Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Zverev

Votes: 12 66.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two young guns one against another. Nishioka born 1995, Zverev born 1997. Sounds like an exciting match up.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nishioka with two huge wins over young guns last year on hard - Coric and Kokkinakis and came as an underdog in both of them. Not really a player you can understimate especially on hard. Anyway a lot of maches for him lately so he can be tired.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Nishioka comes into this one on the back of a couple of hard court challengers and coming through qualies. Zverev comes in on the back of three clay tournaments and has won a total of 1 match on ATP hard courts.

Zverev is a better player at the moment but I don't think he's the overwhelming favorite in the slightest.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Like Rustie said, Nishioka has played several tournaments on hardcourts already, so he's probably got the advantage. Fingers crossed for Alex though :):)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I saw Nishioka fist pumping every winner against a 14 year old, so on that basis I hope Zverev takes this. At least he doesn't have to play Robredo again :p

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I saw Nishioka fist pumping every winner against a 14 year old, so on that basis I hope Zverev takes this. At least he doesn't have to play Robredo again :p

Nishioka fist pumping and cheer himself against basically everyone. It's a part of his nature. He is a hot blooded little warrior. :) Funny basis you have. When to cheer yourself against opponent is a sin :D I saw Zverev did really nasty things in the past btw .

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Nishioka fist pumping and cheer himself against basically everyone. It's a part of his nature. He is a hot blooded little warrior. :) Funny basis you have. When to cheer yourself against opponent is a sin :D I saw Zverev did nasty things in the past btw .
Yeah I don't like either if I'm honest. He beat a 14 year old kid and he was celebrating as if he's just won a match at a slam or something. Zverev seems arrogant that's his problem.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yeah, Nishioka is not a younger, shorter version of Nishikori or anything like that, personality-wise. He yells, throws his racquet, smashes it, you name it. I watched the Lexington QF, against fellow Japanese Uchiyama (eventual runner-up), and he yelled, was talking to himself all the time, threw his racquet multiples times, whacked the ball into a no man's land, and after losing the final set, smashed the racquet into the ground a dozen times. He could've been disqualified in an ATP tournament. It was funny as the stats were superimposed on the screen when the match was over to hide much of the image, and all I got was the awesome high-frequency sounds of the racquet hitting the ground over and over again, LOL.

Losing a close match to a lower-ranked player from his own country must have hurt his ego, especially since he looked frustrated with his physical condition from the 2nd set on. But he does tend to get very emotional and engaged in matches. Not really of malicious nature, though (unlike, say, Rublev). Most of the "young guns" today are not calm, quiet types, and he's not an exception. The calmest one is probably Chung.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yeah I don't like either if I'm honest. He beat a 14 year old kid and he was celebrating as if he's just won a match at a slam or something. Zverev seems arrogant that's his problem.
Well Aliassime is pretty good for a 14 year old(If that's who your referring to). It just shows fighting spirit, not like he was beating him 6-0,5-1 it was a competitive match.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah, Nishioka is not a younger, shorter version of Nishikori or anything like that, personality-wise. He yells, throws his racquet, smashes it, you name it. I watched the Lexington QF, against fellow Japanese Uchiyama, and he yelled, threw his racquet multiples times, whacked the ball into a no man's land, and after losing the final set, smashed the racquet into the ground a dozen times. He could've been disqualified in an ATP tournament. It was funny as the stats were superimposed on the screen when the match was over to hide much of the image, and all I got was the awesome high-frequency sounds of the racquet hitting the ground over and over again, LOL.

Losing a close match to a lower-ranked player from his own country must have hurt his ego, especially since he looked frustrated with his physical condition from the 2nd set on.

He tends to get very emotional and engaged in matches, though not always. Not really of malicious nature, though (unlike, say, Rublev). Most of the "young guns" today are not calm, quiet types, and he's not an exception.
I was really hoping he tank this match :D 1/2 final means he was going to skip Washington and this right now wont be happening. I dont think anger after losing against Uchiyama was about his ego. It was just a very close match and Nishioka missed match point at 4-5. I have to say he was also a better player just couldn't held his serve after a break. Anyway from the first video of Nishioka few years ago i knew i'm gonna like this guy. He literally gave everything and was fighting for every point like mad and i saw a tons of passion. I like players who fight for every point. He is an absolute illustration of that. Very passionate player. And maybe that is the reason he is on verge on top 100 unlike many others. He also have big height disadvantage and close to zero wild cards given unlike many other young guns.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I was really hoping he tank this match :D 1/2 final means he was going to skip Washington and this right now wont be happening. I dont think anger after losing against Uchiyama was about his ego. It was just a very close match and Nishioka missed match point at 4-5. I have to say he was also a better player just couldn't held his serve after a break. Anyway from the first video of Nishioka few years ago i knew i'm gonna like this guy. He literally gave everything and was fighting for every point like mad and i saw a tons of passion. I like players who fight for every point. He is an absolute illustration of that. Very passionate player. And maybe that is the reason he is on verge on top 100 unlike many others. He also have big height disadvantage and close to zero wild cards given unlike many other young guns.
He may not exactly be one of my "favorites", but I do like him for the same reason as yours. It's interesting to see how far he can go with such physical limitations. He doesn't even have the physical strength/body thickness of Schwarzman, another 170cm(or less)-er, after all. The skills and passion are all he's got. That's kinda cool.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Well Aliassime is pretty good for a 14 year old(If that's who your referring to). It just shows fighting spirit, not like he was beating him 6-0,5-1 it was a competitive match.
Yeah he is, but at the same time it's kind of embarrasing he's going to the extent of fist pumping. He should be puffing his cheeks instead if you ask me :lol:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Zverev is such a pusher that I feel Nishioka could do well here. I didn't know him but I've been watching him lately and he moves so well... He should be able to frustrate Zverev ground game. If he can serve well he should win this.

Nishioka in 3.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yeah he is, but at the same time it's kind of embarrasing he's going to the extent of fist pumping. He should be puffing his cheeks instead if you ask me :lol:
Everyone has their ways of keeping focus, fist pumping is just a way for some to keep them self at 100% for each point, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and any coach wants to see that. If its a winner or a UE, its not relevant at all, that's not the point of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts