Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My take:

- it seems that when back and elbow issues are over, Rublyov can serve on some solid level - not exactly a level for 6'3' player, but muuuuch better than at the beginning of this season,
- while we all know Rublyov can hit ball very hard, but we don't see that often variety of angles he used today - that's as positive sign as his (potentially) improved serve
- 59th in race after this win, I hope he will rebuild his ranking in next months, close to top40 with final
- big favourite against De Minaur IMHO, he is comfortable against defensive baseliners when his serve is on, and quick win against Kudla shouldn't affect his chances later

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Andrey Rublyov is overall better and could win this tournament. Rooting for him now anyway!

And good to see Denis Kudla playing good tennis again.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Expected result. Kudla is limited, even when he plays his best, it's not enough against good players. Rublev still far from his best form, but not looking bad either.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
The ATP site uses Rublev. The English and Russian alphabets are so very different I guess that is the best the ATP could do.
There are two different letters in the Russian alphabet, "е" and "ё". Unfortunately, for some reason the dots in "ё" are sometimes omitted (even in legal documents). The correct transliteration for "е" is "е", and for "ё" it is "yo" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_(Cyrillic)). Andrey is actually "Рублёв" and not "Рублев", but the transliteration of the second form is used.

Also, in Russian the second vowel is stressed, not the first one ("Рублёв", pronounced roughly as "Rublyov"). But it is a common issue: one should pronounce "Khachanov", "Medvedev", "Kasatkina", etc.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
There are two different letters in the Russian alphabet, "е" and "ё". Unfortunately, for some reason the dots in "ё" are sometimes omitted (even in legal documents). The correct transliteration for "е" is "е", and for "ё" it is "yo" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_(Cyrillic)). Andrey is actually "Рублёв" and not "Рублев", but the transliteration of the second form is used.

Also, in Russian the second vowel is stressed, not the first one ("Рублёв", pronounced roughly as "Rublyov"). But it is a common issue: one should pronounce "Khachanov", "Medvedev", "Kasatkina", etc.
Thanks for your information. I find the Russian alphabet so interesting. I love the way Russian writing looks, but I can't read it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts