Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Shabazza said:
oh, you DID ask everyone on this board if he's a choker, when you posted this thread, don't you? ;)
stop insulting other, when they give there opinion :rolleyes:
Do you understand what a rhetorical question is? :)

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
R.Federer said:
AGASSI FAN!!!!

He did not choke. All the choking pressure was on Roge. He had FOUR CHANCES TO BREAK for 6-5 and could not.

Please, say something NICE ABOUT ANDRE. He put in 200%, and even to me as a Roge fan, it was heartbreaking to see him so gracious at the net to congratulate Roge. It was so sad to see him go.... of course I wanted Roge to win. But ROGE had to win this, andre DID NOT hand it to him.

Completely agree. While I was very happy with the results, my heart did go out to Andre and he really did put in way above 100%/

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
This is hard for everyone who appreciates andre, to hear this after he put in so much effort. At 3-0 in the final set, it was only a one -break difference and I did not think that this is near finishing. It was competitive, andre put in so much effort, the grunting/hustling to get to farout balls that lazy 25-year olds cannot get to.

I know you are pissed at andre for how you see this as choking, Agassifan, I hope you can say one nice thing because it is over now and andre could do with some good positive vibes and all set to win in Melbourne!

·
Registered
10,023 Posts
AgassiFan said:
I didn't ask for your opinion, bland fanboy.
if you're not looking for people to respond then don't start threads. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
AgassiFan said:
Do you understand what a rhetorical question is? :)
I do, but you should know that many on this board doesn't know this and expect them to react - it's your fault :p and no this doesn't include PauliM ;)

·
F***ing have it
17,852 Posts
The key was not to confirm the break when leading 4-2 in the third. He served with fear or careless :shrug: With Andre leading 5-2, that would have been another story.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Opppsss there we have one heck of a disappointed AA fan...

...come on AA played a great match - he just happend to play against the best player in the world who for some reason causes others to make silly errors. By the way his opponent had a few of those too...

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't think Andre had the energy to win the match. He put everything he had into sets 2 and 3 but Federer gifted him a lot of points in those sets to give him a chance.

Overall an ok match. Federer was patchy. Agassi tried but never really looked like winning. When 4-2 became 4-3 in the third it was all over. He had that one opportunity and he threw it away.

To call it a choke is harsh but at this level that is what it was.

The 4th set was embarassing. Andre stopped running for shots - hence Federer winners that most players would have got to.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
You might be the most negative fan of a player on this whole board :lol:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Timariot said:
I'm not a big Andre fan, but why doesn't Agassi'fan' just shut the fuck up...Agassi played a better match vs Fed than anyone else in this tournament. He saved 7 set points in the 1st set, that's some choking, huh?
Listen Agassi played his ass off...Fed played kinda crappy...you know why? Cause Agassi was taking it to him and not letting up...that's the sign of a champion. Fed another champion played his best in the tie break...this is what champions do!!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
kundalini said:
I don't think Andre had the energy to win the match. .
You'd be suprised how much energy reserves Andre has when he is FEELING GOOD and WINNING... versus when he loses the 1st set and never really has any intensity in the subsequent sets. And before you say he won the 2nd today, remember that he was only serving at 40% in the 2nd set versus the crisp 70% in the 1st; against Federer that's suicide - just ask Roddick.

Against Malisse and Ginepri, Andre looked exhaused in the 4th, but as soon as he got ahead in the 5th, it was like someone wound up the energizer bunny - and he started blowing aces and ripping return-winners left and right...

Matches like these come down to literally one 1st service miss here, one UE there... and it's the difference between losing in 4 and winning in 4.

And not only has this tightening/choking happened a lot against Pete in the Slams, but also against Federer just a year ago at USO - remember that match, anyone? Andre was flat in the 1st, lost it, people said "he is done", but he stormed back to easily take the 2nd, then controlled most rallies in the 3rd only to "choke" on bigger points, which gave Fed a close win, then once again had to scramble to stay alive in the 4th, only to miss tons of sitters in the 5th....

I didn't think Agassi could play well enough to beat Federer and made it known in dozen of posts. That said, it just so happened that Andre had a FANTASTIC chance to beat Federer today - if you were to tell him he was a couple of decent swings away from a 3-6, 6-2, 5-2 lead BEFORE the match began, he'd be creaming his pants for hours....

Choker.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Maybe Andre's not a choker... maybe he's just not as good as Fed and Sampras.. But you're right maybe it's mental. He's certainly lost a lot of slam finals.. and the ones he won are not against the toughest opponents.

Goran, Stich, Clement, Schuettler, Todd Martin, Medvedev.

·
Registered
696 Posts
it's true, if Andre had gotten it to 5-2 in the third, it's a 95 percent chance he goes up two sets to one. And if Andre goes up two sets to one, it's a better than 50-50 chance he goes on to win the match and the title. I have to watch the tape to see what exactly Andre did at 4-2, 30-0 to lose four straight points and let Feds back into the set.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
mishar said:
Maybe Andre's not a choker... maybe he's just not as good as Fed and Sampras.. .
I see you're among the many who missed the entire point. Of course Agassi is not as good as Federer or Sampras. Duh!

That's why it's extremely important that he plays extremely well NOT only on 'less critical' points but also on the 'hugely critical' ones as well - and he clearly has shown that he can't do the latter consistently against those 2 even when they don't play well.

The VERY SAME "sitters" that he hit into the corner against Blake and Malisse and Ginepri with cold blood, he BLEW against Sampras and Federer.

And judging by Zen Master's language and facial expressions in the 3rd and early in the 4th set, he KNEW he blew it big-time.

People keep looking at the tail end of the tie-breaker and the 4th set as some kind of proof that Federer played too brilliantly, not even realizing that Agassi's choking took place BEFORE Fed settle into a real groove - and arguably the reason Fed settled into a real groove is because he felt the air go out of the Agassi balloon at 4-2 as well as very first few points in the TB...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
deliveryman said:
AgassiFan: It's a game, buddy. You're gonna give yourself ulcers.

Frankly, I am too young and too awesome to get an ulcer let alone multiple ulcers.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Not a choker, just a tired 35 year old who was facing someone who hadn't drunk the kool-aid and wasn't going to roll over. The match should've been over in three sets. As Mary C said after one of the men went on a bender about how well Andre played the first three sets "but he only won one." That was the story of the match.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
amierin said:
.The match should've been over in three sets
Huh?

You had Federer serving OUT OF HIS MIND (near 80 % and no double-faults for most of the match), and the match still was tightly contested every step of the way until middle of the 3rd tie-breaker when Andre threw in 3 UE and Fed cruised on home...

Andre was more careless with the lead than tired. When he was down, he didn't think - he reacted which he does very well. But when he got ahead, you could see him take the foot off the gas pedal and start "thinking" and hitting practice-quality shots middle of the court, hoping Federer would continue to play conservatively...

If you don't keep Fed on the run and don't convert your chances when present themselves, sooner or later he will get into a rhythm - and then it's winner city and you're dead.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Jeez. With fans like this one, who needs haters?

Poor Agassi. He played the best match I've seen him play against Roger. And he still lost. Still, he is such an incredible asset to the game.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts