Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually a fairly competitive and entertaining match. But as impressive as Alex' ballstriking was in the first one and a half sets, it's quite concerning how he lost the plot after being up a set and a break without facing any BPs, just to get broken back and stuggle in every service game himself afterwards. Didn't have any consequences today obviously, but he has already lost matches in similar fashion. Darcis in DC comes to my mind immediately, Dzumhur at RG after 6-2 3-1 BP as well, just to name a few, even though he went on to win the latter...

·
23,063 Posts
Washington R16: A. Zverev def. M. Zverev 6-3 7-5

In the first brother's singles matchup since the Melzer brothers met (in an apparently emotional match), the younger Zverev finally notches a win over the older one, interestingly with some tactics you would think Mischa would use more (i.e. finishing in transition). It was a competitive match with some chances for both players but Mischa wasn't able to convert 1 of 3 BPs (while Sascha converted 3 of 3). Interestingly Mishca employed a baseline strategy with his funky FH and it actually kinda worked. Wonder why he didn't mix it up more, knowing Sascha is known to be a bit net averse (although as I said, he was quite solid on that front today).

W/UE stats were balanced for Sascha, while Mischa's differential was quite negative. It was high intensity (and not actually awkward -- it was a match with not much nerves IMO that it seems the brothers want to really beat the other, but doing it respectfully of course :lol:) with some great points, as Mischa just tried to hang on in the pressure rallies. Had this one great hustle point where Mischa used his great touch to pass Sascha. Sascha also saved important points with good serves too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: Washington R16: A. Zverev def. M. Zverev 6-3 7-5

In the first brother's singles matchup since the Melzer brothers met (in an apparently emotional match), the younger Zverev finally notches a win over the older one, interestingly with some tactics you would think Mischa would use more (i.e. finishing in transition). It was a competitive match with some chances for both players but Mischa wasn't able to convert 1 of 3 BPs (while Sascha converted 3 of 3). Interestingly Mishca employed a baseline strategy with his funky FH and it actually kinda worked. Wonder why he didn't mix it up more, knowing Sascha is known to be a bit net averse (although as I said, he was quite solid on that front today).

W/UE stats were balanced for Sascha, while Mischa's differential was quite negative. It was high intensity (and not actually awkward -- it was a match with not much nerves IMO that it seems the brothers want to really beat the other, but doing it respectfully of course :lol:) with some great points, as Mischa just tried to hang on in the pressure rallies. Had this one great hustle point where Mischa used his great touch to pass Sascha. Sascha also saved important points with good serves too.
What do you mean finally? It was their first ever ATP meeting. I'm sure Sascha has been beating him frequently over the years unofficially as well.

·
23,063 Posts
@bsing11 Not exactly -- anything below ATP 250 to Grand Slam Main Draw matches are not counted in the H2H, but ITF, Challengers and Tour Qualies are counted in the ITF H2H -- according to ATP, Mischa beat Sascha in the 2012 Dallas Challenger qualifiers and the 2014 Houston qualifiers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yes, i looked that up after your reply. He really beat up on a 15 year old Sascha in 2012, much closer in 2014 with a third set retirement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts