Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this entire match live, and I was disappointed by Jack Sock's bad fade in the second set. Sock had negative body language in that set (and IMO to some degree in the first set) and ended up being broken three times in the second, something that simply shouldn't happen. On the other hand, Steve Johnson played a very good match and kept a solid level of play the entire way. IMO he can beat John Isner on Saturday night if he maintains that level of play.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,534 Posts
Tough night for Sock. Steve has been playing solid, may have a chance against Isner who must be tired somewhat.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
more trash taken out by the ncaa legend - :bowdown:stevie 'the truth' johnson.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
This result is surprising though. Sock and Johnson are about as similar as 2 players can get with Sock being the slightly better of the 2.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read in Twitter that the umpire in this match actually challenged a line call?
What happened was strange, and I'm not 100% clear what happened. (I didn't wear the on-site radio for this match.) It appeared there was a let call but the ball may have instead been out. Sock did not appear to call for the replay, but the replay was made anyway (i.e. the chair umpire called for the replay). IIRC, the ball clipped the line, so the line person's call was correct.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Steve Johnson's mom is a math professor. He just played smarter tennis than Sock. But they are both playing well and should be top 30 soon enough.

·
23,473 Posts
Steve Johnson's mom is a math professor. He just played smarter tennis than Sock. But they are both playing well and should be top 30 soon enough.
My mother too but I'm not sure if I could play smart tennis. :lol:

·
Registered
16,664 Posts
Sock will never be Top10. NEVER

·
Registered
11,765 Posts
Sock did not look too interested in this match.
Peeople were making the exact same excuse for Sock when he lost to Kudla. He only decides to be uninterested when he's losing. Johnson might be a bit boring but his game is quite effective on these courts and he's making steady progress up the rankings.

·
Your visions will happen
48,513 Posts
I always liked Johnson more than the rest

More complete game, and he is college educated

1 - 19 of 19 Posts