Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Washington R2: Young Def. Benneteau 6-4 6-3

Another semis run is possible here. He plays Istomin next.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Not surprised honestly. Bennetau appart from Indian Wells had a shit season in singles. Also the fact that he had a 1st round BYE didn't make him any good. He needs matches and practice

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
:facepalm: julien...

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Donald Young definitely played better in the 2nd set so good win. He just needs 7 ATP main draw wins to match his career high of 19 in 2011.

Also, you add another "Career Top 40" victory to the list to go along with these names.

Murray, Wawrinka, Chela, Monfils, Dimitrov, Haas, Lopez, Seppi, Sela, Garcia-Lopez, Melzer, and Baghdatis.

If he beats Istomin, that's another name on the list.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Donald Young definitely played better in the 2nd set so good win. He just needs 7 ATP main draw wins to match his career high of 19 in 2011.

Also, you add another "Career Top 40" victory to the list to go along with these names.

Murray, Wawrinka, Chela, Monfils, Dimitrov, Haas, Lopez, Seppi, Sela, Garcia-Lopez, Melzer, and Baghdatis.

If he beats Istomin, that's another name on the list.
Yay, quality Young fan. Thanks for the info.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Come on DY do something here, Istomin is winnable also

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was at this match:

I sat down near the front and center of court one. This court has a very intimate setting, with seating only on one side, which for some reason is on the side facing the afternoon sun. They've installed a canopy over the seats, but the poles which hold up the canopy, distributed a few feet apart, detract from the view of the action, which is only a few feet away.

As the warm ups commenced, a rather chubby black woman with a baseball had approached and sat in the row in front of me, a little to the right. I immediately recognized her has the mother of Donald Young. I guess she is still involved in his coaching. Then, a white guy in a baseball hat came by and sat next to her. I think he is also involved in his coaching, but I'm not sure. He looked like John Isner's old coach.

Then the match started. Neither player has any big weapons, so it was somewhat of a tactical battle, each trying to move the other around the court as much as possible. Early on, Young tried attacking the net, but was unsuccessful and was broken early. Young had break points in two of Julian's early service games, he even had 0-40 in one, but failed to get the break back. So, the set got to *4-3. At this point, Julian seemed to choke/fall apart somewhat. Young didn't really do anything special to get the break back. I think maybe the pressure Young put on his service games earlier in the set just paid dividends because Benneteau just cracked in this game. Once Young got the break back, the crowd got behind him and Julian played pretty mediocre the rest of the set and Young got another break for the set.

Young kept the momentum up at the start of the second set and broke for 2-0. He did get broken right back for 2-1. He was able to break again later in the set and afterwards Benneteau took an injury timeout for his leg. He had been stretching it a lot during the match so I think something was not right with it. Young served out the match at 5-3.

I think a year a go Benneteau would routine Young. But a lot can change in tennis, especially when one is 33 years old. For his part, Young was solid, but nothing I saw in his game was spectacular or hinted at a top 20 or even top 30 career in my opinion. He still makes too many UE's and lacks power and size. His defensive game is not good enough in my opinion, even though he is very fast on his feet, to offset his overall lack of power. He would have to become ultra consistent, kind of like Nishikori, to make it really high in the rankings.

One note: Young looked up at his mom several times during the match and cussed, using the F word more than once. One time he missed an easy volley, and looked up at her and said "I'm f__ing up." At least he was honest.

·
Your visions will happen
47,128 Posts
Great match report SERVivor.

I still hate that his mother is still an integral part of the coaching team, just cut the umbilical cord already, Jesus. He will never EVER achieve his full potential as long as she is still there.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Great match report SERVivor.

I still hate that his mother is still an integral part of the coaching team, just cut the umbilical cord already, Jesus. He will never EVER achieve his full potential as long as she is still there.
I know. I felt like telling her to get him a top coach. Someone like Stefanki could really bring out his full potential. But, I still think he has limitations but maybe someone like Stefanki could improve his consistency. I think consistency is key for him because of a lack of true weapons.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I love it when Donald Young wins matches. I don't know if he can ever be a top 10 player, but he has the talent to be consistently in top 50.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts