Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
amazing match from Stan the man, although had the first TB had gone to Bandy it might have gone differently

Bandy fell apart in the second

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Now who's "the Swiss that loses?" :lol:

·
Registered
10,605 Posts
Wawa played out of his mind. First set was very good, Nalbi was playing well also, then he fell apart.
Expected result, but unexpected strong performance by Stan "the swiss man who beats Nalbi" the man :hatoff:

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Stan :bigclap:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Wawrinka was excellent today and well done to him. He thoroughly deserved to beat David in straight sets. That return backhand winner down the line at 5-5 in the tiebreak was awesome, and so was his general performance from that moment onwards. His serving was faultless throughout.
It isn't a surprise that David lost today, considering Stan the man had won their 3 previous encounters (including at Vienna a couple of weeks ago and during their quarter-final at Basel in 2006), and David did play 6 matches (with some huge scares in the opening 2 rounds) at Madrid last week.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Great performance from Stan :yeah: Well deserved victory.

David had a SP in the first set, but couldn't take it. Stan has now won 4 times in a row against David.

Good luck for the rest of the tournament :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yuuuhuuu ... Wawri played amazing in the second set ... There were some shots:eek:

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
great performance from stan
well done

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The Man :)Great preformance!
But I saw that coming... Right after Madrid and against Stan...

David :hug:

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
i think the first serve and the amazina backhand esp . backhand DTL
was great

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
amazing match from Stan the man, although had the first TB had gone to Bandy it might have gone differently

Bandy fell apart in the second
He didn't actually fall apart... it's just that Wawa played one of his :eek: :eek: matches as he does occasionally - he was painting lines consistently with great pace and very little mistakes off of BOTH wings. You can't do much against that, but noone can do it ALL the time, day in, day out.

And, sorry to say, but your title gets it all wrong - he didn't show Roger HOW to do it, because Roger will never beat David THAT way. Wawrinka has that amazing 1H backhand that is rock-solid if he is in form, it's the shot that can't be broken down by constant pummelling, like Fed's can be (utilized by both Nadal and Nalbandian).

Hats of to Stan the man, David doesn't have much to regret, it's not that he choked the match away. Stan just couldn't miss a deep shot and was serving like a monster.

Did anyone notice how Wawrinka stands further back when receiving 2nd serves, than when receiving 1st ones? It actually makes sense for his playing style, amazingly enough.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
The difference between fed and waw is that waws drive backhand is actually pretty good and helps him stay in the rallies, and also hit great DTL shots.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
The difference between fed and waw is that waws drive backhand is actually pretty good and helps him stay in the rallies, and also hit great DTL shots.
Understatement. In Stuttgart final against Nadal he fearlessly engaged in his BH to Nadal's FH baseline exchanges, which to me seemed like a suicide but he proved to be more than able to keep up with him. How about that? His BH is just great, and somehow reminds me of Kohlschreiber's 1H BH. They can both hit them very strong with a lot of topspin and a great pace. Similarly, they are both capable of playing some really powerful and great-looking tennis one day, and then give a total crapfest the next day. Too bad.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Understatement. In Stuttgart final against Nadal he fearlessly engaged in his BH to Nadal's FH baseline exchanges, which to me seemed like a suicide but he proved to be more than able to keep up with him. How about that? His BH is just great, and somehow reminds me of Kohlschreiber's 1H BH. They can both hit them very strong with a lot of topspin and a great pace. Similarly, they are both capable of playing some really powerful and great-looking tennis one day, and then give a total crapfest the next day. Too bad.

Yes Yes he is a good backhand, quoting my statement to prove a point isn't going to make his backhand become godlike. His problem is shot selection, once he masters that, he should be quite a handful.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts