Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tsitsipas was awful in 1st set, got broken with many errors. In 2nd set he held his own very well till 4*-4, when a lengthy service game ensued.
He had at least 4 GPs, but couldn't take them, always lacked the finishing shot at 2nd time, then Zverev took his 3rd BP by a netted UE.
The German didn't even face a single BP.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Once again, Zverev plays some of his best tennis in Washington SF. Tsitsipas was utterly overpowered in the first set and even though he held serve well in the second, the result never really looked in doubt. The 9 deuce game at 4-4 in the second set featuring Tsitsipas’s dive volley winner was the highlight of the match, it was pretty enjoyable stuff.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Tsitsipas had no serve in the 1st serve and was just getting smothered from the baseline. Then his serve percentage dramatically improved in the second set and made things tougher. However, he still got broken in a titanic last service game that sealed the deal.

Zverev has actually improved a lot at the net. Still some obvious errors, but not nearly as bad as he was a year or so ago: #TheMischaEffect. It pains me to admit it but Zverev's high % bashing game is really the future of men's tennis. When he plays like he did today there is very little one can do to overcome him (his serving is near flawless, his defense is rock solid, and his aggression too much to handle). Scary times ahead.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Smart scheduling and great strategic planning by Sascha, as always. He perfectly used RG and Wimbledon to peak for Washington and Canada.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Lendl coaching influence seems to have improved Zverev.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
All you need to know about this match in two gifs.

Set #1:

Set #2:

Zverev is too solid for other youngsters rn. He's not afraid of them, has no self doubts and as a result occasional mistakes don't snowball into larger lapses, as it happens sometimes against more seasoned players. At least until he meets someone with even more self belief. Tsitsipas didn't have much on return and had to work extra hard to hold. The result felt NID all the way through.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Tsitsipas had no serve in the 1st serve and was just getting smothered from the baseline. Then his serve percentage dramatically improved in the second set and made things tougher. However, he still got broken in a titanic last service game that sealed the deal.

Zverev has actually improved a lot at the net. Still some obvious errors, but not nearly as bad as he was a year or so ago: #TheMischaEffect. It pains me to admit it but Zverev's high % bashing game is really the future of men's tennis. When he plays like he did today there is very little one can do to overcome him (his serving is near flawless, his defense is rock solid, and his aggression too much to handle). Scary times ahead.
Yeah the future arrived in tennis since a while ago (Redonditos pun;) ). For these kind of court it seems perfect for his game. He'll keep perfecting it it appears in order to bash more than rely on pushing and you'll get Delpo 2.0 in not much time provided he adds some varity also plus the greats aging and lack of depth= the next big thing. It remains to be seen though, in Slams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
nice practice session for Sascha, especially at the net. Tsitsipas had no business here, although I have to admit he is an interesting player for the future. Was able to include some highlight plays, but not consistent enough to win anything. Sascha should easily take the title here as Rublev has already been demolished by Sascha twice and de Minaur is way to unexperienced to win a 500 final (I know he almost beat Sascha at Davis Cup)

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
How was Zverev's forehand? .
I'm asking because it can be quite a mess...

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Zverev junior must be the player with the highest level of self-belief among Top1000. I like it, this "I am the best in the world" attitude will get him far.
It's a bit of a double edged sword. On one hand, self-belief is definitely important and helps him to steamroll "softer" players. On the other hand, when he stumbles across tougher than expected resistance, it often turns into "I am the best in the world! How and why the fudge am I not winning easily? Why, mommy daddy, why?! :hysteric:" Eventually he'll grow out of it, I reckon. But as of now he still needs to find the fine balance between confidence and realistic expectations.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Zverev is a born winner.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
How was Zverev's forehand? .
I'm asking because it can be quite a mess...
It has actually been very strong this tournament (at least for his standards). All in all I like the developement in that shot since Rotterdam/Acapulco, even though there are still matches where it completely breaks down (like against Fritz in Wimbledon :facepalm:).

·
Registered
21,269 Posts
Zverev is so good in this BO3 events, one of the main positive things about him is that he actually improved from his breakthrough 2017 season.

Haven’t we seen so many younger players who had a big solid breakthrough where they break the top 5-10 and then regress? We’ve seen with all of gen u, where they remained stagnant. Kyrgios hasn’t improved since 2015. While Zverev of 2018 is comfortably better than 2017 Zverev

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
:surprise: you’re back? I thought you completely abandoned this account.
I'm back, just like Novak. You're disappointed, aren't you? :grin2: Looks like a few weeks away from MTF are enough for DA conspiracy theories to appear. But you might be partially right - I've heard that my grandma was trolling on MTF recently.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts