibility in the shots, and tends to have 'dangerous' hitting at times especially on the FH. Of course the interesting thing is Anderson manages NOT to choke against Stan (or Stan outchokes Anderson...) Anderson's serve is also better than Berdych's.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Stan has had from the 7 matches only 1 time better serve percentage, Kevin is just a bad matchup for him. He's almost as powerful as Stan and he can throw the same bombs as Stan throws at him, plus he was really confident, because he'd won 3 matches in a row, that's why the percentage. Combine it with Stan's poor return game and you know the result.
He's nowhere in rallies though. He's not as powerful as stan, he serves well end of. If he were as powerful as stan during exchanges he would have won slams so let's not get ahead of ourselves. He can't rally. He's predictable, commits too many mistakes and has poor ball control and is abysmal at the net. He missed a lot of easy volleys and if it was for stan's poor return, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

In fact, the problem was entirely stan's poor return. This is the wake up call he needs to finally stop chipping the ball in on first serve.
let's see how training goes before wimbledon.
However I am still not betting on him to win wimbledon (but then I am not a betting man).

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Berd is very predictable with his play. Anderson has a bit more flexibility in the shots, and tends to have 'dangerous' hitting at times especially on the FH. Of course the interesting thing is Anderson manages NOT to choke against Stan (or Stan outchokes Anderson...) Anderson's serve is also better than Berdych's.
For a player who has been performing woefully for year, one would think he's in the top 10 from your description.
Yesterday's match for a great serving performance and a poor return performance from Stan. Beyond those two "qualities", there is nothing of interest in Anderson's game.
He had a lot of trouble at the net whenever stan wasn't pulled out wide by the serve. He volleys poorly, has poor control of the ball, can't rally, and is predictable.
There's a reason he's never made the top 10

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,599 Posts
For a player who has been performing woefully for year, one would think he's in the top 10 from your description.
Yesterday's match for a great serving performance and a poor return performance from Stan. Beyond those two "qualities", there is nothing of interest in Anderson's game.
He had a lot of trouble at the net whenever stan wasn't pulled out wide by the serve. He volleys poorly, has poor control of the ball, can't rally, and is predictable.
There's a reason he's never made the top 10
I agree he has many holes in his game (and the mental side is found wanting more often than not) but Anderson can still be dangerous. Anderson does get by a lot on the serve. I remember his match against Nishikori on the fast court of Memphis indoors, basically every time Kei won two pts or more (i.e at least Kei got a 30 inroad) on an Anderson service game, he would be broken. That occurred just twice, but really shows how limited Anderson is as a player. The other time Anderson had the advantage of a break on Nishikori in the final set on Acapulco SF, he missed 2 routine FHs down 30-40 to get broken twice to lose the match. Similarly, he let Dimitrov off the hook last year on more than one occasion.

I personally find Anderson boring as a player but he gets by the top 20.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts