Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think AgassiFan, you should change your name, you should be ashamed to call yourself that...That man, Andre Agassi did not play for 20+ years and subjected himself to such pain and and sometimes humiliation just to choke in the end... Roger switched on when he needed to, he simply is too good for anybody to handle for almost two years now, if you think what andre did to fight well when evebody expected roger will have cakewalk to the title, then all 100+ players who played this granslam are all choker by your standard because they too never beaten roger..

stop this nonsense, if you don't like agassi, fine...

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
CoreyH75 said:
Andre did play miserably after losing that break in the third.
This was very noticeable to me. But, I think it might have been the case that he was too tired from the mental and physical exertion of the previous sets rather than a choke job. Also, he must have been deflated to have played so well in the first three sets only to be down two sets to one and to have been trounced in the TB.

I was surprised at myself for being angry at Roger for his sloppy play and for slicing BH return of serves to Andre's high second serves. Being the conspiracy nut that I am I thought about calling up The Lone Gunmen. ;)

As I reflect on all the Andre matches I've seen lo these many years, AgassiFan may have a point. While Andre was a fave of mine through the 80s and 90s I was never so attached to him that I got as angry as AgassiFan is now. I was blinded by the long hair and flashy image. He's moved on and so have I.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I can't be bothered to read this thread, but I come to the point to defend Agassi, then something is wrong.

The guy is 35, made a Slam final and what do I see, Agassi bashing threads? I thought he played a decent final anyway. Sure his level went down in third set, but he was playing against you know, Roger Federer.

You should celebrate Agassi accomplishment and have a bit of class.

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Paul Banks said:
I can't be bothered to read this thread, but I come to the point to defend Agassi, then something is wrong.

The guy is 35, made a Slam final and what do I see, Agassi bashing threads? I thought he played a decent final anyway. Sure his level went down in third set, but he was playing against you know, Roger Federer.

You should celebrate Agassi accomplishment and have a bit of class.
you kidding? you'll be lucky to get that with some of these 'experts'
this is why i have been saying for ages now...

mandatory IQ tests for everyone before they can post here!!

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
This has got to be the stupidest thread in this forum's history and that is saying something. Agassi played out of his mind to win taht 2nd set. Fed was serving at 76% the entire match. I don't think he has ever done that. He was seeing the ball so well during the match. I don't think anyone would've taken a set from him today but AGassi returned remarkably well to win set #2. There was no choking involved in this match. The best player in the world won but was given a battle for 3 very, very, very well played sets.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
NYCtennisfan said:
.There was no choking involved in this match
Except for the 7th game of the third, and of course the first 4 (decisive) points of the TB.

Hey, maybe Blake didn't choke against Agassi.

In fact, noone ever 'chokes'.

You've got me convinced. :rolleyes: :D

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Federer played better than Agassi in that game and that is why he won that game. Just like Agassi played better in the games that he broke Fed in the 2nd set. Fed served a good game when he got broken for the first time by AGassi in the 2nd. 99% of the time he wins that game but Agassi returned like the best returned in the world.

Fed was getting close to breaking in every game up to the point of the break in the third at 2-4. It was bound to happen.

The better player won but by no means did Agassi choke. He played a hell of a match to play Fed to a standstill after 3 sets. Both players' levels were incredible.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
federer express said:

mandatory IQ tests for everyone before they can post here!!
If that were the case you'd be the first one out for being the first to post in threads you hate.
BTW, please bold the next time. I didn't understand what you were trying to say in plain text :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
NYCtennisfan said:
Federer played better than Agassi in that game and that is why he won that game. Just like Agassi played better in the games that he broke Fed in the 2nd set. Fed served a good game when he got broken for the first time by AGassi in the 2nd. 99% of the time he wins that game but Agassi returned like the best returned in the world.

Fed was getting close to breaking in every game up to the point of the break in the third at 2-4. It was bound to happen.

The better player won but by no means did Agassi choke. He played a hell of a match to play Fed to a standstill after 3 sets. Both players' levels were incredible.
Lucky you to be at the final. Did you get a (reasonably) good seat? I don't like AA stadium.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Lucky you to be at the final. Did you get a (reasonably) good seat? I don't like AA stadium.
I love the Open and I consider myself lucky to go every year. Pretty good seats too:) The men's final fills the stands earlier than the other days but today's match filled Ashe quicker than usual. There was a buzz in the air that only a men's final can bring about.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Alright Andre. Let's get you some industrial-strenght throat inflammatories, and you're good to go for Aussie O.

ALLEZ!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
If you're going to use the "choking" argument, then you could say Federer "choked" away the second set. What happened? Federer got broken in the second set on a 40-15 service game. Federer had 5 break points to get back in the set and blew them all on errors, I don't think Agassi hit one winner to save a BP. And once Federer didn't capitalize on all those break points, he was deflated and got broken again in his last service game of the set.

WAY TO CHOKE, ROGER. GOD.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,503 Posts
Wow! I am going to defend the player that walks like a constipated duck. It's interesting how someone could choke when they saved over 10 break points in the match and for 2 sets played at a very good level, yes he got done by a better player and Federer stepped up when he needed to, actually maybe I should be so pissed off that Federer didn't bagel him in the 4th set, now that was a choke (yes, I am joking).

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
deliveryman said:
.If you're going to use the "choking" argument, then you could say Federer "choked" away the second set
a) Fed wasn't leading 2-0, 30-0 in the second set, was he?

b) You're still not even close to getting the point. Federer could "choke" all he wants - because he creates too many breaks for himself, so it's no biggie if he wastes a few. At 4-2, 30-0, Agassi knew he had to come through with a couple of crisp 1st serves and put away groundies that he was making just a few minutes ago with no problem. 5-2, the set is probably wrapped up. 2-1 lead. Real chance to get into Fed's head - remember, all year long Roger has hardly been pushed like this.... Fed can also "choke" all he wants because he is 24 and he hasn't had a history of laying down on big points against another great player like Andre has against Pete in Slams. So their two situations aren't comparable at all.

If Fed had played his 'A' tennis today, then there would be no complaints since noone can beat him (just as when Pete was serving like he did in the 1999 Wimbledon Final, noone could have touched him). But Roger didn't look all that good today on his groundstrokes, and because of that Andre had much better chances to win the match than he had any right to expect coming in. Basically the same as their match at 2004 USO, where Andre was also given a match on the silver platter but predicatably still came up short on the bigger points, in the 3rd set especially.... So this is choking from Andre even when things go his way, is nothing new.

·
Registered
932 Posts
a) Fed wasn't leading 2-0, 30-0 in the second set, was he?

Federer could "choke" all he wants - because he creates too many breaks for himself, so it's no biggie if he wastes a few.
So if he creates so many breaks for himself, then how could you say that Andre "choked" away the set? With what you said, isn't it more of the case of "Andre giving in to the inevitable?" Especially after the 293482093482094820934 break points that Andre saved, the break was going to happen sooner or later.

It's not a case of Andre "choking" it's more of a case of Andre not serving as well as he needed to... which was the case throughout the ENTIRE match, just not in the third set. Andre was getting lucky with those break points saved all match, by Federer errors, and finally it caught up with him.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts