Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some good hitting, but Medvedev was just out of gas by the end of the match. Not sure a problem with the heat or conditioning more generally.

Shapo was down 1-4 30-40 and hit a forehand that was called out which he challenged and it clipped the line by an inch. One inch more and Medvedev takes that match 6-1 in the third.

Decent start by Shapo to the hard court swing, though needs to up his game with so many points to defend the next month.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's crazy that a frustration challenge created a 5 game swing. Medvedev was completely exhausted he didn't even try to run down drop shots.

·
28,452 Posts
It's crazy that a frustration challenge created a 5 game swing. Medvedev was completely exhausted he didn't even try to run down drop shots.
It's crazy that a ATP pro is that exhausted in the third set. (Unless he had an underlying issue)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's crazy that a ATP pro is that exhausted in the third set. (Unless he had an underlying issue)
I really agree with this. I was shocked to see he had to sit down between points as he could barely move at some points. Shapovalov did look as if the heat bothered him but looks in fantastic condition. I don't understand why a young man who's a pro athlete should have such poor conditioning. He's also very thin for his height and that could cause multiple joint and muscles problems in the not too distant future.

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally. I hedged in my post because it could be an issue, but it honestly just looked like he had nothing left after 90 minutes of tennis. The second set lasted 25 minutes. I know he had a long match the day before, but still...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Totally. I hedged in my post because it could be an issue, but it honestly just looked like he had nothing left after 90 minutes of tennis. The second set lasted 25 minutes. I know he had a long match the day before, but still...
was it very hot? Though knowing Medvedev this isn't uncommon. His body just doesn't seem like it's built for the grind.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Was at this match. Really hot and humid but Medvedev looked like he was about to die after an hour. Very strange.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
You should have seen Vasek the other night, the man looked like he couldn't stand any longer by the end.

The humidity is brutal in Washington this time of year, so I get it, but these guys are supposed to be extremely well conditioned athletes.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Medvedev definitely has issues with humidity. Saw him last year at one point (forget the tournament) and you could tell within 45 minutes that the guy was toast. At the time I thought, "wow at guy that has even more issues with humidity than Vasek" ... can't say that about too many players. Actually, I really don't think one can blame the players that much for this --- as much as guys like Vasek say "I've got to figure out how to handle those conditions better", a lot of it is just luck of the genes. Kind of like telling Schwartzman to train harder to be taller.

BTW, Denis really took too long to figure that out. He needed to adjust his game and just keep balls in play to make Medvedev work harder until he collapsed. By the end he was doing more of that (can't accuse Denis of pushing too often :) ). Anyways, as was indicated at the beginning of the thread, that successful challenge at 1-4 *30-40 turned the match. Kind of lucky.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Medvedev has always had conditioning problems. There was a match a few years ago he was bossing Djokovic around and then suddenly you could tell he was tiring and then just lost the entire match.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Medvedev has always had conditioning problems. There was a match a few years ago he was bossing Djokovic around and then suddenly you could tell he was tiring and then just lost the entire match.
It was last year in Davis Cup. 36 64 61 10 ret.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Shapo needed lots of luck to scrap through this match, had the ball was out by an inch at 1-4 30-40 it would have been game over and Medvedev would have won 6-1...then after holding Medvedev got very tight and exhausted and Shapo outgrinded him for the W.

I just really don't get why Shapo keeps going for the lines so much on such big points in the match, there's really no need to paint the lines and hope for the best when you're down a break in a deciding set and a point away from losing the entire match. Especially since he's not playing a top 10/20 player but rather Medvedev who's not the best mover and is an easy guy to beat by pushing him side to side.

Had this court not have hawkeye (and that's usually the case for smaller courts outside the big 2 in each non-major tournament), it surely would have been game over, so he's very lucky to get through it. He just needs to learn to play smarter in those kind of moments instead of just ripping big shots when he's not in a great rhythm and hoping it works out.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Medvedev just can't handle heat. He seemed the same at the AO when it was very hot but not humid. Against Chung the first set was a close tie break but i think the next two were breadsticks. Chung was playing well but you could tell that Medvedev was just gassed. He's 22 years old. he should be much fitter than that.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
BTW, Denis really took too long to figure that out. He needed to adjust his game and just keep balls in play to make Medvedev work harder until he collapsed. By the end he was doing more of that (can't accuse Denis of pushing too often :) ). Anyways, as was indicated at the beginning of the thread, that successful challenge at 1-4 *30-40 turned the match. Kind of lucky.
Yeah, he couldn't put the pieces together for some time, which happens to him quite often. Was the better player pretty much the entire match. Was nearly untouchable on serve for many games in a row, while Medvedev struggled with most of his service games, and then a momentary lapse in concentration lead to a break. In the third set that break was followed by a little implosion and almost second break, which would've been gg. He needed to slow down a lot (and a hefty amount of luck) to actually take advantage of the significant edge he had. Medvedev's level started to drop at the end of the first set. Nonetheless he was hitting very well (camera angle really accentuated how hard these guys had to work for their points). But insufficient athleticism has always been and still is one of his main problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts